Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terminating two lettings on one-year term expiry

Hi,

I have tenants that have rented my property on a fix term contract of 12 months and its coming to the end of the tenancy. I do not wish to renew their contract, as I need to refurbish the property in order to sell it.

The property is occupied by two individuals who share the house and all the facility within it but obtain their own contracts (assured shorthold tenancy).

Ive read around and some people are saying I have to give one month notice others say 2 months, which one is correct? Also do i need to state any section notice?

This is the first time ive done this, any advice would be much appreciated.

regards
    a

Originally posted by alladin View Post
    Hi,

I have tenants that have rented my property on a fix term contract of 12 months and its coming to the end of the tenancy. I do not wish to renew their contract, as I need to refurbish the property in order to sell it.

The property is occupied by two individuals who share the house and all the facility within it but obtain their own contracts (assured shorthold tenancy).

Ive read around and some people are saying I have to give one month notice others say 2 months, which one is correct? Also do i need to state any section notice?

This is the first time ive done this, any advice would be much appreciated.

regards
    a
    Unless you have served a section 21 (Notice requiring possession) at least two months prior to the end of the twelve month contract, then you should serve it now, and give at least two months' notice to co-incide with a day when the rent is due.

If both tenants have their own contracts you will need to issue a separate section 21 notice to each.

There are useful versions of this notice available on this site.

Someone legally qualified may be able to advise youw whether the situation changes once the tenancy becomes periodic (ie the initial AST ends without your having served a s21 in time). I'm not sure about that.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

1. You need to serve a Notice under s.21.

2. If it's served during fixed term, it's under s.21(1)(b) and lasts until later of:
      a. term expiry date; or
      b. two months from service date.

3. If it's served after fixed term, it's under s.21(4)(a) and lasts until:
      a. two months from service date; PLUS
      b. up to end of the rent period next ending after those two months.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

thanks

Thank you both for your advice, much appreciated.

Regards
        a

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X