X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV licences- one per room in HMO?

hi

i have an hmo where i rent out all the rooms

ive paid the tv licence for the year, but the tv license company is posting letter to all the tenents in all the rooms to get their own license

are they entitled to charge each person individually and am i liable?

thanks

Originally posted by AndyJohnson View Post
    hi

ive paid the tv licence for the year, but the tv license company is posting letter to all the tenents in all the rooms to get their own license

thanks
    There are several existing threads about this. Use Search or MacroSearch facility (and try the spelling "Licence" for more accuracy).
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJohnson View Post
      hi

thanks
      Quick answer : only if they have locks on the internal doors of individual tenats' (non-shared) rooms.. This makes it less likely that they are living together as a household, and they will need their own licences.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

hi

Mind the Gap is correct. I must admit several of my tenants in HMOs keep getting letters from TV Licencing even though they have told them many times they do not have a TV.

Some useless info on this subject - I phoned the Licencing people and even if they think a tenant does not have a licence and they wish to check the building, they either have to have the landlord let them into the property or a tenant of course.

They are not entitled to enter the property without permission.

One of my tenants was in Room 3...... and had a seperate licence so the authority in their wisdom sent bills to Room 1 and 2 - they didn't have TV but still get bills - they've not sussed that there is a Room 4 and 5 yet

Alidee

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X