Tenants have left - and trashed the house.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenants have left - and trashed the house.

My awful tenants left today - their eviction notice is up tomorrow - and I'm so relieved they have gone but they have deliberately made as much mess as possible - without actually breaking windows or anything. I was alerted to their antics by their neighbor (a friend of mine because it's my old house) and we called the police who were very sympathetic but couldn't do anything but suggested I take them to the small claims court. It's going to cost hundreds of ££s to clear up after them and completely re-decorate, and they destroyed my garden, but I still don't really think it's worth going to court - from what I've read in this forum this seems a common occurrence and I've just got to cut my losses. I had no bond (I was promised a Bond Board Certificate which wasn't forthcoming) The thing is - they were, and no doubt will continue to be, in receipt of HB - can the Council do anything about this as they are supporting them and they do this to landlords properties? I know I'm angry at the moment but I just wish there was something I could do so they don't just get away with what they have done to my lovely house.

Originally posted by animo View Post
    My awful tenants left today - their eviction notice is up tomorrow - and I'm so relieved they have gone but they have deliberately made as much mess as possible - without actually breaking windows or anything. I was alerted to their antics by their neighbor (a friend of mine because it's my old house) and we called the police who were very sympathetic but couldn't do anything but suggested I take them to the small claims court. It's going to cost hundreds of ££s to clear up after them and completely re-decorate, and they destroyed my garden, but I still don't really think it's worth going to court - from what I've read in this forum this seems a common occurrence and I've just got to cut my losses. I had no bond (I was promised a Bond Board Certificate which wasn't forthcoming) The thing is - they were, and no doubt will continue to be, in receipt of HB - can the Council do anything about this as they are supporting them and they do this to landlords properties? I know I'm angry at the moment but I just wish there was something I could do so they don't just get away with what they have done to my lovely house.
    I don't know what your legal position is, but you have my sympathies. We did a year-long house & job exchange years ago with a couple who managed to ruin just about everything we left in our house. They chipped the enamel sinks, they burnt the carpet, and put most of the soft furnishings in the garden shed, where they went mouldy...and lots worse. Their response when we rang them up (to say how shocked we were to find the house in that state), was that material things didn't matter to them!!! It's horrible to be confronted with all that mindless mess and destruction - and expensive to put right.

Perhaps one of the lawyers on this forum can advise you as to your chances of getting any of the cost of the refurb back. Good luck.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply and your sympathy and though I'm really sorry you had a bad time too, it's nice to know there's folk out there who understand what this feels like - it is so unpleasant to have one's property maliciously damaged and spoilt. At the moment I am full of such vengeful thoughts and feel I want to do horrible things to get back at them which would probably be illegal so it really helps to vent my spleen in this forum - but any advice would be welcome too. Thank you

Comment

You absolutely must go to court and get a CCJ against them. You may not get any money but the CCj will go with them in future . Do it for the next poor bugger that might get landed with them.

Comment

But will this not be very expensive and time consuming? I already have the mess and rubbish to deal with and having work done on my house before I can let it again is going to take the best part of a month. If, as the police say, they haven't actually broken the law then it may not be successful. Does anyone have any sucess with taking tenants to court for this sort of thing?

Comment

Bill them for the work using moneyclaimonline. £25 easy. If you don't have their forwarding address use your property as their last known. No need to go to court unless they dispute the claim (which they wont if sent to your property or course), and after two weeks you get judgement by default.

Comment

yes I would definitly go to small claims for this and put a ccj on their credit reports! Couldn't you also get a debt collection money to go after them and make their life a bit difficult? Some operate on no win no fee basis.

Comment

once you have got the CCJ then call the bailiffs in. £60. You do need to know where they are for that though. If you don't I know an excellent service that charges about £35 and you only pay if they find the person at the address they are living at at that moment. I know it's more money but don't let them just walk away from this.

Comment

Yes, thank you - any information would be useful. I've just been to the house now to take photos of the property - the mess and filth they have left, the wanton ripping off of the wallpaper, piles of rubbish bags and debris in the garden which now looks like a scuffy bit off wasteland - it's heartbreaking - and I'm fired up enough now to do something about it. Do I start by getting a quote from someone for the clean up and removal of rubbish?I've been on to the Council and they won't provide an address for them of course - nor have Ts informed the utilities that they have moved out. Thanks for all advice so far.

Comment

I've just been informed by advisor at RLA that even if I take these people to court, beecause they are on HB they wouldn't have to pay anything and I would just be throwing good money after bad. I feel a bit deflated now.

Comment

That is why these people do this again and again because nobody does anything about it. It has got to be worth those small sums of money to make sure they have CCJ's against them

Comment

I agree with Kathryn.

It is unlikely you will get your money with the CCJ. But the CCJ will affect them in many ways. Bad credit rating for the credit card / loans they probably apply at each new property they move to.
                        If by a miracle they get a job and decide to buy a house etc. CCJ's should also stop them from get phone contacts getting credit on house hold goods etc. So it’s well worth getting a CCJ against them.

Comment

I've just been informed by advisor at RLA that even if I take these people to court, beecause they are on HB they wouldn't have to pay anything and I would just be throwing good money after bad.
                          Am I right in thinking a CCJ lasts for 6 years? If so their situation may change in the 6 years and if you could possibly keep track of them you could try and enforce it nearer the 6 year limit.

Comment

Originally posted by stuco View Post
                            Am I right in thinking a CCJ lasts for 6 years? If so their situation may change in the 6 years and if you could possibly keep track of them you could try and enforce it nearer the 6 year limit.
                            I'm not sure for how long a CCJ remains registered. Could there be some confusing this with the quite-separate six-year time limit for enforcing a right of action based on a contract debt (Limitation Act 1980)?
                            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Once you have a CCJ registered against a person, the registry of county court judgments will show it on their records for six years after which it will "drop off" from the public record. The same applies to the Credit Data Bureau such as Equifax and Experian. (this assumes the debt is unpaid after a month - if it is paid, then the entry is removed completely if payment made within the month, or marked atisfied if paid after a month).

Whether you can enforce the judgment or not is dependent on the time it takes you and method. You basically have six years and then you have to apply for leave to enforce after that period, and if you can show good reasons, then the court will allow you to continue with enforcement. As to what constitutes good reasons is down to the discretion of the judge.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X