Notice under s.21 expired but T paid further rent- effect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice under s.21 expired but T paid further rent- effect?

Hello I wondered if anyone could help me

A friend of mine has been served a section 21 notice as the Landlord wants the property back. This expires on Sunday, 31st August, my friend has not found anywhere else for her and her children to live, and the local council will not help her as she works part time.

There are no outstanding arrears.

She intends to stay at the property until it goes to court, she had a standard AST but if she stays does she pay rent? Do they have to issue her with a Mesne Profit receipt?

If they accept her rent without this receipt, does she not by law, get a further six month tenancy by default as they are accepting it?

We are trying hard to find a loop hole so she can stay at the property until a suitable home is found, and your help is most appreciated.

Originally posted by deleney View Post
    Hello I wondered if anyone could help me

A friend of mine has been served a section 21 notice as the Landlord wants the property back. This expires on Sunday, 31st August, my friend has not found anywhere else for her and her children to live, and the local council will not help her as she works part time.

There are no outstanding arrears.

She intends to stay at the property until it goes to court, she had a standard AST but if she stays does she pay rent? Do they have to issue her with a Mesne Profit receipt?

If they accept her rent without this receipt, does she not by law, get a further six month tenancy by default as they are accepting it?

We are trying hard to find a loop hole so she can stay at the property until a suitable home is found, and your help is most appreciated.
    The tenancy will not end until the expiry of a possession order granted by the court. Therefore, she will remain a tenant until then.

She will still need to pay rent, and this will not create any additional rights for her.

Even if everything proceeds smoothly so far as the LL is concerned, the possession and eviction process could take several months.

If she hopes to put off the evil day for as long as she possibly can, then the best she can hope for is a defect in the form or service of the s.21 notice and/or the LL's failure to protect her deposit (if any) as any of these "problems" could cause the LL's possession proceedings to fail, and he may even have to serve a fresh s.21 notice. Please post up further details of:

(1) whether her tenancy is fixed term or periodic,

(2) the date of commencement,

(3) the duration of the tenancy,

(4) whether her deposit has been protected and whether all prescribed information has been served on her,

(5) the date on which the s.21 notice was served.
    Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

Looks like the LA might be doing their usual gatekeeping to. Have replied to your PM OP not sure how I gave the impression I knew something about housing as you said in your message but ta

If you are unsure about what to do seek professional Legal advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Requested permission to get a cat
        by MdeB
        It is not the cat owners, but the cats that are the issue.
        A responsible owner cannot stop a cat causing damage, other than by getting rid of the cat.

No. It comes down to money.

A cat needs to get outside.
        How is that achieved?
        • Cut a hole for a cat flap?
        18-02-2020, 02:46 AM
      • Requested permission to get a cat
        by JessJ235
        Hi all,

Moved into this rental property last July.
        Tenancy states no pets without landlords written permission.

A couple of months after I contacted Landlord about getting a kitten, he responded saying he would get back to me and never did.

I'm a good tenant,...
        15-02-2020, 15:19 PM
      • Reply to Leaving a rented house?
        by AndrewDod
        We don't know that this is a weekly periodic tenancy. It might be -- but the fact that T happens to be paying weekly could simply be because that is what they happen to be doing. The contract might specify otherwise (and the fact that the initial contract was for 12 MONTHS suggests that was the case)....
        18-02-2020, 01:59 AM
      • Leaving a rented house?
        by ETJ
        I do intend on making contact of course but I want to hear it from someone else in case they try to pull a fast one.

We live in a rented house, we've been there many years.
        The rent is paid weekly via a standing order setup by myself.

The contract we signed (about 10...
        15-02-2020, 17:04 PM
      • Reply to Deposit protection claim
        by AndrewDod
        Not directly relevant to the question but more to Artful's rather worrying message:

According to Shelter https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...ing/subtenants

Subtenants's tenancy usually ends if immediate landlord's tenancy ends but there might be exceptions...
        18-02-2020, 01:41 AM
      • Deposit protection claim
        by CuriousPerson
        Hello, my situation is as follows: I have had an agency as a corporate tenant for several years, but this tenancy ended prematurely as they could no longer afford to pay the rent. The agency seems to be effectively bankrupt now; I have recently learned that they did not protect their tenants deposits....
        17-02-2020, 20:56 PM
      • Reply to Does rent increase create a new tanacy
        by MdeB
        If there had to be a written agreement for it to be a tenancy, then that would play into the hands of the criminals....
        18-02-2020, 01:38 AM
      • Does rent increase create a new tanacy
        by RedSkyAtNight
        I have a T on 6 month AST from 2014 with no subsequent written agreements issued, now on statutory periodic. If I increase rent would that create a new tenancy, an force me to comply with new legislation?

Thanks
        16-02-2020, 15:26 PM
      • Reply to Landlord Software ?
        by AndrewDod
        If you are happy to put in a small amount of effort to set up a database, the Android software "Memento" is great. Worth subscribing to get cloud support and the full versions of the software for Windows too....
        18-02-2020, 01:37 AM
      • Landlord Software ?
        by somerset-landlord
        Im looking at software options for a 4-bed house share and a 2-bed flat we let out.

Can anyone recommend any free (or low cost) software which keeps track of inventory, agreements, deposits, rent payments, expenses etc etc

Dont really want to put it all on excel.
        17-02-2020, 18:14 PM
      Working...
      X