Problem tenants - only 2 real choices.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem tenants - only 2 real choices.

Discussing the above subject with fellow landlords and it seems to me that when it really comes down to the nitty gritty there are only 2 options for dealing with tenants that cause problems and damage: either accept it, or evict them. People have said to me 'can't you sue the agent that put them there' or can't you make them clean up/re-paint/fix the damage, but I honestly cannot see how you can either blame the agent when tenants go bad (especially if they started off OK) or if their is no willingness on the tenant's part. The only sanction you have is eviction, the rest is just bluster. Thoughts?

L could sue Agent A but only if A is in breach of Agency Agreement- not just because T is in breach of Letting Agreement.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Jeffrey I agree, but I've never seen an agency agreement worded 'we promise tenants we supply won't have a cat without telling us, let their kids draw on the walls or turn your property into a drug den'. ;-) That aside does my original proposition that there are only 2 real option still stand in your opinion?

Comment

I too haven't seen refernces to cats in Agency Agreement! However, have you any substantial grounds for claiming that A is in breach (e.g. for not referencing potential T, not doing agency work properly, etc)?
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X