Basic Credit Search which one is best?????

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Basic Credit Search which one is best?????

    Hi Folks i have a family who are ready to move into a property i have to let.. However LA didnt manage to find tenants for me so with this i tried to neogiate with them a lesser managment fee... they have came back and told me that they will sign and draw up a agrement etc get the family in to their office and for this they will take half a months rent! ? Doesnt that seem abit much for what really they are doing??

    Ive had to sort alot of it myself:

    Found the tenants
    Had all the safety checks done
    Got the building insurance
    Running credit checks on tenants

    Anyways my original question was which is best? is it worth forking out the 80 quid and does this really guarantee the rent for the duration of the lease?

    1 - Basic Credit Search - £15.88 - same day service if received before 12 noon.
    2 - Comprehensive Credit & Referencing Search - £30.55 - normally within 2 working days.
    3 - Comprehensive Credit & Reference Search with Rent Guarantee & Legal Cover - £80

    Do you have a written agreement with the LA??? If not sack them, that is a ridiculous charge to make.

    With regards to the credit checks, it is very difficult to say without you telling us which site it is from, as we cannot see exactly what it says. The £80, at first glance, seems to guarantee the rent, as it appears to basically be rent guarantee insurance from the credit checkers. However, this seems cheap to me, so would need to know which site in order to check it better.
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.



      From the prices you quote you are looking at the TenantVERIFY Site -

      At £80 the rent guarnatee with a comprehensive check is the most expensive, but gives the most security as it guarantees rent (less an excess payment of one month I think) and legal protection in case you need to evict etc. This is most appropriate for the risk averse or those who are so highly geared on finance that a void period would perhaps tip them over the financial edge.

      The comprehensive check is for those who don't want the bother of carrying our reference checks themselves - the credit agency do this for you, but it can take a day or two, soetimes even longer depending upon the speed of resonse from previous landlords and employers.

      The basic check for £15.88 gives a credit score which reflects the credit history of the prospective tenant. Anyone who pays bills late, fails to pay at all or has a history of bad credit will score low. The check also indicates length of residecy at a particular address and reports on CCJ etc. This check is usually done within the day.

      Anyone doing checks should bear in mind that identity theft and fraud are a growing problem - the Tenancy Application form is designed to overcome this problem by ensuring identity is thoroughly verified, and by signing the form the prospective tenant give the landlord permission to do the checks.


        Hi folks

        thanks for the info.. it was TenantVERIFY i was looking at.. just wondering has anyone acually used the £80 check and has it paid out incase of tenents defaulting on rent?

        I dont have a argrement with my LA and i think ill tell them where to go .. Is there anyone in scotland / glasgow who can recomment me a good solicter who will draw up a lease ..i have contracted a few and they dont seem to provide this service or if they are they want over a £100 for it!!!

        I have a few leases im just thinking of getting the tenants to sign that with a witness from my side.. would that be enough and within the law. I wanted the tenants to acually go into a lawyers office to sign the papers to make it look official but at £100 i think i wont bother now

        Do let me know ur views

        Thanks in advance

        Great forum



          You can get perfectly adequate letting agreements for a lot less than £100 - see our Agreements and Forms section -
          Click Docks is a Scottish based company which will provide these. I think Lawpack also provide one suitable for Scotland.
          It's not necessary to use a solicitor for a standard AST letting, unlike a commercial letting. I find it's best to sign agreements at the property prior to handing over keys. That way you can do the inventory checks and agree them at the same time. If you can arrange for a witness to be there at the same time good, but again I'm told by a property solicitor that a witness is not strictly necessary providing you have got all the other necessary details as per posting above.


            If you do use a solicitor to draw up an AST, he will probably get it from - and so can you for a very reasonable fee!

            Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.


              Originally posted by Editor
              If you can arrange for a witness to be there at the same time good, but again I'm told by a property solicitor that a witness is not strictly necessary providing you have got all the other necessary details as per posting above.
              Notwithstanding that, personally I still ask my tenants to get their signatures witnessed, just because I think it reinforces the idea that they are signing a Proper Legal Document which should be taken seriously; don't know how effective that is but it can't do any harm !



                I agree Eric - I do the same.


                Latest Activity


                • Part Admission of Debt MCOL Help!
                  Hi, hoping someone can help.

                  First claim on mcol, so I’m finding my feet.

                  I have just received forms n9a and n9b from the court, regarding the defendants part admission to my claim started in mcol.

                  However that was all I have received, I received no other forms...
                  24-01-2018, 06:15 AM
                • Erroneous Change Of Occupancy Fee
                  Hi There,

                  I am planning to move out of a shared rental property in March. Foxtons, the agency managing the property want to charge me a £300 "Change of Occupancy" administration fee as we have not reached the full term of the tenancy. I realise that the fee covers both me leaving...
                  23-01-2018, 13:16 PM
                • Reply to Erroneous Change Of Occupancy Fee
                  Your information is severely deficient,
                  Of course a move out inspection can be chargedeven with no move in report.
                  You accepted LA fees by proceeding with Application.
                  Deposit ADR cannot be used to contest Agency fees.
                  24-01-2018, 02:53 AM
                • Attending Court - Advice Please
                  Hi there

                  I posted recently about our tenant leaving and giving her ex the keys to our house, we have a court date of 4th January for which Im flying back to the UK to attend (no contact or rent received from the persons she has left in there still). I feel hes staying in there as long...
                  12-12-2017, 18:03 PM
                • Reply to Attending Court - Advice Please
                  Thank you, Ill take a look!
                  24-01-2018, 02:31 AM
                • Broken Boiler
                  HI - our boiler broke yesterday - our landlord is currently waiting for a quote for a new boiler - however one of the problems we have is that she lives abroad. It consequently means she's able to speak to people in the uk about any sort of business matter for 3 hours in the afternoon. I'm wondering...
                  23-01-2018, 13:55 PM
                • Reply to Broken Boiler
                  I live in the US at the moment, 7 hours behind the UK, yes its difficult BUT when my boiler broke I had someone out within 2 days, one thing she should have in place is a boiler cover or she should have tradesmen lined up who she trusts so if something goes wrong she can get in touch with them immediately,...
                  24-01-2018, 02:29 AM
                • Section 8 notice served, what next
                  Hi section 8 notice was served for rent arrears last wk, it doesn’t look like the tenant is going to pay , my question is what should I do next to prepare me for the court as I never been.

                  I ve seen the post before abt the tenant may defend for disrepair, the house in fairly good condition...
                  22-01-2018, 21:46 PM
                • Reply to Section 8 notice served, what next
                  Hi - I attended court a few weeks ago, we used several grounds in the section 8, the mandatory one being the rent arrears, they didnt put a defence in, show up or pay so the judge just asked for proof I had served the section 8 (proof of postage receipts from the PO) and an up to date rent statement...
                  24-01-2018, 02:24 AM
                • Leak into downstairs flat - advice

                  I'm new the forum and the UK and wonder if you can advise…
                  I’ve recently moved to the UK from Canada and so I’m not sure of rights and liabilities... I moved into my flat a few months ago and caused a leak into the apartment below me by leaving the tap running in the bathroom...
                  23-01-2018, 08:50 AM