Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• davidjpowell
    replied
    Taps loose? Not sure how that could not be down to either how they were installed or wear and tear?

As for decoration it is impossilble to judge without seeing before and after pictures and I suspect there is the rub!

You have already admitted that you had 'accidently' overcharged by £100, surely by not returning this you are forcing your tenants hand, quite possibly to your loss?

David

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by apples21 View Post
    My previous tenant vacated the property and I returned £550 of the deposit and deducted £300 for professional cleaning, new taps and repainting all the walls. I accidently didn't return £100 of the deposit as an oversight on my part.

I then received an 'LBA' from the tenant demanding return of the whole deposit and 3x the deposit as the money wasn't in a TDS scheme.
    Er, why was it not protected in one of the three schemes?

Leave a comment:

• porridge
    replied
    Seems like you've made a bit of a hash of the deposit and the deductions, personally I think you're on a very sticky wicket by not securing deposit and could be liable for 3 x the deposit, you may also come unstuck with the deductions from the deposit, how can you justify any deductions if you have no inventory ?, but how can you justify repainting the walls ? even if you did have an inventory, you have to allow for fair wear and tear, you can't expect your tenant to pay for maintenance and improvements to your property.

I would be seeing if you could sort this out with your tenant without going to court, if that means giving a full refund on all the deposit, then I would say you've come out very well.

Just my opinion though.

Leave a comment:

• apples21
    started a topic TDS and return of deposit

TDS and return of deposit

My previous tenant vacated the property and I returned £550 of the deposit and deducted £300 for professional cleaning, new taps and repainting all the walls. I accidently didn't return £100 of the deposit as an oversight on my part.

I then received an 'LBA' from the tenant demanding return of the whole deposit and 3x the deposit as the money wasn't in a TDS scheme.

Where do I stand on this? The tenancy was an AST and started on 29th sep 2007.

No inventory was done at the start of tenancy either, but I have photos of the walls before they moved in. Would charging for repainting be classed as betterment and was I right to charge for replacing the taps which had become lose and wouldn't turn properly. I havent returned the remaining £100 as I said to the tenant I would wait and see what happened in court.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Evicting a Lodger
    by zv2k
    Hi All. I took in a lodger on a lodger agreement in March. She's a nice lady but very untidy and fairly incompetent. I've got texts from her in the early hours asking why her laptop doesn't work lol.
    Anyway I've received a full cash offer by a Chinese couple to rent the whole flat out for 7 months...
    06-06-2020, 22:26 PM
  • Reply to Evictions are now banned until the end of August.
    by sam_cat
    I was discussing this with a friend earlier, and am in complete agreement with you on this.
    Make sure everything is very well documented around the debt, and any communication, and plan on S8.

We have a feeling that S21 is going to either be gone or a long time coming back.
    06-06-2020, 21:45 PM
  • Evictions are now banned until the end of August.
    by jpkeates
    Hearings will also continue to be suspended for the same period.

It's an extension of 8 weeks for evictions.
    05-06-2020, 16:47 PM
  • Closure Order? Am I missing something?
    by mikestew89
    There has been a spate of “Closure Orders” in a nearby town in which the police have shut down problem premises.

I really don’t see how this solves anything from a crime perspective. Surely the problem just moves with the tenants? Some tenants are problems regardless of where they...
    06-06-2020, 21:06 PM
  • Notice to quit
    by mmmartin
    Hello. I have a 2-bed house in England with one tenant. She has 6-month STA which started 1st January 2018 and continues on a rolling basis. It stated that either party can give notice to quit based on "statutory" requirements. My question is this:Can I give her a 3-month (or 6-month) notice
    06-06-2020, 20:41 PM
  • Reply to Mould/witholding rent/C19 eviction rights
    by Jon66
    In order to protect your investment and the condition of your property it might be prudent to fit a better extractor fan in the bathroom.
    Do you supply a tumble dryer? If not it would be a good idea.

During inspections is there any wet washing left on airers?

Re the...
    06-06-2020, 20:17 PM
  • Mould/witholding rent/C19 eviction rights
    by Borischelski
    I wonder if I could trouble someone for advice, having recently become a Landlord for the first time ?

BACKGROUND
    A year ago I inherited a small 1970s one bedroom flat in Birmingham.

The flat was originally heated with a couple of electric bar heaters....
    02-06-2020, 09:37 AM
  • Reply to Evictions are now banned until the end of August.
    by Jon66
    They cannot introduce retrospective legislation to cancel rent arrears, it is contrary to article 6 and part 2 article 1 of the human rights act....
    06-06-2020, 20:10 PM
  • Reply to Agent games?
    by JK0
    Someone just suggested that to me on the phone. Problem is that I have to give them notice, during which time I doubt they would bother at all....
    06-06-2020, 20:09 PM
  • Agent games?
    by JK0
    Here's an odd one: My best flat in Reading fell vacant at end of April, and has now been to let for 2 weeks. My agent suggested £1050, which we got last July, but I said £1000. Yesterday one of agent's flunkies rang and suggested a further reduction due to 'other properties coming on the market'....
    04-06-2020, 17:42 PM
Working...
X