AST deposit exceeding one month's rent- effect?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AST deposit exceeding one month's rent- effect?

Hihi

If someone pays say 4 months deposit for a 12 month AST then am I right in thinking it's not a 'normal' deposit. Apologies for being vague I just don't know what the deposit becomes or is in such a case if that makes any sense!

I would be grateful if some wise folks could clear up my confused mind!

Housed

Originally posted by housed View Post
    If someone pays say 4 months deposit for a 12 month AST then am I right in thinking it's not a 'normal' deposit.
    The issue is whether or not this constitutes a "premium" and there appears to be disgreement on this forum about whether that is the case or not.

Searching the archives for 'premium' may help.

Comment

Even if it is a premium, why is that a problem?
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
        Even if it is a premium, why is that a problem?
        Does a premium not confer any more rights to the tenant?

Comment

See http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=13061- my post #3.
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

thanks for the responses, it wasn't something that had come up before so I was rather clueless to say the least.

Comment

..sorry, but I find that post hard to read/understand. Can you summarise it for me in plain english?

Comment

Result of analysis: there is no real bar to L taking deposit in excess of one month's rent, even if it counts as a premium.

Comment

Result of analysis: there is no real bar to L taking deposit in excess of one month's rent, even if it counts as a premium.
                  But does the charging/taking of a premium change the status, rights or powers of either tenant or landlord?

Comment

I cannot see that it does. What had you in mind, please?

Comment

I cannot see that it does. What had you in mind, please?
                      For example, you mention assignment and subletting.
                      Also, do the notice periods change?

Comment

I always take one and a half month's rent as deposit. I don't think there is anything odd about this. Four month's would seem a bit excessive tho.
                        Mrs Jones
                        I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

Originally posted by SEB View Post
                          For example, you mention assignment and subletting.
                          Also, do the notice periods change?
                          If a written AST contains an explicit bar on assignment/subletting, the fact that a large deposit is deemed (and treated as) premium is irrelevant; it's just that the implied terms would have differed.

And the statutory Notice periods (in 1988 Act) are unaffected too.

Why do people have this phobia about larger deposits? Do they know something that's escaped my knowledge (possible)? Please tell.

Comment

I think that I might now know why AST landlords are queasy about this topic, e.g. the treating of an unusually-large deposit as a premium.

Under s.119 of the Rent Act 1977, it was a criminal offence to require a premium as a condition of grant/renewal/continuance of a protected tenancy. I wonder whether a folk-memory of this still daunts Housing Act 1988 landlords (AST/SAT).

Comment

I think that I might now know why AST landlords are queasy about this topic, e.g. the treating of an unusually-large deposit as a premium.
                              My own 'knowledge' of this comes only from reading this forum. I wonder though, is it a Scottish issue maybe? See here:http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/getad...IGN_NAME=print

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Small damage to landlords wooden floor...
                                Killuzka
                                Hello,

​​​​​Im new here so I hope i posted in right section.

​​​​​​I have a problem, I was helping out a friend and I kept her cat at my place for a few days, because it all came so fast i had to make a toilet really fast for cat .. it was from cardboard...
                                15-01-2018, 19:42 PM
                              • Reply to Small damage to landlords wooden floor...
                                jpkeates
                                The landlord is able to claim for any loss beyond fair wear and tear that occurs during the tenancy.
                                The damage isn't fair wear and tear, so the landlord can ask you for compensation.

Will the landlord even notice before you move out - which is when any claim can be made?
                                Otherwise,...
                                16-01-2018, 09:26 AM
                              • Am I locked in to agency fees?
                                SaurfLondonLad
                                I am just coming to the end of my first year of being a LL on a property which I self manage. My tenants are great and I now wish to ditch my agent to save them and me money and collect the rent myself. The agent's contract does clearly state that fees are liable for as long as the tenant resides. This...
                                15-01-2018, 20:02 PM
                              • Reply to Am I locked in to agency fees?
                                jpkeates
                                Don't lie to the agent - they're not (that) stupid, and then you would owe them the fees if they claimed them.

I'd try and negotiate a deal - for most businesses a large chunk of income today is worth more than the promise of income month by month.

The agent's business model...
                                16-01-2018, 09:24 AM
                              • Termination of Tenancy
                                janeygee
                                Hi,
                                looking for some practical advice here, first post.I shall try to hit the main points and be brief.
                                I have been renting my house to a couple whilst I have been out of the UK with a private rental contract, visiting the house once a year. They have been renting for 10 years , on a one...
                                15-01-2018, 15:34 PM
                              • Reply to Termination of Tenancy
                                jpkeates
                                The tenant "gave" the landlord the light fittings and power sockets when they fitted them to the landlord's property.
                                They can't return the property with holes where they used to be - that isn't fair wear and tear.
                                They could replace them with sockets and light fittings equivalent...
                                16-01-2018, 09:19 AM
                              • Letting in name of a Ltd company
                                matt.svppli
                                Hi,

I have a quick question to ask.
                                Is it generally acceptable to sign a tenancy agreement in name of one's business and make rent payments via a business account?

The idea here is that part of the rented house would work as a home office, therefore I would like the payments...
                                15-01-2018, 14:16 PM
                              • Reply to Letting in name of a Ltd company
                                theartfullodger
                                That would be fraud (probably, based on what OP stated), a criminal offence...
                                16-01-2018, 09:18 AM
                              • Deposit not Protected
                                prm70115
                                Hi there,

I have recently found out the the agent (working for the landlord) has not protected my deposit paid Summer 2017 for a 6 month tenancy. The tenancy is up in 2 weeks and I have been asked if I want to renew which I would like to do as I wish to stay in the property.

15-01-2018, 11:42 AM
                              • Reply to Deposit not Protected
                                theartfullodger
                                You are, in my opinion, better off with an unprotected deposit. No s21 eviction notice can be valid until they return deposit in full & you can sue for up to 3xdeposit penalty. So don;t ask for it to be protected. If they anyway protect it both of these are still true.

Do nothing....
                                16-01-2018, 09:17 AM
                              Working...
                              X