TDS and return of deposit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TDS and return of deposit

My previous tenant vacated the property and I returned £550 of the deposit and deducted £300 for professional cleaning, new taps and repainting all the walls. I accidently didn't return £100 of the deposit as an oversight on my part.

I then received an 'LBA' from the tenant demanding return of the whole deposit and 3x the deposit as the money wasn't in a TDS scheme.

Where do I stand on this? The tenancy was an AST and started on 29th sep 2007.

No inventory was done at the start of tenancy either, but I have photos of the walls before they moved in. Would charging for repainting be classed as betterment and was I right to charge for replacing the taps which had become lose and wouldn't turn properly. I havent returned the remaining £100 as I said to the tenant I would wait and see what happened in court.

Seems like you've made a bit of a hash of the deposit and the deductions, personally I think you're on a very sticky wicket by not securing deposit and could be liable for 3 x the deposit, you may also come unstuck with the deductions from the deposit, how can you justify any deductions if you have no inventory ?, but how can you justify repainting the walls ? even if you did have an inventory, you have to allow for fair wear and tear, you can't expect your tenant to pay for maintenance and improvements to your property.

I would be seeing if you could sort this out with your tenant without going to court, if that means giving a full refund on all the deposit, then I would say you've come out very well.

Just my opinion though.

Comment

Originally posted by apples21 View Post
      My previous tenant vacated the property and I returned £550 of the deposit and deducted £300 for professional cleaning, new taps and repainting all the walls. I accidently didn't return £100 of the deposit as an oversight on my part.

I then received an 'LBA' from the tenant demanding return of the whole deposit and 3x the deposit as the money wasn't in a TDS scheme.
      Er, why was it not protected in one of the three schemes?
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Taps loose? Not sure how that could not be down to either how they were installed or wear and tear?

As for decoration it is impossilble to judge without seeing before and after pictures and I suspect there is the rub!

You have already admitted that you had 'accidently' overcharged by £100, surely by not returning this you are forcing your tenants hand, quite possibly to your loss?

David

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Lodgers left without notice
          by Stew
          Try and look at this with a positive angle, at least they have left the house allowing you to re-let it when you can. They are not sat in situ and refusing to pay rent which would be far worse.

I was always told by another landlord there is no point chasing people that leave and don't pay...
          03-04-2020, 17:31 PM
        • Lodgers left without notice
          by hoolaholla
          I have 2 student lodgers, I am not at the property at the moment and their rent day recently passed and neither paid rent. When I enquired it transpires they have both vacated the property and are refusing to pay any further rent, their tenancy does not officially end until July. I have a 1 month deposit...
          03-04-2020, 16:52 PM
          by hoolaholla
          That isn't terribly helpful advice. I am enquiring as to my legal position and not your personal and moral opinion....
          03-04-2020, 17:29 PM
          by hamilton
          It sounds to me that you are financially over-extended, if you do not have the money in the bank to cover such eventualities. I suggest you sell up, and readjust your expectation of what life owes you.
          03-04-2020, 17:24 PM
          by hoolaholla
          I am confused by your response, are you suggesting that demanding another 4 months rent as per our agreement is the wrong thing to do? Why is it wrong if this was our agreement?
          EDIT: This was in reply to Hamilton who deleted his reply....
          03-04-2020, 17:23 PM
          by hoolaholla
          I was living there, but I have returned to the family home due to coronavirus. The house is now unoccupied, its alright for them to deny their responsibilities but I have a mortgage and without such a luxury. It is so unfair.
          03-04-2020, 17:12 PM
        • Reply to COVID-19: Court hearing section 8 vacated
          by Stew
          Given that not much can be done court wise re eviction this tenant's issues clearly had nothing to do with Covid could the landlord at least raise a money claims via the online service?

Assuming that the tenant does not have a valid concern with you as a landlord and the eviction would...
          03-04-2020, 17:10 PM
        • COVID-19: Court hearing section 8 vacated
          by syrbag
          A court hearing planned for 23 March for rent arrears vacated, tenant 5 months without paying rent, rent paid 2 months in advance. tenant not picking calls and not taking advantage of the COVID-19 situation. anyone in a similar situation and what is the best way to proceed?

'This...
          03-04-2020, 10:56 AM
          by jpkeates
          I don't know if you have a legally binding agreement or not.

If they signed a contract saying they would stay there for a period, they may be in breach of that contract.
          However, you would be entitled to compensation for any loss, which seems to be nil, it's very unlikely that the...
          03-04-2020, 17:09 PM
          by hoolaholla
          But where do I stand legally? Whatever the current crisis, we still have a legally binding agreement, no?
          03-04-2020, 17:03 PM
        Working...
        X