Children allowed in a HMO /Is it Discrimination ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTL investor
    replied
    Looking at the start date of this thread the children in question are probably grown up with children of their own by now and anything that wasn’t discrimination in those days probably is now!

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Of course it's discrimination:. It's discrimination against those with kids.

Question is, is it unlawful discrimination:. I discriminate against those unable to pay the rent, entirely lawful.

Leave a comment:

• KTC
    replied
    OP, I have personal issue with you not willing to let to people with children. If one of your tenant get pregnant, are you going to evict them as soon as they're no longer protected as new parents?

Having said that, family with children is not a protected characteristic. And while age is, it does not applies when it come to letting.

He said that the law says, that once he has brought all of his staff at the door-step, i am obliged to take him whatsoever the situation.
    Complete and utter tosh.

Have you given him the deposit back out of interest? Or not?
    I would suggest answering no satisfied provideing "false or misleading information to the landlord" which "the landlord is reasonably entitled to take into account the difference between the information provided by the tenant and the correct information in deciding whether to grant a tenancy to the tenant". So "a notice in writing within 7 days beginning with the date on which the landlord decides not to do so explaining why the person who received it intends not to repay it".

Leave a comment:

• bob369
    replied
    It would be difficult IMO to successfully evict a tenant based upon breach of contract if the AST stated they could not have children in the property - I suspect that such a term may be an unfair one.

As an HMO, presuming it has a licence - would allow for a particular number of persons, no more, would it still be an unfair term if a landlord it put the landlord in contravention of his licence.

However, if they do not tell you then move them in later, is a different story
    I dont get this, surely the tenant signs a contract, that states the number of persons, they can't then move in 'persons' after it is signed - whether they be adults or chidren later, surely that is a breach of the contract, regardless.

Leave a comment:

• charger
    replied
    He went away after a while, but meanwhile my answering machine mob is full of his voice messages.
    I guess he'll get tired one day
    Here we are let's advertise once again for a more serious couple

Leave a comment:

• MrShed
    replied
    First of all, what he says is rubbish. If he hasnt signed then he's got no agreement. He cannot sue you. Have you given him the deposit back out of interest? Or not?

Secondly, you have the absolute right to refuse any tenant on any basis you wish....if you are concerned about being accused of discrimination then you do not have to give them a reason. However, if they do not tell you then move them in later, is a different story. It would be difficult IMO to successfully evict a tenant based upon breach of contract if the AST stated they could not have children in the property - I suspect that such a term may be an unfair one.

Leave a comment:

• charger
    started a topic Children allowed in a HMO /Is it Discrimination ?

Children allowed in a HMO /Is it Discrimination ?

HI

I Often receive phone calls from couples with children, that ask me if i would rent a room to them in a houseshare with a normal Ast .
    I have downloaded the Ast from the Landlord association, and it clearly states that children are not allowed into the property, and i also think is right for respect of other tenants who have chosen my place which was previously advertised as quiet house.

Tenants nowadays are getting smarter, infact three days ago, one guy called me, arranged an appointment, viewed my place, and decided to take it by paying a deposit of £200 for room reservation.I did ask if he had any children and his reply a was quite straightforward "No" .
    He showed up yesterday with his wife two children, and a Van loaded with all their Staff, asking me to quickly sign a 6 month or even a year Ast contract; Obviously my reply was a "No" for him, as he didn't tell me the truth about his children.
    After this brief introduction, my question is : Is a landlord allowed to refuse couples with children ? And by doing this, can he be accused of discrimination ?
    He said that the law says, that once he has brought all of his staff at the door-step, i am obliged to take him whatsoever the situation.
    As They didn't sign nothing i don't think i am obliged to take them .

I also asked him why he said "No" when i asked him if he had children, and he said he was meaning "not in London", but yes in Birmingham .

Eventually he accused me of discrimination.

What you think of all this please ? Can he sue me ?

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X