If one tenant does not return key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If one tenant does not return key

Out of six tenants (in a student house), one has not returned her key. The tenancy ended today; the new tenants move in tomorrow.

What are my options as far as charging her are concerned? There is hardly anything left of her deposit because of endless late rent payments, damage to carpet, room left in disgusting state, etc.

Presumably I cannot continue to charge her rent once the new tenants have moved in, as one normally could until keys are returned?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

If you're sure that she has actually left, change the locks and debit the cost to her.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      If you're sure that she has actually left, change the locks and debit the cost to her.
      She would ignore the invoice. What are my chances of winning if I have to issue a claim against her?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

How much of her deposit remains? And, when you had to use-up some of it before, why did you not demand that she replenish it?
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
          How much of her deposit remains? And, when you had to use-up some of it before, why did you not demand that she replenish it?
          About £30.

Because, naively I suppose, I gambled on her not being able to owe me more than £300 before the end of the tenancy, which was only 12 months.

She is a person who, despite training to be a doctor, is desperately inadequate in terms of communicating with other human beings. Emails and texts and phone calls and letters all go unanswered. When I asked her to explain the large, unsightly marks on her carpet (so we could do something to remedy them, in the first instance), her mother threatened to sue us for harassment.

I don't believe she would return and burgle the house - she's too spaced out - but I'll take your advice and change the locks, anyway. I estimate that will cost £150 - in your experience, is it worth my suing her for £120?

Comment

Surely for security reasons one should change the locks with every new tenant. There is always a danger of a tenant having had an extra key cut and giving it to someone or keeping it.

Comment

I keep a couple of yale locks and chubb ones and just routinely swap them over at the properties. That way it doesn't cost me anything to change locks and i have added benefit of safe property.

Comment

Originally posted by attilathelandlord View Post
                I keep a couple of yale locks and chubb ones and just routinely swap them over at the properties. That way it doesn't cost me anything to change locks and i have added benefit of safe property.
                As long as your tenants don't know each other or meet to swap 'locks' stories! (That would be a bit sad, I agree)

Comment

Originally posted by attilathelandlord View Post
                  Same here ........

But even without this........£150 ?????????
                  You only need to change the barrels of the locks not the whole lock !
                  on front and back(if back is accessable!?) which is £5-£30 MAX each >>>>>>>>>?????????????????

The Rodent
                  A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                  W.Churchill

Comment

I get a new yale barell for about £6 and new UPVC door locks for about £8. Its all the cost of getting the extra keys cut that bangs it up a bit more

Comment

Thanks, everyone. I'm inspired to change the barrels. In more ways than one, now I've got rid of my most useless tenant ever, (with or without her key).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X