I rent property but L has no contract with other tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I rent property but L has no contract with other tenants

I'm a tenant in a property. I have contract with my landlord but I know other flatmates don't. Is that legal?

If it is legal, what rights do they have? Can they be evicted immediately? Or they should be given e.g. 1 month notice (or whatever applies in such situation). If it is legal, why does contract exist at all? The washing machine is broken down and the landlord doesn't want to carry out a repairing (at least doesn't seem to be contribute in resolving the issue) and they are a bit worried about pushing this issue fearing they are in an illegal situation and the landlord can use this argument against them.

If it is not legal, does this mean acting my landlord as a landlord is completely illegal, therefore I am in an illegal situation as well?

Originally posted by szt69 View Post
    I'm a tenant in a property. I have contract with my landlord but I know other flatmates don't. Is that legal?

If it is legal, what rights do they have? Can they be evicted immediately? Or they should be given e.g. 1 month notice (or whatever applies in such situation). If it is legal, why does contract exist at all? The washing machine is broken down and the landlord doesn't want to carry out a repairing (at least doesn't seem to be contribute in resolving the issue) and they are a bit worried about pushing this issue fearing they are in an illegal situation and the landlord can use this argument against them.

If it is not legal, does this mean acting my landlord as a landlord is completely illegal, therefore I am in an illegal situation as well?
    Are your flatmates on one tenancy agreement or do they each have separate tenancy agreements?

You can have a verbal contract, but it is much harder to prove things if problems or disputes occur, for either the landlord or the tenant.
    There is nothing illegal about a verbal contract.

As far as I understand it, all tenancy agreements whether verbal or written are automatically AST unless specifically stated that they are not.
    Therefore, there are some things that someone without a contract will benefit from, even though they do not have a written agreement.

Why don't you ask the landlord to repair the washing machine?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X