AST deposit exceeding one month's rent- effect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AST deposit exceeding one month's rent- effect?

Hihi

If someone pays say 4 months deposit for a 12 month AST then am I right in thinking it's not a 'normal' deposit. Apologies for being vague I just don't know what the deposit becomes or is in such a case if that makes any sense!

I would be grateful if some wise folks could clear up my confused mind!

Housed

Originally posted by housed View Post
    If someone pays say 4 months deposit for a 12 month AST then am I right in thinking it's not a 'normal' deposit.
    The issue is whether or not this constitutes a "premium" and there appears to be disgreement on this forum about whether that is the case or not.

Searching the archives for 'premium' may help.

Comment

Even if it is a premium, why is that a problem?
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
        Even if it is a premium, why is that a problem?
        Does a premium not confer any more rights to the tenant?

Comment

See http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=13061- my post #3.
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

thanks for the responses, it wasn't something that had come up before so I was rather clueless to say the least.

Comment

..sorry, but I find that post hard to read/understand. Can you summarise it for me in plain english?

Comment

Result of analysis: there is no real bar to L taking deposit in excess of one month's rent, even if it counts as a premium.

Comment

Result of analysis: there is no real bar to L taking deposit in excess of one month's rent, even if it counts as a premium.
                  But does the charging/taking of a premium change the status, rights or powers of either tenant or landlord?

Comment

I cannot see that it does. What had you in mind, please?

Comment

I cannot see that it does. What had you in mind, please?
                      For example, you mention assignment and subletting.
                      Also, do the notice periods change?

Comment

I always take one and a half month's rent as deposit. I don't think there is anything odd about this. Four month's would seem a bit excessive tho.
                        Mrs Jones
                        I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

Originally posted by SEB View Post
                          For example, you mention assignment and subletting.
                          Also, do the notice periods change?
                          If a written AST contains an explicit bar on assignment/subletting, the fact that a large deposit is deemed (and treated as) premium is irrelevant; it's just that the implied terms would have differed.

And the statutory Notice periods (in 1988 Act) are unaffected too.

Why do people have this phobia about larger deposits? Do they know something that's escaped my knowledge (possible)? Please tell.

Comment

I think that I might now know why AST landlords are queasy about this topic, e.g. the treating of an unusually-large deposit as a premium.

Under s.119 of the Rent Act 1977, it was a criminal offence to require a premium as a condition of grant/renewal/continuance of a protected tenancy. I wonder whether a folk-memory of this still daunts Housing Act 1988 landlords (AST/SAT).

Comment

I think that I might now know why AST landlords are queasy about this topic, e.g. the treating of an unusually-large deposit as a premium.
                              My own 'knowledge' of this comes only from reading this forum. I wonder though, is it a Scottish issue maybe? See here:http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/getad...IGN_NAME=print

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Washing Machine/Rent arrears
                                by jpkeates
                                Revisit the repayment plan.

You know you owe the money, but, right now, can't pay what you thought you could.
                                That's fair enough.

Offer the agent/landlord a revised plan based on your new circumstances....
                                08-04-2020, 08:39 AM
                              • Washing Machine/Rent arrears
                                by Washingmachine44
                                Hi Everyone,

I'm a former tenant of a property and I'm looking for some advice. I rented a property in London for 7 years with my GF and moved out in February of this year. I still owe 2 months rent arrears and this is being paid of in agreed installments through the estate agent. ...
                                07-04-2020, 17:54 PM
                              • Reply to Properties for sale AND Let?
                                by theartfullodger
                                If tenanted and then sold, the sale does not end the tenancy nor require tenant to leave.

New owner becomes new landlord, even if outside with removals van and screaming kids. Normal eviction processes apply .
                                08-04-2020, 07:47 AM
                              • Properties for sale AND Let?
                                by Questioningtenant
                                HI! Apologies if this is a stupid question; I am rather ignorant in terms of a property being offered for sale and for let at the same time.

I'm a tenant currently looking for a larger rental property and I've noticed a trend in my area in recent times to place a property both for sale...
                                07-04-2020, 21:27 PM
                                by boletus
                                You have to look at yourself in the mirror every morning?
                                Karma?

Or on a practical level;

The stress finishes off the landlord. The grandson then takes over the estate and is not such a good man. He is very upset at the tenant's low behaviour after the old man
                                08-04-2020, 07:27 AM
                                by boletus
                                I have low quality machines still going strong more than 20 years old. I've also replaced one that was 2 years and 2 months old (I remember looking up the just out of date warranty- bearings had gone)

https://www.tenancydepositscheme.com...sing-items.pdf

It is reasonable to...
                                08-04-2020, 06:59 AM
                              • Reply to Properties for sale AND Let?
                                by BTL investor
                                Only reason I can think of is that whilst the property is untenanted the owner puts it up for rent but also puts it up for sale at a high price just in case a buyer willing to pay the high price comes along.
                                07-04-2020, 23:31 PM
                              • Reply to Restrictions on rental agent
                                by Mike_H
                                Here in Aus, agents are allowed to do individual viewings, auctions are going ahead (albeit online) and you still see removal vans moving people in and out of places etc Sounds like we're a little less restricted than the UK at the moment.

Hopefully we get over all this sooner rather than...
                                07-04-2020, 23:28 PM
                              • Restrictions on rental agent
                                by Mike_H
                                I'm currently living abroad so am not up on the restrictions currently in place in the UK.

The tenant in my house (in the UK) is leaving at the end of the month. My rental agent has advertised the property and has had plenty of interest, but is telling me that there is nothing they can...
                                07-04-2020, 21:28 PM
                              • Reply to Restrictions on rental agent
                                by Questioningtenant
                                Some letting agents are offering 'virtual viewings' although in my area, these seem few and far between. I have also send a couple of properties switch to 'Let Agreed' in the past couple of days and many agents are processing everything digitally - I think it depends largely on the agent in terms of...
                                07-04-2020, 22:17 PM
                              Working...
                              X