Does this potential tenant sound dodgy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this potential tenant sound dodgy?

I wonder if I could trouble you experienced officienados out there for some advice.
    I have a property ready to let out and am looking for some tenants. After 7 years of using agents, teh last time turned into a nightmare anyway - and I learned so much about the process that I am comfortable to do it myself for the next one.
    A potential tenant came by yesterday to see my place and is very interested in going ahead - so I gave him the Tenant Verify Forms to fill in. However he advises me that:

1) He has only been in this country for 1 year - and does not have 3 years address history. He is from Poland.

2) He doesn't have a Bank Account as his Bank closed it due to some problems with direct debits not stopping and he now has to open another account - but he can't until he gets his new address. So its a catch 22 situation apparently.

All my instincts tell me to steer clear of this one with a bargepole - wondering what everyone else thinks. If he has a suitable a guarantor, would that make him a better risk?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Gizzmo.

Hmmmm. So where is his money that would have been in the bank account?
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Good Point - he says he will give me cash up front for a month's deposit and a month in advance. The flat is for him and his wife - who I also met. They seemed a very nice couple. They took off their shoes when they saw that the carpets were all brand new.

He doesn't seem opposed to providing a guarantor. So presumably if the TenantVerify checks pass on that basis - should I have anything to worry about?

Comment

In my opinion, if he can prove to you the cash he has that would be in the bank account(even if this means physically showing you), and he has proof of income(I assume he is working?) then personally I would think it OK, as long as you get a guarantor.
        Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Ok - Thank You very much for your help Mr Shed.
          Both him and his wife have provided employment references which would be checked out by TenantVerify as well - and they do have 6 months bank statements for their previous bank account - although it has been closed now.
          I'll get more details on the guarantor as well.
          Cheers

Comment

I don't know, what is your 'gut' feeling about them?

Comment

Hi Slick.
              I really liked them - but since things didn't seem to add up I gave them the guarantor forms. If they can provide a suitable guarantor then I'lll proceed. But its a been a few days and I haven't heard back from them. So I guess that may be the end of it.
              They do seem honest and genuine - but then I'm not the best judge of character. They also said that they couldn't provide last landlord details as apparently he was renting without declaring to the taxman and he told them that if he is asked then he would deny they lived there. So things just seem to get worse and worse.
              My gut instinct now is to stay clear.

Comment

Do. Not. Touch. With. Bargepole!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to small claim court
                  by George V
                  I’ve gone down the Money Claim Online (MCOL) route. Tenant unresponsive on all stages (pre action letter, claim issued, offer to withdraw proceedings if T moves out, judgement entered). Got County Court Judgement now, gave T two weeks to pay before transferring up to high court and getting writ to...
                  07-07-2020, 08:05 AM
                • small claim court
                  by Uklondoner
                  My tenant owes me rent. I read about this small amount claim court. Anyone here has made such claim and successfully got money back ? Thanks for your attention....
                  06-07-2020, 21:05 PM
                • Suing the Guarantor (small claims court)
                  by hadiolar
                  Good morning,
                  Hope I can get some clarity to my issue
                  Background
                  Tenant left in April 2020 with monies owed (Court eviction active)
                  outstanding rent-£8000
                  damage to Ppty-£3000
                  letter before action sent to both tenant and guarantor -No response and no payment made...
                  07-07-2020, 08:03 AM
                • Reply to Deposit Issue
                  by shoobydoo
                  I am in the process of listing deductions and my ex-tenants will 100% go for adjudication. I hardly ever make deductions, but if you have seen my other post, you may understand why this time I am going to be strict. But I don't want to be vindictive.

Hence, I just want to clarify the above...
                  07-07-2020, 07:53 AM
                • Deposit Issue
                  by tenantputney
                  Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Multiple Tenant

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy? July 2017

23-06-2020, 12:20 PM
                • Reply to Right to keep pets? Is hiding pets okay?
                  by nukecad
                  That's what I first thought.

But if that were the case then why would the agent take a unilateral stance on 'no pets' when they could make an easy quick fee just for saying OK and writing a letter (an addendum to the TA) allowing them for this tenant?
                  That tends make me think that...
                  07-07-2020, 07:38 AM
                • Right to keep pets? Is hiding pets okay?
                  by Miloarchie2016
                  Hi guys, me and my partner moved into our first house last week, Within our tenancy agreement it stated that pets were allowed at the discrepancy of our landlord and that we needed written permission to keep pets. When applying for the house, nowhere did it say that pets weren’t allowed as usually...
                  06-07-2020, 15:24 PM
                • Reply to Data Protection question
                  by jpkeates
                  That was my main point.

From the tenant's point of view, you've already done the damage.
                  Assuming he believes the email, you've already told the council, so where's the tenant's incentive to pay?
                  What possible good would that do them, the damage is already done?

07-07-2020, 07:32 AM
                • Data Protection question
                  by George V
                  Can I write to a local council housing dept and cc my tenant in without breaching GDPR or any other relevant data protection legislation to say T has had CCJ for arrears, is in more arrears on top of CCJ, I will proceed with evicting him and he’s making himself intentionally homeless? I intend on...
                  06-07-2020, 12:08 PM
                • Reply to Temperamental Water Supply in Flat.
                  by Section20z
                  Find the stop cocks and turn the other 3 down slightly
                  07-07-2020, 07:28 AM
                Working...
                X