Disputing monies owed with no contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disputing monies owed with no contract

Hi i had difficulty paying my rent while renting a room and after a just over 1 1/2 months without paying mutually agreed with the landlord that i should move out and pay back all monies owed as soon as possible. There was no contract or rent book and i lived there for 10 months. I have taken a small loan out to pay off the debt but now she is asking for £250 more and damages that i disagree with. She is threatening me with small claims court and is harassing me at work. Can she take me to court? And what cn i do as i wish to settle my debt and go back to a normal life i just do not want to do it at a cost that i feel is unfair. Any advice would be great thank you

Did you pay your rent weekly? Did you pay a deposit? Had it been protected if so?

If you are unsure about what to do seek professional Legal advice.

Comment

I get the feeling this was a lodger arrangement. Could the OP please clarify if they were renting a room in a shared house, or renting a room with the owner?

Either way the LL needs to provide a statement showing what was owed each week and what was paid. The OP then needs to reconcile this with his own records.
      GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

It was a room in a shared house. There was no deposit and the rent was paid monthly up until the last 3 weeks which was worked into a weekly fee. She (LL) feels that money is owed for more rent that was actually paid and for the room being dirty when i moved out (which i went back and cleaned after having moved out) and having to wait a week to rent it back out due to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny8708 View Post
          It was a room in a shared house. There was no deposit and the rent was paid monthly up until the last 3 weeks which was worked into a weekly fee. She (LL) feels that money is owed for more rent that was actually paid and for the room being dirty when i moved out (which i went back and cleaned after having moved out) and having to wait a week to rent it back out due to this.
          Do you have any evidence of any kind for the rent payments you made? (e.g. receipts, bank statements).

How much rent do YOU think you owe, and how much money is she actually asking for? (For rent and for cleaning?)

Without a contract or rent book, I suspect she wouldn't get very far in court, so don't worry. She does not sound to have managed the tenancy very professionally and if she has any sense, she will realise it's not worth the hassle of trying to get more money out of you than is reasonable. the laywers on this forum will be able to advise you better as to exactly what she CAN expect from you but I have a feeling it will be less than she is demanding.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

No i have no receipts and the money was paid in cash directly to her. Not through any banks. I believe my debt was £623 in total she believes it is around £963 with cleaning. I have paid a £100 of this off without a receipt as she sent someone into my work place to get money from me. I have no receipt of any payment to her in the past ten months. No one else in the jouse as far as i now has ever had one either.

Comment

Get legal advice now!

Originally posted by Danny8708 View Post
              No i have no receipts and the money was paid in cash directly to her. Not through any banks. I believe my debt was £623 in total she believes it is around £963 with cleaning. I have paid a £100 of this off without a receipt as she sent someone into my work place to get money from me. I have no receipt of any payment to her in the past ten months. No one else in the jouse as far as i now has ever had one either.
              Danny, go get good legal advice right now, I think you have some good news to come.
              If you are lucky a legal expert from the forum might be interested in taking up your case.
              Good luck!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X