Two of three tenants bar the third from let property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two of three tenants bar the third from let property

Me and a couple of mates started leasing a flat, we signed a joint and several contract however due to personal reasons they prevented me from living their. I have very little cash and no guarantor signed for the property, as such I can't pay the rent. I've tried to negotiate with the landlord but they don't reply to my mail and are now threatening to sue me. What should I do?

Well, as you have signed a legally binding document, you are obliged to pay up! If your friends prevented you from taking up residence then maybe they are honour bound to pay your share and indeed if you don't pay the landlord can also persue them for the outstanding rent, but if you can't pay then you may well end up with a county court judgement on your credit record. The Citizens advice bureau or Shelter may be able to give you further advice.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Lodgers left without notice
      by Stew
      Try and look at this with a positive angle, at least they have left the house allowing you to re-let it when you can. They are not sat in situ and refusing to pay rent which would be far worse.

I was always told by another landlord there is no point chasing people that leave and don't pay...
      03-04-2020, 17:31 PM
    • Lodgers left without notice
      by hoolaholla
      I have 2 student lodgers, I am not at the property at the moment and their rent day recently passed and neither paid rent. When I enquired it transpires they have both vacated the property and are refusing to pay any further rent, their tenancy does not officially end until July. I have a 1 month deposit...
      03-04-2020, 16:52 PM
      by hoolaholla
      That isn't terribly helpful advice. I am enquiring as to my legal position and not your personal and moral opinion....
      03-04-2020, 17:29 PM
      by hamilton
      It sounds to me that you are financially over-extended, if you do not have the money in the bank to cover such eventualities. I suggest you sell up, and readjust your expectation of what life owes you.
      03-04-2020, 17:24 PM
      by hoolaholla
      I am confused by your response, are you suggesting that demanding another 4 months rent as per our agreement is the wrong thing to do? Why is it wrong if this was our agreement?
      EDIT: This was in reply to Hamilton who deleted his reply....
      03-04-2020, 17:23 PM
      by hoolaholla
      I was living there, but I have returned to the family home due to coronavirus. The house is now unoccupied, its alright for them to deny their responsibilities but I have a mortgage and without such a luxury. It is so unfair.
      03-04-2020, 17:12 PM
    • Reply to COVID-19: Court hearing section 8 vacated
      by Stew
      Given that not much can be done court wise re eviction this tenant's issues clearly had nothing to do with Covid could the landlord at least raise a money claims via the online service?

Assuming that the tenant does not have a valid concern with you as a landlord and the eviction would...
      03-04-2020, 17:10 PM
    • COVID-19: Court hearing section 8 vacated
      by syrbag
      A court hearing planned for 23 March for rent arrears vacated, tenant 5 months without paying rent, rent paid 2 months in advance. tenant not picking calls and not taking advantage of the COVID-19 situation. anyone in a similar situation and what is the best way to proceed?

'This...
      03-04-2020, 10:56 AM
      by jpkeates
      I don't know if you have a legally binding agreement or not.

If they signed a contract saying they would stay there for a period, they may be in breach of that contract.
      However, you would be entitled to compensation for any loss, which seems to be nil, it's very unlikely that the...
      03-04-2020, 17:09 PM
      by hoolaholla
      But where do I stand legally? Whatever the current crisis, we still have a legally binding agreement, no?
      03-04-2020, 17:03 PM
    Working...
    X