Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signed inventory- but cracked window not mentioned

Dear all,

If an inventory listing the contents of the property has been signed, with no notes regarding the condition of the property, can the tenants turn around and state that something was already present before the start of the tenancy? eg, a cracked window?

Said window pane was definitely not cracked prior to the tenancy. Tenants are claiming it was. Is it their word against mine, or is the fact they never indicated any prior dilapidations on the inventory evidence in my favour?

Thanks.

If the inventory is signed by the tenant, it is the agreed condition of the property at the beginning of the tenancy.

If it was "agreed" that the window was not cracked, then it wasn't.
    Now signature free.

Comment

A further note though. The window must have been mentioned specifically in the inventory.

If not, (as is the case with many self compiled inventories, where components are missed) there is no agreement on the condition.
      Now signature free.

Comment

Unfortunately it wasn't mentioned in the inventory lorenzo. (do people mention things like windows, doors, door handles, etc in their inventories?)
        What happens in that situation?

Furthermore, if items were mentioned, but not their condition, eg, a vacuum cleaner....what is the 'assumed' condition of it?

Comment

Originally posted by vss2000 View Post
          Unfortunately it wasn't mentioned in the inventory lorenzo. (do people mention things like windows, doors, door handles, etc in their inventories?)

Furthermore, if items were mentioned, but not their condition, eg, a vacuum cleaner....what is the 'assumed' condition of it?
          To avoid confusion, bad feeling and court cases, it is wise to list all items on the inventory room by room, including anything at all which might conceivably be subject to damage - which I suppose must include doors, windows walls and ceilings - then have the tenants sign to agree that

(i) all items listed are present in the property
          (ii) all items listed were in a clean, new/nearly new and undamaged condition at the start of the tenancy on (date), with the exception of anything noted specifically on the inventory, on that day.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Also consider using (alongside a written Inventory) either one or both of:
            a. photographs, dated/signed; or
            b. videographic evidence in tamper-proof format (if such a thing exists).
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Then there is no proof of the condition of the window. Your word against their's.

In a professional inventory, there is usually a clause that states any item listed is pressumed to be in good condition unless otherwise noted.

eg if the listing said

double glazed pvc window

it is assumed to be in good condition

Otherwise it would be listed as (for eg):

double glazed pvc window - crack in inside glass panel, fingermarks on handle

Advice: get an independent inventory clerk in future.
              Now signature free.

Comment

Dear all,

If an inventory listing the contents of the property has been signed, with no notes regarding the condition of the property, can the tenants turn around and state that something was already present before the start of the tenancy? eg, a cracked window?

Said window pane was definitely not cracked prior to the tenancy. Tenants are claiming it was. Is it their word against mine, or is the fact they never indicated any prior dilapidations on the inventory evidence in my favour?

Thanks.

A professional inventory clerk would describe each room, the various components of that room (walls, floors, ceiling, window, doors) fittings and furniture, etc., along with comments as to the condition of each aspect in that room if a comment is warranted as to its condition if not in good order.
                Photos are now commonly taken and are featured in the inventory and also at check out to compare with the check in.

It is therefore normal for an inventory clerk to leave the comments field blank for any component or item in a room that appears to be in at least good order. The exception to this seems to be if an item can be seen as being new (item still in wrapping, receipt/invoice to hand, etc.).

If the inventory hasn't been complied by a professional inventory clerk, then it is unlikely to feature such attention to detail.

Trouble free lettings usually feature a professionally drawn up inventory and check in and outs.

I would put this down to experience and suggest that you ensure you use professional inventory clerks in future, for peace of mind and to avoid any arguments especially since the costs are not that much when you consider everything.

Comment

Alternatively, it would be worth looking at an example of a professisonally drawn-up inventory and using it as a model for your own inventory, if you don't want to use a clerk. Rigour and detail are the key!
                  'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Will have to make sure I do it next time.

Comment

Photo inventory

Consider this, first though you need a laptop that can read your cameras memory and the ability to write to a CD or DVD.
                      Provide a simple but comprehensive inventory with DETAIL ONLY where required with a very comprehensive photo inventory taken at the same time and provided to the tenants on a closed off write only disc BEFORE you leave the house. The folder in which their images are stored on the CD/DVD should have the same name as the file on your laptop. Once you have done this a few times it's surprisingly quick and perfectly effective. That the photo cd/dvd has been provided to the tenants should be added to the inventory.
                      I think it's about as good as it gets and certainly better than just the written word!
                      If you do a photo inventory and just take the pics away I think you compromise their value, after all they could have been taken before any damage was done!

Comment

You would have to photograph every square inch of each room.

There is a reason professional clerks use written reports with photographs only as an addition.
                        Now signature free.

Comment

Originally posted by lorenzo View Post
                          You would have to photograph every square inch of each room.

There is a reason professional clerks use written reports with photographs only as an addition.
                          Agreed. We had a tenant who got stroppy when we charged her for damage in her bedroom (she had ironed clothes on the floor and burnt the carpet). She said she would not pay anything until we could produce 'photographic evidence' that her carpet hadn't been damaged to begin with. As lorenzo says, you'd need photos of every square inch. She had signed the declaration to say everything on inventory list was present and in nearly-new, undamaged condition. It was enough. She paid. (Or her mother did, in the end).

Comment

Photograph every square inch, why not?

Note,

the photo's are in addition to the inventory, not instead of and for what it's worth I can photograph every inch more comprehensively, accurately and rapidly than anybody could ever write descriptions with the same detail in a reasonable time.

A simple bare room takes only seconds to capture every square inch, I don't see a problem only a more comprehensive solution.

Everyone to their own I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by cmbhappy View Post
                              A simple bare room takes only seconds to capture every square inch.
                              But where is the detail in such a short amount of footage?
                              What about capturing what is behind you in the room?
                              What about rooms that aren't bare?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant in situ
                                by jpkeates
                                It's almost impossible to reset the tenancy with a new agreement.
                                The buyer will inherit the previous tenancy at the same point that they're able to let the property on the new agreement, so any new tenancy is going to be a follow on tenancy.
                                So things that need to be done at the very start...
                                24-01-2022, 14:57 PM
                              • Tenant in situ
                                by Bridge2020
                                I’m looking at buying another property to rent out. The one I’m looking at has a tenant in situ. I have seen a copy of the AST and payments to the agents.
                                Anyone have any experience of this please ?...
                                20-01-2022, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to Rent a Room scheme
                                by jpkeates
                                You're really going to struggle with that not being a tenancy.
                                If the tenant can lock the door to exclude you, and they could wash in a sink, that's likely to be a dwelling house.
                                24-01-2022, 14:52 PM
                              • Rent a Room scheme
                                by lgr001
                                I have a mobile home next to my property. Do I qualify for the rent a room scheme if I rent out the mobile home but the occupant must use the shower and washing facilities in my house i.e. so that the mobile home is not a separate unit of accommodation? There is a provision by the council that it...
                                24-01-2022, 14:25 PM
                              • Reply to Regulated Tenancy
                                by AVJ113
                                Yep, that's exactly what has happened....
                                24-01-2022, 14:12 PM
                              • Regulated Tenancy
                                by AVJ113
                                I have a basic understanding of regulated tenancy. I'm looking to buy a property with a tenant in situ on a regulated tenancy. In the real world, what are the pros and cons? Is there anyone with any experience?
                                24-01-2022, 13:38 PM
                                by DoricPixie
                                How basic is your understanding?

From your other thread you are seeing a broker about a BTL mortgage. I think you will struggle to secure a BTL mortgage against a property with a Regulated Tenancy in place....
                                24-01-2022, 14:05 PM
                                by jpucng62
                                Unless it is REALLY cheap - don't!

I inherited a property with a regulated tenant. The rent can only go up once every 2 years, by a specified amount, although more often if you improve the property, but it will always be cheap.

Most tenants have been in a very long time and...
                                24-01-2022, 13:58 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant in situ
                                by Interlaken
                                Agree with above but if the property is in poor condition and the tenant elderly (or could be child of tenant who may be middle aged) then steer clear. I would definitely speak with the tenant.
                                24-01-2022, 13:30 PM
                              • Reply to How to track down landlord
                                by kelbol
                                Emailing means the person may or may not receive it, and if they do, they may or may not reply. I didn't want to wait around to find out if I do get a reply. I wanted to get a phone number.
                                In any case, I managed to get hold of the Landlord via the business. The ball is now in his court.
                                24-01-2022, 13:15 PM
                              Working...
                              X