tds rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tds rules

Hi, can anybody tell me EXACTLY what i need to provide to my tennant by way of 'prescibed information', ive put the deposit in the dps, it still shows 'awaiting clearance' got 14 days to give information to tenant.... do dps send anything to tenant to confirm this or do i print off the page showing payment together with the dps contact details, is there a thread on this site i can refer to? it seems its as much of an offence to not provide the information within the timescale as it is to not protect the deposit within the timescale? thanks

Hi Bandit,
    Nothing actually 'prescribed' as re a legal requirement.

If you're with the DPS then look at the site and find the terms and conditions page. You can download this in a pdf format if required and/or print this off directly from the viewing page.
    Send a letter to the tenant stating what date you deposited it, where it's actually deposited, the deposit ID, and a copy of the T&C's they provide.

DPS will send Tenant information re their REFUND ID, (not to be mistaken for the deposit ID)
    Ambition is Critical

I don't profess to be a knowledge in all areas, my advice is based on life experience.

Comment

Originally posted by J4L View Post
      Hi Bandit,
      Nothing actually 'prescribed' as re a legal requirement.
      Not so.

By law, a LL is required to give the tenant certain "Prescribed Information" within 14 days of receiving the deposit.

The statutory instrument (the law) is linked here and gives the full SP on what is required: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2007/pdf...0070797_en.pdf
      Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

I give the precribed info out at the same time as the contract, it is part of the standerd ast I use so I dont have to worry about it.

Comment

Apologies to the OP, my mistake.
          Thanks Agent46 for pointing us in the correct direction.
          Ambition is Critical

I don't profess to be a knowledge in all areas, my advice is based on life experience.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to What to do if Tenants not paying rent due to corona virus?
            by MdeB
            But the water damage to the lower floors is not caused by the fire on the top floor but by the response to that fire.

The government did not have to take the steps they did to combat the virus.

They could have said "we will do nothing, allow the virus to rip through the...
            30-03-2020, 17:16 PM
          • What to do if Tenants not paying rent due to corona virus?
            by lanthth2000
            I guess quite a few landlords here may be in the same situation that tenants stop paying anything due to corona virus.

I understand it is a difficult time for everyone. Knowing the fact that Government can pay up to 80% of the salary for anyone affected, it would be OK for me for example...
            26-03-2020, 14:33 PM
          • Reply to Six Months AST or Twelve Months AST with Mutual Break Clause
            by jpkeates
            Exercising a break clause is not serving notice (unless the break clause is badly written).
            If the tenant does it, the tenancy should end at the break.

Because the tenancy has ended because of "a surrender or other action on the part of the tenant" an SPT shouldn't arise...
            30-03-2020, 17:03 PM
          • Six Months AST or Twelve Months AST with Mutual Break Clause
            by Stew
            Hi wondering if during these times for new AST's I should be doing

a) 12 Months AST with 6 Months mutual break clause
            b) 6 Months AST

Rather than worrying about the longer letter my main concern is being able to take back control of the property as soon as possible if...
            28-03-2020, 12:45 PM
          • Reply to Asking for 35% off rent
            by MdeB
            Just because they are a big company does not mean they have a full and accurate understanding/interpretation of the law.

This is just one area in which their understanding is deficient....
            30-03-2020, 17:02 PM
          • Asking for 35% off rent
            by Lillylisa
            Hi. I am a fairly new landlord and I only own one property. About a month ago I reached out to my tenants asking if they were okay and if they wanted to get in contact with me please do. Three days later they contacted me to ask for a massive reduction in the rent asking for 35% off. I have no issues...
            28-03-2020, 16:20 PM
          • Reply to Six Months AST or Twelve Months AST with Mutual Break Clause
            by MdeB
            a) Assuming that the agreement is for a fixed term, and does not contain words about "continuing monthly after the initial term, then it is absolute rubbish, is not legally enforceable, and shows that the authors do not know what they are doing.

Exercising a break clause does not require...
            30-03-2020, 16:56 PM
          • Reply to Aftermath
            by jpkeates
            I think there'll be a dip in property prices post event.
            There'll be a lot of dead, grieving and damaged people and lots of businesses and jobs will be gone forever.

Which will keep landlords in the rental business, because it won't be the best time to sell up.

The government...
            30-03-2020, 15:41 PM
          • Aftermath
            by jase222
            I've been reading all the chat on this forum and was thinking about what it's going to be like after, will landlords be more weary of self employed tenants, have more uc or pack in all together ? Interesting times and the tenants are going to struggle even more as landlords try to doubley make sure...
            30-03-2020, 14:15 PM
          • Reply to My Lodger is not Leaving - Please help with legal advice.
            by jpkeates
            Honestly, you need proper legal advice.
            This is a huge mess and it's getting worse with everything you do.

Legal advice only seems expensive when you compare it with nothing.
            When you compare it with the costs of getting this wrong, it'd cheap.

If the person is...
            30-03-2020, 15:37 PM
          Working...
          X