Two of three tenants bar the third from let property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two of three tenants bar the third from let property

Me and a couple of mates started leasing a flat, we signed a joint and several contract however due to personal reasons they prevented me from living their. I have very little cash and no guarantor signed for the property, as such I can't pay the rent. I've tried to negotiate with the landlord but they don't reply to my mail and are now threatening to sue me. What should I do?

Well, as you have signed a legally binding document, you are obliged to pay up! If your friends prevented you from taking up residence then maybe they are honour bound to pay your share and indeed if you don't pay the landlord can also persue them for the outstanding rent, but if you can't pay then you may well end up with a county court judgement on your credit record. The Citizens advice bureau or Shelter may be able to give you further advice.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X