AST renewal - need to re-protect deposit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AST renewal - need to re-protect deposit?

I am a landlord for a single property, the six month AST recently having been completed. The tenant appears to want to sign a new AST for a bit more security. I protected the previous deposit with the DPS (albeit late as I was unaware of the need to do so) - would I need to reprotect the original deposit.

The tenants remain the same, no further deposits will be made. I have received conflicting advice on this - even ringing the DPS I was told no further action would be necessary, but I can recall hearing that a new AST would mean re-protecting the deposit.

On the face of it, signing a new AST and then providing the prescribed information immediately would suit myself as I have failed to do so previously.

Would appreciate any thoughts on the matter. Dal

As far as I am aware, the DPS advice is correct. Do nothing and let the deposit remain where it is. The alternative is what? Get the tenant to agree to let the entire deposit be refunded to you for re-placing in the DPS, or refund the entire deposit to the tenant, collect this off him and re-lodge it with the DPS? It doesn't make sense!
    I normally give my tenants one 6 month AST and then let it continue on a statutory periodic basis. I have just lost a tenant after a tenancy lasting 9 months. When his 6 months AST was up, the statutory periodic bit kicked in. When he gave notice and left after 9 months, the property condition enabled me to return hia deposit in full. I instructed the DPS to return his deposit and as I have heard nothing further, I assume they have returned it as insructed.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X