Can solicitors charge for doing nothing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wanted to write and say this thread is brilliant. It has really cheered me up.

My view would be that the solicitor should be able to charge but following from what Jeffrey has said, the solicitor would not be able to enforce it. I'm sure I have read that Solicitors must give costs information in writing. If they don't then they are not able to charge and in fact a complaint can be made to the SRA. Who'd be a solicitor !!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by agent46 View Post
      Did it go out on their letterhead?
      No. They were supposed to write it (to explain something to the vendor of our new house), but they never got round to it. It was holding the whole process up, so I advised them I would write it myself, and they said OK. It went out on a rather fetching leaf of Basidon Bond.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by htrj View Post
        The solicitor asked to view the rental agreement, and then declared that ... the chances of getting the tenants removed was 50 50 at the very best. I've decided not to go through eviction proceedings.
        So your solicitor advised you that you would be wasting your money on taking up any more of his time. I think you should pay and thank him for being so honest. If he'd said that it was 90% chance of success, you'd have continued, wouldn't you?

Comment

Originally posted by SALL View Post
          But the solicitor didn't actually provided a service, it sounds more like a quote to me.
          Yes he did - he read an agreement and advised on it.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
            Answered your own question: "..where a client rings his solicitor..."
            Sorry I am not following that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
              Sorry I am not following that.
              I think Jeffrey is suggesting that OP is not a client of the solicitor as there is no engagement letter.

I'm not sure we can be certain of this from OP's post - he may be (although I agree it appears unlikely) OP's solicitor with a long-standing relationship - although no separate engagement in respect of this piece of advice. He may equally be a solicitor plucked from the phonebook or the internet at random. He may even be Jeffrey who offers advice at £2 per minute, apparently, over the telephone... how does that sit with the DSRs?

Comment

Originally posted by Telometer View Post
                I think Jeffrey is suggesting that OP is not a client of the solicitor as there is no engagement letter.

I'm not sure we can be certain of this from OP's post - he may be (although I agree it appears unlikely) OP's solicitor with a long-standing relationship - although no separate engagement in respect of this piece of advice. He may equally be a solicitor plucked from the phonebook or the internet at random. He may even be Jeffrey who offers advice at £2 per minute, apparently, over the telephone... how does that sit with the DSRs?
                As to first paragraph, yes.
                As to last sentence, telephone service is offered to LZ members and the general public (not to those who are already accredited as clients).
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Epc
                  by mariner
                  Not quite. The LL can apply to Court for Right of Access & ask Court to apply costs against T.
                  29-03-2020, 02:10 AM
                • Epc
                  by lavy
                  Hi, Wondered if someone could clarify I have property with existing tenants in place long term and the epc has expired but was in force when they moved in . I am aware that it would need to be renewed if a new tenant was to move in . With the new rules coming into force soon must i get an epc done...
                  11-02-2020, 12:28 PM
                • Reply to No EPC
                  by mariner
                  I think you need a valid EPC before the Property can be advertised for sale/rent, but not for an eviction.
                  29-03-2020, 01:30 AM
                • No EPC
                  by Onepropertypeter
                  I have a single property which I have owned since 1998. I currently have had the same tennent for about 10 years. When she began the tennency there was no requirement to have an epc and I was unaware that I needed one! I have decided to sell the property as I am now 70 years old and want the capital....
                  28-03-2020, 16:16 PM
                • Reply to Epc
                  by flyingfreehold
                  Not quite correct. If the tenant refuses upgrades, which is his/her right this is a ground to apply for exemption...
                  28-03-2020, 22:15 PM
                • Reply to Asking for 35% off rent
                  by AndrewDod
                  This is not likely to be valid or easy employed. It does not sound like a deed. What witnesses were there? How many witnesses and who were they? Do you have proof of ID for the Guarantor and witnesses?

But yes, they are most likely chancers using the law to try to diddle you.
                  28-03-2020, 21:15 PM
                • Asking for 35% off rent
                  by Lillylisa
                  Hi. I am a fairly new landlord and I only own one property. About a month ago I reached out to my tenants asking if they were okay and if they wanted to get in contact with me please do. Three days later they contacted me to ask for a massive reduction in the rent asking for 35% off. I have no issues...
                  28-03-2020, 16:20 PM
                  by Snorkerz
                  Then unfortunately, you will have difficulty enforcing the guarantee (unless your guarantor is named as a tenant or the tenancy agreement is executed as a deed). The reason for that is because

With your tenancy agreement
                  • You give the tenants a tenancy, they give you rent (consideration)
                  • Guarantor
                  28-03-2020, 21:13 PM
                  by Lillylisa
                  Ps I’m unable to edit the original. Sorry so long winded. I have a visual impairment & have to use voice dictation. It’s awful!...
                  28-03-2020, 21:06 PM
                  by Lillylisa
                  To be clear: the guarantor signed the contract which has a section called The Guarantor which clearly lays out his/her legal liabilities. In this case, he is liable for all the rent not just for his nephews. I’m sure they would not want this to fall to him. They have been very good tenants so far....
                  28-03-2020, 21:02 PM
                Working...
                X