CCJ for £3350 - best way to recover money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CCJ for £3350 - best way to recover money

My tenant was given a CCJ for the outstanding rent monies owed to me of £3350 plus costs. I know a lot of people say it's impossible to get the money back but I want to try and keep trying until I get it! Has anyone had success and what have been the best ways?
    I think I know where the tenant works so am considering attachment order. I guess he only earns around £12k per annum so are they likely to award it based on this? (He is a single white male with no dependents).
    I have his National insurance number so hopefully this will help track him if he doesn' give me his new address when he leaves the property.

If you know where he works pay £65 and issue an Attachment of Earnings. How much you get per month will depend on what he earns and how much he makes the court believe he need to live with each month. Assess the figures carefully when you receive a copy of his income and expenditure!

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrother456 View Post
      My tenant was given a CCJ for the outstanding rent monies owed to me of £3350 plus costs. I know a lot of people say it's impossible to get the money back but I want to try and keep trying until I get it! Has anyone had success and what have been the best ways?
      I think I know where the tenant works so am considering attachment order. I guess he only earns around £12k per annum so are they likely to award it based on this? (
      I'd definitely go for the attachment of earnings; it's the only way unless he has a bucket of cash or lots of seizable assets, neither of which sound likely.

The order will be based on what the courts think he can afford to pay, once his outgoings are assessed. He will also have to pay the fee for the order, so whatever you get back, provided that's covered it's got to be better than nowt.

You can enquire free of the courts whether he already has an AofE in force; that will help tell you whether it's worth trying your hand, and if there is, yours can get tagged on.

I've just had one granted for £450/month for a £1900 arrears debt, so I'm well chuffed; though my guy earns quite a bit more than yours admittedly.

If I were you I'd be doing some detective work to find out where he works - eg try phoning and asking to speak to him if you think you know, or maybe tail him to work one morning!

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
        I'd definitely go for the attachment of earnings; it's the only way unless he has a bucket of cash or lots of seizable assets, neither of which sound likely.

The order will be based on what the courts think he can afford to pay, once his outgoings are assessed. He will also have to pay the fee for the order, so whatever you get back, provided that's covered it's got to be better than nowt.

You can enquire free of the courts whether he already has an AofE in force; that will help tell you whether it's worth trying your hand, and if there is, yours can get tagged on.

I've just had one granted for £450/month for a £1900 arrears debt, so I'm well chuffed; though my guy earns quite a bit more than yours admittedly.

If I were you I'd be doing some detective work to find out where he works - eg try phoning and asking to speak to him if you think you know, or maybe tail him to work one morning!
        Search through rubbish often reveals alot. My tenant left behind local newspaper with several properties ringed. Four phone calls and I traced him.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Gas and electric during void period
          by Celibin
          Great Thank you
          24-01-2021, 05:54 AM
        • Gas and electric during void period
          by Celibin
          When the tenant we took meter readings but subsequently forgot to register with a utility company. The only thing that may have accrued is a small amount of gas .
          Obviously I want to pay my dues.I believe the companies do pass on info between each other Thanks
          23-01-2021, 09:42 AM
        • MCOL & PCOL
          by OS7
          Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
          04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
        • Reply to Leak into downstairs flat, am I liable?
          by ash72
          Can you not claim it on the insurance? Is the downstairs flat the freeholder of your flat and vice versa?
          24-01-2021, 00:17 AM
        • Leak into downstairs flat, am I liable?
          by Mwatson365
          Hi,

I rent out an upstairs flat, which was a 1930s built house which has been converted into two flats. The water waste for the kitchen/bathroom goes out through the wall to outside. The downstairs flat, which is owned by a housing association, has an extension built at the back of the...
          23-01-2021, 17:06 PM
        • Reply to Court review
          by hybrice
          Still enforce it. HCEOs aren't idiots and don't give up. If he has just signed the car over to his ex but still houses and uses it, they'll likely still seize it. Don't let him get away with anything, is my.opinion. But ask your solicitor....
          24-01-2021, 00:17 AM
        • Court review
          by OS7
          Hi,
          My possession claim is up for review today. I thought “ finally” . It was marked on review documentation to be at 12:00 05/11. I received no calls from anyone as yet. Could someone who has undergone review, please let me know if I have to make the call. I am worried that no one...
          05-11-2020, 15:15 PM
        • Reply to What happens when furlough ends?
          by ash72
          I think may people have adjusted and take up new roles as courier drivers, or delivery drivers especially if they have their own vehicles. Within the gig economy has helped a lot of people in these difficult times.
          24-01-2021, 00:12 AM
        • What happens when furlough ends?
          by JK0
          A worrying thought has occurred to me tonight. If furlough ends on 30th April, as I believe it's meant to, are we going to find loads more tenants unable to pay their rent?

I know one of mine is a taxi driver, and I'm amazed he's managed to come up with the rent so far.

Any...
          23-01-2021, 19:40 PM
        • Reply to What happens when furlough ends?
          by alice123
          Taxi drivers are still quite busy , people going shopping, doctors appts, hospital, work. My village just looks the same as normal its as busy as ever and so are the roads, only the pubs /cafes and hairdressers are closed along with the gym . The ones who are working from home and those who are furloughed...
          23-01-2021, 23:59 PM
        Working...
        X