Flea infestion of premises- how it starts, how to end it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The lack of deposit protection makes your case much simpler. Send this letter...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...ml#post2576374

You will see on the letter that there is the possibility of the landlord having to pay you 3x the value of the deposit. Ignore this. Whilst it is technically true, there are severe risks attached to making such a claim. It is not in the samll claims track - so you could end up having to pay the landlords solicitors fees etc (£75 ph?) if you lose. And it would be very easy for the landlord to avoid the penalty because a recent High Court case confirmed that if the deposit is protected by DPS before it gets to court, then the 3x does not apply.

However, I have left it in the letter because it is a good and legitimate threat - no one can force you to carry it out.

This letter has been successful for several users of this forum - however if LL doesn't pay up, you start your claim for deposit only at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. To claim for the 3x deposit, take legal advice first.

Comment

Originally posted by Warrior06 View Post
      re fees, OK I would get these back but would he/I get potentially more if we win/loose?
      No, you get what you are owed, there is no 'fine', 'damages' or 'compensation'. LL could counterclaim, so if you lose and he wins then you could end up paying more than you currently owe - if he can prove the amounts are legitimate.

Comment

I cannot see any schemes mentioned on the 4 pages contract he made me sign... I guess that would be mentioned on it, correct?

Comment

For the deposit to comply with the law, it not only needs to be protected, but you have to have been given information about the scheme - called "prescribed information". It certainly sounds as if that bit at least hasn't been done.

Fill in this form, it will send an email to the 3 schemes to check if your deposit is protected by them - it will take a few days for them to reply to you because of the weekend and bank holiday. http://www.snorkerz.com/deposit.html

Comment

Hi - I am waiting for the answers re the deposit scheme but I suspect my deposit is on non of them.

In the mean time, I still have the keys of the flat for the simple reason that there has not been any inventory check out and I have simply not had the opportunity to hand out the keys. They have not asked me for them so far. I really do not mind giving them the keys back but is the fact that this has not been done yet an issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Warrior06 View Post
              Hi - I am waiting for the answers re the deposit scheme but I suspect my deposit is on non of them.

In the mean time, I still have the keys of the flat for the simple reason that there has not been any inventory check out and I have simply not had the opportunity to hand out the keys. They have not asked me for them so far. I really do not mind giving them the keys back but is the fact that this has not been done yet an issue?
              I'm not sure, but I'd certainly avoid using them!

Regarding the fleas, we had a clause in our tenancy agreement for the place we rented last that siad if we keep cats, we must pay for professionals to de-flea the place when we leave. During the tenancy we did get fleas (we didn't advise the agency or LL of this) and we called a Rentokill-type company. They actually advised that we'd be better served buying our own spray and treating the place ourselves - so kudos to them for honesty.

We treated it ourselves and ensured that we finished the course. When we were leaving, we told the LA that we'd been treating the place ourselves and they were reasonable and said that we didn't need to pay for professionals to come in on the basis that there was no evidence of any fleas when we checked out.

So, that's the stance I believe your LL should be taking IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
                We treated it ourselves and ensured that we finished the course. When we were leaving, we told the LA that we'd been treating the place ourselves and they were reasonable and said that we didn't need to pay for professionals to come in on the basis that there was no evidence of any fleas when we checked out.

So, that's the stance I believe your LL should be taking IMO.
                Well, as far as I'm aware, flea eggs can take between a week and two weeks to hatch, so saying that you've given the rooms one spraying and eradicated the problem is possibly not true. What you've probably done is simply kill some of those that were hopping around at the time.

I don't think it's unreasonable, if there are fleas, for the LL to get a professional company in to get rid of them. If I were the LL, I would rather take the professional's word for it rather than the T's that the problem had been fixed.

Also, there's no reason I think for the LL to let you back in to respray the property. Quite honestly, this should have been done by you in the weeks prior to vacating.

The lack of deposit protection is a different matter (if indeed it did require protecting) but may have a bearing on future negotiations with the LL.

Comment

All,

Despite my repeated emails, my landlord does not even answer me! That is incredible!

I am now seriously thinking about submitting a claim to the Small Claim Court. Although it says on their leaflet that we have to use all the ways possible to solve the issue such as a arbitration, mediation etc. In my case, where after 2 weeks the landlord does not even bother to answer, can I submit a claim directly or will I be penalised for not having found "other" ways to settle the issue?

Also, some of the proof that I have in terms of agreements between by landlord and myself (re notice period that is straight 4 weeks for instance) are on text messages on my mobile, they count right?

Many thanks....

Comment

What do you think of the following for the "particulars of claim" in the online claim section?

"I paid a deposit of £1,710 for the flat I rented at [XXXXX], until 21st April 2010. My LL has been refusing to communicate since 27th April on an issue that has been dividing us. Facts: 1/ The LL did not conduct any inventory at the start of the tenancy, nor protected/registered my deposit. 2/ At the time of my departure, I requested a meeting with the LL for him to inspect the flat, me to hand the keys back and us to agree on the deposit. He refused to meet me, even before any issue was raised. 3/ Without informing me of anything, the LL conducted refurbishment work and freely entered the property from 9th April, while my tenancy agreement was ending on 21st April, as agreed between both parties. 4/ Some agent entered the property, and ‘discovered’ on 21st April cat fleas in it. We had a cat but never saw any fleas on it. 5/ The LL immediately imposed on me 2 weeks of additional rent plus professional treatment, which I disagree with"

Many thanks

Comment

Fleas in my apartment

Hi,

i need advice on what to do about a problem with fleas with mine and my partners apartment. we moved into our apartment about a month ago. we knew the previous tenant had two cats but about 3 weeks into our tenancy me and my girlfriend started noticing that we were getting bitten and there were fleas jumping around the apartment. we have had to move or bed and a lot of our personal belongings into the sitting room where we seem to be getting bitten less (only because it is laminate flooring) and is where were having to be confined because we dont want to go into the other rooms where we will get bitten. we notified the agency about a week and a half ago and we phoned up again today and they say the maintanence people are on holiday so they say theres nothing they can do. i know a little about law as im a law student so i have some idea of what i can do but i want a second more experienced opinion if possible

thanks

Comment

Hi, if it were me, I'd want to treat for the fleas immediately, but don't know where you stand with the agency and getting your fees reimbursed, sorry, but I can advise the best treatment I have ever come across, (being a pet owner and previously working at a veterinary surgery), there is a really good product, (of which I will send you a message of the name of as I do not want to be seen as spamming), which is a spray form and very easy to use. Not only does it kill adult fleas, it also has a hatching inhibitor for any eggs in the property, and also kills the pupae stage.

Its relatively inexpensive in comparison to the fees of pest control and as I state, it works not only on the adult flea but all life stages of the flea which is the main battle.

Perhaps someone else on here can confirm that if you notify the agency that you will be purchasing some, and that as the maintenance people are away, if you forward them the receipt, they can reimburse you your costs?

I hope this helps.

Comment

thanks for the reply

weve been buying flea treating stuff, and weve looked all over the internet for methods to get rid of them including a lot of lavender products but weve been trying ourselves for a while now, and i know it doesnt happen overnight but me and my girlfriend are getting sick.

we also looked at our local council to see if they could get rid of pests and they can for only £45, we asked if we could pay for it and if they would reemburse us but they said if we pay for it it comes out of our own money and they wont give us anything back and they wouldnt use the council because they had already put the request into their maintanence team who are on holiday...

Comment

Originally posted by KMB5 View Post
                            I can advise the best treatment I have ever come across, (being a pet owner and previously working at a veterinary surgery), there is a really good product, (of which I will send you a message of the name of as I do not want to be seen as spamming), which is a spray form and very easy to use. Not only does it kill adult fleas, it also has a hatching inhibitor for any eggs in the property, and also kills the pupae stage.
                            Could you please name the product. It may be useful for other people.

You're not spamming if you do not work for the company making or selling the product.

Comment

Several largely similar questions on separate threads have been merged into this thread (hence the repetitive nature of answers).

Comment

Could you please name the product. It may be useful for other people.

You're not spamming if you do not work for the company making or selling the product.
                                Hi Mrs Mug, thanks for that, no, I do not work for the company making or selling it!

The product is called Acclaim, or Vetkem Acclaim. It used to only be available at vets but can now be bought online or even at some larger Boots at around £13?? and can be found for less online.

Fabulous stuff. Follow the instructions carefully and I do a room at a time, closing the door behind me, and then leaving for the stated time and then air it.

It is advisable to wash any bedding at a high temperature rather than treating it and pay attention to cracks and crevices.

If you attack the life cycle of the flea it is much more effective than simply killing the adults as eggs can lay dormant for some time, hatching if vibrations are sensed i.e. property had pets untreated for fleas, property was then empty for some time, then new occupants moved in creating vibrations and causing eggs to hatch. The pupae / larval stage love carpets, nooks and crannies so pay particular attention to these. Apx only 5% of a flea population are adults, so imagine the amount of eggs etc!

A lot of "flea bombs" and treatments used only kill the adult flea, but a female egg laying flea can lay around 20 at a time, you can imagine the rest!

Also, in this weather, adults fleas can live for some time off a "host" and can be brought into any property by many an unsuspecting "carrier".

Using Acclaim, I rarely have to directly treat my own pets for fleas as the environment is clear, however, they can pick them up on walks, but Acclaim leaves a residue which lasts for some time.

Here is the gen:

"Contains S-methoprene and permethrin to kill fleas and flea larvae plus a full TWELVE MONTHS activity against flea egg development. The adulticide has proven efficacy for six weeks.

One can covers 140 sq.m. (1200 sq.ft.) - so do measure up your house so as to cover every area your pet has been to.

Does not break down in sunlight, has no unpleasant odour."

I hope this helps.

Edit: PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU KEEP FISH OR ANYTHING AQUATIC!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X