CRB check on new tenants? Landlord fined re T's goods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CRB check on new tenants? Landlord fined re T's goods

Should landlords be allowed to do criminal record checks?

This story shows the importance of treating cases of "abandonment" with great care - case has cost the landlady £18750

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/7605218.stm

In my Daily Mail mode, this story just goes to show what an absurd country we live in, utter madness !.

Comment

Absolutely nuts.

But then again his stuff was still there so a lot more risky.

I had a recent one where his stuff was all gone bar a few magazines a pair of trousers and a raincoat. What sealed it for me was the fact that the keys were pushed under the door.

Also 18k costs for £750 quid!!

Comment

Regarding original post:

As much as we would like to check out a tenant, I dont really think its justified.

You just need to ensure that you verify all refernces and details yourself and look at the whole picture when you approve a tenant.

How can ex cons intergrate back into society if they are not given a chance. If we reject them in the light of a CRB check, then society will pay as their only recourse will be back to the ghetto/ crime.

CRB checks are not infallible either.
        All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Originally posted by Bel View Post
          How can ex cons intergrate back into society if they are not given a chance. If we reject them in the light of a CRB check, then society will pay as their only recourse will be back to the ghetto/ crime.
          I agree. Whilst we all want to protect ourselves and those whom we love, ex-criminals do need to live somewhere.
          Example: Gary Glitter did dreadful things, true, but must he be hounded by D--l- M--l journalists for ever?
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Gary Glitter is just like most people, he simply wants to settle down and have children.
            I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

For all you landlords

There has been multiple threads posted on here by various landlords (and some replies to such threads) saying they wanted to take possession, enter a property, remove T's goods etc. I and others keep posting to tell you all how foolish you are being, hopefully it has sunk in for most.

Today's BBC website contains a timely reminder of just why you should seek possession, no matter what your intentions and good thoughts are, before you embark on your plans

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/7605218.stm
              Mark Hessel

Any comments I post are just that, comments. Every situation is unique and so you should not apply any comments I make to your situation, no matter how close they may appear to match your circumstances.

Comment

Mark: looks like other members got to the BBC item before you did!
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I saw this. Its a pain in the backside dealing with a tenant in jail. They have to give their permission for the Prison service to give their address details to serve notice... otherwise the courts won't entertain a hearing.

Went down this route a few years ago, had absolute uproar with the LL in question as he wanted to do as this woman had done and I argued the case against it! So glad I did!!!
                  GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Lodgers left without notice
                    by Stew
                    Try and look at this with a positive angle, at least they have left the house allowing you to re-let it when you can. They are not sat in situ and refusing to pay rent which would be far worse.

I was always told by another landlord there is no point chasing people that leave and don't pay...
                    03-04-2020, 17:31 PM
                  • Lodgers left without notice
                    by hoolaholla
                    I have 2 student lodgers, I am not at the property at the moment and their rent day recently passed and neither paid rent. When I enquired it transpires they have both vacated the property and are refusing to pay any further rent, their tenancy does not officially end until July. I have a 1 month deposit...
                    03-04-2020, 16:52 PM
                    by hoolaholla
                    That isn't terribly helpful advice. I am enquiring as to my legal position and not your personal and moral opinion....
                    03-04-2020, 17:29 PM
                    by hamilton
                    It sounds to me that you are financially over-extended, if you do not have the money in the bank to cover such eventualities. I suggest you sell up, and readjust your expectation of what life owes you.
                    03-04-2020, 17:24 PM
                    by hoolaholla
                    I am confused by your response, are you suggesting that demanding another 4 months rent as per our agreement is the wrong thing to do? Why is it wrong if this was our agreement?
                    EDIT: This was in reply to Hamilton who deleted his reply....
                    03-04-2020, 17:23 PM
                    by hoolaholla
                    I was living there, but I have returned to the family home due to coronavirus. The house is now unoccupied, its alright for them to deny their responsibilities but I have a mortgage and without such a luxury. It is so unfair.
                    03-04-2020, 17:12 PM
                  • Reply to COVID-19: Court hearing section 8 vacated
                    by Stew
                    Given that not much can be done court wise re eviction this tenant's issues clearly had nothing to do with Covid could the landlord at least raise a money claims via the online service?

Assuming that the tenant does not have a valid concern with you as a landlord and the eviction would...
                    03-04-2020, 17:10 PM
                  • COVID-19: Court hearing section 8 vacated
                    by syrbag
                    A court hearing planned for 23 March for rent arrears vacated, tenant 5 months without paying rent, rent paid 2 months in advance. tenant not picking calls and not taking advantage of the COVID-19 situation. anyone in a similar situation and what is the best way to proceed?

'This...
                    03-04-2020, 10:56 AM
                    by jpkeates
                    I don't know if you have a legally binding agreement or not.

If they signed a contract saying they would stay there for a period, they may be in breach of that contract.
                    However, you would be entitled to compensation for any loss, which seems to be nil, it's very unlikely that the...
                    03-04-2020, 17:09 PM
                    by hoolaholla
                    But where do I stand legally? Whatever the current crisis, we still have a legally binding agreement, no?
                    03-04-2020, 17:03 PM
                  Working...
                  X