student -proof garden tips please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

student -proof garden tips please

Have decided I need to do something radical to smarten up the small back garden of a student property we own. Have cleared the flower beds of weeds, triffids, beer cans, etc, etc, and need some ideas for cheap, hardy, slow-growing, evergreen, extremely low maintenance shrubs/plants/bushes. Preferably ones students won't eat/smoke.

Any gardeners out there who could suggest some suitable plants?

(Concreting it over is not an option!)

Many thanks.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    Have decided I need to do something radical to smarten up the small back garden of a student property we own. Have cleared the flower beds of weeds, triffids, beer cans, etc, etc, and need some ideas for cheap, hardy, slow-growing, evergreen, extremely low maintenance shrubs/plants/bushes. Preferably ones students won't eat/smoke.

Any gardeners out there who could suggest some suitable plants?

(Concreting it over is not an option!)

Many thanks.
    Optimistic! All I can suggest is holly bushes but I don't know whether anyone has ever tried smoking them.

Comment

I would reccomend buying a copy of 'Tough plants for Tough Places' by Gary Vergine and Michael Jefferson Brown. Have a look on Amazon
      My views and posts are based on my opinion and any advice given is just that, advice. If you decide to act on any advice given it is with the full knowledge that I am not perfect and anything I say could be wrong!

Comment

Why isn't concrete an option, that's the only student proof substance I know! That way you only have to hose down the various bodily secretions!

Comment

Try looking at gardens outside office blocks, they normally have low maintenance plants, I just don't know what they are called.

Comment

Ferns?? They are evergreen?

Comment

try some of these www.securityadvisor.co.uk/planting.html nice big prickles.
              I am here because I am inexperienced and want to learn.

Comment

Many thanks to everyone for their suggestions - the book especially is really useful.

(Can't concrete it over because I might want to live there myself one day, by the way! I find concrete a bit soulless...and at least soil, plants, grass etc soak up the 'bodily secretions' a bit better!)
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I let out a property with a pond once, to students, I shall never forget the long trail of vomit making its way up the path, veering towards and finally into the pond!

Comment

Originally posted by attilathelandlord View Post
                    I let out a property with a pond once, to students, I shall never forget the long trail of vomit making its way up the path, veering towards and finally into the pond!
                    Followed closely by the student, I hope. But spare a thought for the poor pond-life. Just imagine...you're a simple frog/newt/water-snail, just minding its own business in your pond, when suddenly your life is thrown into complete chaos by the unexpected invasion of some spotty, vomiting teenager.

Students and a pond, eh? A triumph of optimism over experience, if I ever heard of one. That's definitely a case for a truckload of readimix.

Comment

Garden weave and 3 ton of cotswold stone chippings........with a small patio ...cheap maintainance free...........

The Rodent
                      A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                      W.Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
                        Garden weave and 3 ton of cotswold stone chippings........with a small patio ...cheap maintainance free...........

The Rodent
                        What's gardenweave???? There's so much I don't know!

Comment

Check out:
                          http://www.weedstop.ca/why_use_landscape_fabric_e.php
                          A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                          W.Churchill

Comment

Anything that increases the lifespan of mulch has my vote! Cheers, Rodent.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Lodgers left without notice
                              by Stew
                              Try and look at this with a positive angle, at least they have left the house allowing you to re-let it when you can. They are not sat in situ and refusing to pay rent which would be far worse.

I was always told by another landlord there is no point chasing people that leave and don't pay...
                              03-04-2020, 17:31 PM
                            • Lodgers left without notice
                              by hoolaholla
                              I have 2 student lodgers, I am not at the property at the moment and their rent day recently passed and neither paid rent. When I enquired it transpires they have both vacated the property and are refusing to pay any further rent, their tenancy does not officially end until July. I have a 1 month deposit...
                              03-04-2020, 16:52 PM
                              by hoolaholla
                              That isn't terribly helpful advice. I am enquiring as to my legal position and not your personal and moral opinion....
                              03-04-2020, 17:29 PM
                              by hamilton
                              It sounds to me that you are financially over-extended, if you do not have the money in the bank to cover such eventualities. I suggest you sell up, and readjust your expectation of what life owes you.
                              03-04-2020, 17:24 PM
                              by hoolaholla
                              I am confused by your response, are you suggesting that demanding another 4 months rent as per our agreement is the wrong thing to do? Why is it wrong if this was our agreement?
                              EDIT: This was in reply to Hamilton who deleted his reply....
                              03-04-2020, 17:23 PM
                              by hoolaholla
                              I was living there, but I have returned to the family home due to coronavirus. The house is now unoccupied, its alright for them to deny their responsibilities but I have a mortgage and without such a luxury. It is so unfair.
                              03-04-2020, 17:12 PM
                            • Reply to COVID-19: Court hearing section 8 vacated
                              by Stew
                              Given that not much can be done court wise re eviction this tenant's issues clearly had nothing to do with Covid could the landlord at least raise a money claims via the online service?

Assuming that the tenant does not have a valid concern with you as a landlord and the eviction would...
                              03-04-2020, 17:10 PM
                            • COVID-19: Court hearing section 8 vacated
                              by syrbag
                              A court hearing planned for 23 March for rent arrears vacated, tenant 5 months without paying rent, rent paid 2 months in advance. tenant not picking calls and not taking advantage of the COVID-19 situation. anyone in a similar situation and what is the best way to proceed?

'This...
                              03-04-2020, 10:56 AM
                              by jpkeates
                              I don't know if you have a legally binding agreement or not.

If they signed a contract saying they would stay there for a period, they may be in breach of that contract.
                              However, you would be entitled to compensation for any loss, which seems to be nil, it's very unlikely that the...
                              03-04-2020, 17:09 PM
                              by hoolaholla
                              But where do I stand legally? Whatever the current crisis, we still have a legally binding agreement, no?
                              03-04-2020, 17:03 PM
                            Working...
                            X