• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant missing for six months; no rent paid either

hi everyone

i have a tennant whos been missing for 6 months

she hasnt paid any rent

what can i do about it?

Er, why did the rent arrears slide to this extent? As soon as one month's rent is unpaid, L should be on to T (failing which serve a s.8 Notice).
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

bad management

doesnt it have to be 2 months outstanding

further, she has been missing for months, no ones seen her

should i still issue a section 8? shall i issue a section 21 aswell?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJohnson View Post
        doesnt it have to be 2 months outstanding
        Not "in arrears". For ground 8 under s.8, in the case of a monthly rent, there must be at least two months' rent unpaid [i.e. not "in arrears"]. If month1's is unpaid, and month2's is not paid on the due date, L can- the very next day (when the rent's one month and one day in arrears)- proceed on the basis that two months' rent payments have fallen due and still remain unpaid.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

section 8 on grounds 8, 10 and 11 pronto pronto and a section 21 for good measure!

If you are unsure about what to do seek professional Legal advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Requested permission to get a cat
            by MdeB
            It is not the cat owners, but the cats that are the issue.
            A responsible owner cannot stop a cat causing damage, other than by getting rid of the cat.

No. It comes down to money.

A cat needs to get outside.
            How is that achieved?
            • Cut a hole for a cat flap?
            18-02-2020, 02:46 AM
          • Requested permission to get a cat
            by JessJ235
            Hi all,

Moved into this rental property last July.
            Tenancy states no pets without landlords written permission.

A couple of months after I contacted Landlord about getting a kitten, he responded saying he would get back to me and never did.

I'm a good tenant,...
            15-02-2020, 15:19 PM
          • Reply to Leaving a rented house?
            by AndrewDod
            We don't know that this is a weekly periodic tenancy. It might be -- but the fact that T happens to be paying weekly could simply be because that is what they happen to be doing. The contract might specify otherwise (and the fact that the initial contract was for 12 MONTHS suggests that was the case)....
            18-02-2020, 01:59 AM
          • Leaving a rented house?
            by ETJ
            I do intend on making contact of course but I want to hear it from someone else in case they try to pull a fast one.

We live in a rented house, we've been there many years.
            The rent is paid weekly via a standing order setup by myself.

The contract we signed (about 10...
            15-02-2020, 17:04 PM
          • Reply to Deposit protection claim
            by AndrewDod
            Not directly relevant to the question but more to Artful's rather worrying message:

According to Shelter https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...ing/subtenants

Subtenants's tenancy usually ends if immediate landlord's tenancy ends but there might be exceptions...
            18-02-2020, 01:41 AM
          • Deposit protection claim
            by CuriousPerson
            Hello, my situation is as follows: I have had an agency as a corporate tenant for several years, but this tenancy ended prematurely as they could no longer afford to pay the rent. The agency seems to be effectively bankrupt now; I have recently learned that they did not protect their tenants deposits....
            17-02-2020, 20:56 PM
          • Reply to Does rent increase create a new tanacy
            by MdeB
            If there had to be a written agreement for it to be a tenancy, then that would play into the hands of the criminals....
            18-02-2020, 01:38 AM
          • Does rent increase create a new tanacy
            by RedSkyAtNight
            I have a T on 6 month AST from 2014 with no subsequent written agreements issued, now on statutory periodic. If I increase rent would that create a new tenancy, an force me to comply with new legislation?

Thanks
            16-02-2020, 15:26 PM
          • Reply to Landlord Software ?
            by AndrewDod
            If you are happy to put in a small amount of effort to set up a database, the Android software "Memento" is great. Worth subscribing to get cloud support and the full versions of the software for Windows too....
            18-02-2020, 01:37 AM
          • Landlord Software ?
            by somerset-landlord
            Im looking at software options for a 4-bed house share and a 2-bed flat we let out.

Can anyone recommend any free (or low cost) software which keeps track of inventory, agreements, deposits, rent payments, expenses etc etc

Dont really want to put it all on excel.
            17-02-2020, 18:14 PM
          Working...
          X