Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court

Hi,

I have a landlord who is determined to take me to court to retrieve a further months rent as I did not give enough written notice.

Despite my attempts to resolve this before going to court, it seems she is utterly determined to take it to court no matter what.

I have absolutely no means of paying the requested amount as I am in substantial debt and currently without income.

I have now been notified by their solicitor that I will be charged the court fees plus interest on top of the £475 which will amount to £875 in total.

What am I to do when I have no means of paying in the first place?

Thanks.

Well, sorry and all that, but you should have done it properly first time round. You are basically asking us how you can get away with you having done something wrong....this is what the court is there for. It will, however, be difficult to have any kind of enforcement order against you if you have little cash, no job and no assets.
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

"will amount to £875 in total"

Absolute garbage the court costs for that amount is if I remember correctly £50, solicitors costs cannot be added, there are sometimes a few other minor costs allowed.

Ask that solicitor to give you a break down of those costs, he's telling porkies.

Comment

I'll add to what Energise says. Go to court and explain your financial circumstances. Tell them you'll pay £3.00 per week, as that's all you can afford. They can't take what you don't have.

But do it properly next time.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
          daxu
          Hi,
          I have a one bed flat that is let out at the moment. I asked an electrician to change the fusebox to a consumer unit and asked him for a cost of changing my battery smoke alarm to a main conntected one.

What he told me is that I need two alarms, one smoke alarm and one heat alarm...
          21-07-2017, 10:02 AM
        • Reply to what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
          MrShed
          What a load of rubbish this sparky is spinning to you!!

A single battery operated smoke alarm on a single floor is absolutely fine.
          21-07-2017, 10:23 AM
        • Claiming for protected deposit
          mandm
          This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
          Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
          I served the...
          21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
        • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
          MrShed
          To be fair, allowing DPS to send the email is even worse, as this doesnt help you prove that they received it.

In fairness it doesnt sound like you did in fact give them the prescribed information...
          21-07-2017, 10:18 AM
          mandm
          Thanks Guys for your immediate response, i will write and will attach the confirmation email from the DPS to the solicitor.
          @AndrewDod I did not send them email, DPS did, i also asked them to post the confirmation to tenants but they said due to DPA, tenants needs to request that!
          Is there...
          21-07-2017, 10:03 AM
        • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
          MrShed
          I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
          20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
        • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
          MrShed
          Depends on the storage provider. The other problem is though that in a disaster recovery position, they usually fail this to somewhere else, out of EU - which puts you in breach
          21-07-2017, 09:50 AM
          jjlandlord
          Cloud storage providers let you choose where to store data for this very reason.

It is OK to send data to the US under the so-called "Privacy Shield" as far as I know.
          21-07-2017, 09:46 AM
          mariner
          If you are confident you did provide required PI in full, then let T take you to Court; if not, settle. A Judge can only award T the Deposit (if not returned) + 1-3x deposit for the Penalty.

You cannot require T to sign anything, only ask.
          21-07-2017, 09:43 AM
          jpkeates
          If you store data in the cloud, you almost certainly breach the DPA - the data is (almost certainly) outside the EU and held somewhere without equivalent measures in place (the EU has said that safe haven isn't sufficient).

In fact, you haven't got a clue where it's stored.
          21-07-2017, 09:10 AM
        Working...
        X