Notice under s.21 expired but T paid further rent- effect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice under s.21 expired but T paid further rent- effect?

Hello I wondered if anyone could help me

A friend of mine has been served a section 21 notice as the Landlord wants the property back. This expires on Sunday, 31st August, my friend has not found anywhere else for her and her children to live, and the local council will not help her as she works part time.

There are no outstanding arrears.

She intends to stay at the property until it goes to court, she had a standard AST but if she stays does she pay rent? Do they have to issue her with a Mesne Profit receipt?

If they accept her rent without this receipt, does she not by law, get a further six month tenancy by default as they are accepting it?

We are trying hard to find a loop hole so she can stay at the property until a suitable home is found, and your help is most appreciated.

Originally posted by deleney View Post
    Hello I wondered if anyone could help me

A friend of mine has been served a section 21 notice as the Landlord wants the property back. This expires on Sunday, 31st August, my friend has not found anywhere else for her and her children to live, and the local council will not help her as she works part time.

There are no outstanding arrears.

She intends to stay at the property until it goes to court, she had a standard AST but if she stays does she pay rent? Do they have to issue her with a Mesne Profit receipt?

If they accept her rent without this receipt, does she not by law, get a further six month tenancy by default as they are accepting it?

We are trying hard to find a loop hole so she can stay at the property until a suitable home is found, and your help is most appreciated.
    The tenancy will not end until the expiry of a possession order granted by the court. Therefore, she will remain a tenant until then.

She will still need to pay rent, and this will not create any additional rights for her.

Even if everything proceeds smoothly so far as the LL is concerned, the possession and eviction process could take several months.

If she hopes to put off the evil day for as long as she possibly can, then the best she can hope for is a defect in the form or service of the s.21 notice and/or the LL's failure to protect her deposit (if any) as any of these "problems" could cause the LL's possession proceedings to fail, and he may even have to serve a fresh s.21 notice. Please post up further details of:

(1) whether her tenancy is fixed term or periodic,

(2) the date of commencement,

(3) the duration of the tenancy,

(4) whether her deposit has been protected and whether all prescribed information has been served on her,

(5) the date on which the s.21 notice was served.
    Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

Looks like the LA might be doing their usual gatekeeping to. Have replied to your PM OP not sure how I gave the impression I knew something about housing as you said in your message but ta

If you are unsure about what to do seek professional Legal advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant moved father in. Advice please.
        by skidder
        Will do thanks...
        08-04-2020, 10:32 AM
      • Tenant moved father in. Advice please.
        by skidder
        I have come into a situation with one of my tenants. The flat is one bedroom and my tenants father has been repeatedly coming to visit. It looks like he is trying to move into the property as I have been informed by text from the council that there is another tenant at the address.(he has been coming...
        07-04-2020, 14:07 PM
        by skidder
        ​​​​​​I suspect I'm going to run into the 'Universal Credit' scenario at some stage. His English is non existent so Jobs will not come easy. I hear he is a builder so maybe will get some work (64 years old).

It will be an issue as he will need a Tenancy of some description....
        08-04-2020, 10:32 AM
      • Reply to Washing Machine/Rent arrears
        by Hudson01
        As Slooky says...... you left them behind, i have had to clear all manner of junk from my properties and all at my time and cost, if you wanted them you should have arranged to remove them, if not then they would end up in the skip or similar if it were my property.
        08-04-2020, 10:01 AM
      • Washing Machine/Rent arrears
        by Washingmachine44
        Hi Everyone,

I'm a former tenant of a property and I'm looking for some advice. I rented a property in London for 7 years with my GF and moved out in February of this year. I still owe 2 months rent arrears and this is being paid of in agreed installments through the estate agent. ...
        07-04-2020, 17:54 PM
        by davidmartin_uk
        I agree a lot with above. Dont change the agreement whatever you do! Does he have a right to rent etc etc You could approach it that as long as her father is living there she needs to pay a bit more rent. There is more ware and tear with 2 people there. More washing machine use , more showers and baths....
        08-04-2020, 09:54 AM
      • Reply to Universal Credit Fraud
        by nukecad
        This is in no way benefit fraud.
        Funny how many landlords don't understand that, I'd have though that if you had tenants claiming benefits you would learn how those benefits work.

The DWP will not be interested.

If she has told then she has moved then they won't be helping...
        08-04-2020, 09:49 AM
      • Universal Credit Fraud
        by Habib85
        Hi guys - my first post on here and was hoping to get some guidance

I was getting paid my Trent directly from universal credit after my tenant fell behind on payments for more than two months.

tenant has now decided to inform universal credit department that she has vacated...
        07-04-2020, 13:20 PM
      • Reply to Properties for sale AND Let?
        by boletus
        Maybe, maybe not.
        I dual list at above market average cos of the increasing risks and hassle of being a landlord
        Not bothered if it sells, rents or stays empty for a while....
        08-04-2020, 09:48 AM
      • Properties for sale AND Let?
        by Questioningtenant
        HI! Apologies if this is a stupid question; I am rather ignorant in terms of a property being offered for sale and for let at the same time.

I'm a tenant currently looking for a larger rental property and I've noticed a trend in my area in recent times to place a property both for sale...
        07-04-2020, 21:27 PM
      Working...
      X