Token meter or standard meter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Token meter or standard meter?

Having taken on 4 new flats in one property, what would you recommend for the following:

2 flats have token meters, and 2 have standard meters.

Should I have them all as token or all as standard?

What are the advantages or disadvantages of either if any.

Thanks for your time, input and comments.
    Earn More Residual Income From Your Property - bills2big.net
    Landlords & Letting Agents It's A Must!

Originally posted by DreamLifestyle View Post
    2 flats have token meters, and 2 have standard meters.

Should I have them all as token or all as standard?

What are the advantages or disadvantages of either if any.
    Depends on your target market.

Anyone who can afford to pay on a standard meter (ie monthly d/d or quarterly bill) will find it a total PITA to have to top up a token meter, not to mention the more expensive tariff, so if you're taking on young professionals it's a no-brainer. Conversely, if you're looking for, say, HB tenants living on the breadline, they may prefer token meters.

Bear in mind that the supply contract is between the tenant and the utility company which means that (a) the tenant is able to choose their own type of meter anyway, which doesn't cost them (or you) anything, and (b)there's no comeback on you if they abscond leaving unpaid bills.

Comment

Thanks for your comments.

I think I will change them to standard meters, as I am looking for young professionals.
      Earn More Residual Income From Your Property - bills2big.net
      Landlords & Letting Agents It's A Must!

Comment

I use £1 coin meters. Seems to work ok.

Comment

As a tenant, I'd pass over a flat with a coin meter if I had a choice, or at least get the meter changed.

As Ericthelobster says, why would any professional tenant want to stick with the hassle and the expense?

Comment

I rent bedsits and most tenants do not seem to have a problem with the coin meter. Its not practical to have seperate bills for each room so coin meter is most practical. There are card meters but then you have to go and buy credit.

It costs tenants between 2 and 5 quid a week depending on how much they use.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X