AST deposit exceeding one month's rent- effect?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AST deposit exceeding one month's rent- effect?

Hihi

If someone pays say 4 months deposit for a 12 month AST then am I right in thinking it's not a 'normal' deposit. Apologies for being vague I just don't know what the deposit becomes or is in such a case if that makes any sense!

I would be grateful if some wise folks could clear up my confused mind!

Housed

Originally posted by housed View Post
    If someone pays say 4 months deposit for a 12 month AST then am I right in thinking it's not a 'normal' deposit.
    The issue is whether or not this constitutes a "premium" and there appears to be disgreement on this forum about whether that is the case or not.

Searching the archives for 'premium' may help.

Comment

Even if it is a premium, why is that a problem?
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
        Even if it is a premium, why is that a problem?
        Does a premium not confer any more rights to the tenant?

Comment

See http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=13061- my post #3.
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

thanks for the responses, it wasn't something that had come up before so I was rather clueless to say the least.

Comment

..sorry, but I find that post hard to read/understand. Can you summarise it for me in plain english?

Comment

Result of analysis: there is no real bar to L taking deposit in excess of one month's rent, even if it counts as a premium.

Comment

Result of analysis: there is no real bar to L taking deposit in excess of one month's rent, even if it counts as a premium.
                  But does the charging/taking of a premium change the status, rights or powers of either tenant or landlord?

Comment

I cannot see that it does. What had you in mind, please?

Comment

I cannot see that it does. What had you in mind, please?
                      For example, you mention assignment and subletting.
                      Also, do the notice periods change?

Comment

I always take one and a half month's rent as deposit. I don't think there is anything odd about this. Four month's would seem a bit excessive tho.
                        Mrs Jones
                        I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

Originally posted by SEB View Post
                          For example, you mention assignment and subletting.
                          Also, do the notice periods change?
                          If a written AST contains an explicit bar on assignment/subletting, the fact that a large deposit is deemed (and treated as) premium is irrelevant; it's just that the implied terms would have differed.

And the statutory Notice periods (in 1988 Act) are unaffected too.

Why do people have this phobia about larger deposits? Do they know something that's escaped my knowledge (possible)? Please tell.

Comment

I think that I might now know why AST landlords are queasy about this topic, e.g. the treating of an unusually-large deposit as a premium.

Under s.119 of the Rent Act 1977, it was a criminal offence to require a premium as a condition of grant/renewal/continuance of a protected tenancy. I wonder whether a folk-memory of this still daunts Housing Act 1988 landlords (AST/SAT).

Comment

I think that I might now know why AST landlords are queasy about this topic, e.g. the treating of an unusually-large deposit as a premium.
                              My own 'knowledge' of this comes only from reading this forum. I wonder though, is it a Scottish issue maybe? See here:http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/getad...IGN_NAME=print

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant's energy debt.
                                Gordonmrln
                                I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
                                20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
                                leaseholder64
                                I wasn't aware that the identity of council tax payers was a public record. You might be able to get a statement that it wasn't you. without breaching the Data Protection Act.
                                23-07-2017, 23:27 PM
                              • Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                                JP23
                                Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
                                23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
                              • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                                jjlandlord
                                I'd hope so! They run a business after all....
                                23-07-2017, 22:32 PM
                              • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                                KTC
                                The main problem I have for the charge being passed on is that often times (esp. through agents) the charge is actually considerably more than the protection fee they pay the schemes. It's been used as another way for agents (or landlords) to make money.
                                23-07-2017, 22:29 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
                                Wright76
                                Your still confusing your own council tax liability at your current address with that of the rental property.

If no-one was registered as living there then you would have been billed as landlord. The fact that you haven't been indicates that they are aware of who was tenant. ASK THEM FOR...
                                23-07-2017, 22:18 PM
                                Wright76
                                To be fair lvkn yes the rent covers everything you state, but the 48 pound charge Is your choice and is avoidable.

You choose to use an insurance based scheme and hold the tenants money collecting interest. How is it fair to force that charge on your tenant each time?

With...
                                23-07-2017, 22:06 PM
                                Lvkn
                                Hello
                                i am a landlord and have insurance based deposit protection (I hold the deposit in segregated client account and register it with My Deposits) every time a new contract is drawn up we have to pay £48. If a tenancy is renewed, we pay £48. If someone moves out of one of our multiple tenant...
                                23-07-2017, 20:27 PM
                              • Excessive estate agent fees
                                Cml241
                                I have a property which I started renting out via an agency. When the contract started, they found new tenants, did the relevant checks etc and charged an upfront fee which equates to approx one month's rent. As one year has almost passed, the agent has approached me asking if I want them to 'renegotiate'...
                                21-07-2017, 16:26 PM
                              • Reply to Excessive estate agent fees
                                Wright76
                                If you have no ongoing contract with the agent and it was "find" only, they have no right to force you into a new AST.

Depending on the terms of your contract there's nothing to prevent you, if your feeling confident, in renewing the contract yourself and taking over.
                                23-07-2017, 19:11 PM
                              Working...
                              X