Rental accomodation in need of repairs

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Rental accomodation in need of repairs

    We have been living in this rented accomodation for over 2 years. Initially when we moved in and signed the tenancy agreement, it was noted that there were marks and a littl dampness in the main bedroom and stains in crapets in the toilet and kitchen. The wall papers in the toilet/wahrooms are falling off in some places.

    Also about a year ago, it was mentioned to the landlord ( through his repair man) that in all the rooms, and especially the bathroom, there was cold air coming in through the walls. Especially in winter the bathroom gets very cold. At that time, when no responce was given to our requests by the repairman, we did not pursue it. However, we have a baby born a few months ago and my wife is insisting that something should be done about it. Fixing these problems would be of benfit to him in the long term

    Is there a template letter that I could write to my landlord explaining the problems to him. Also if he is not responsive, can I take it further to my local council. We have jsut signed a 6 month contract with him

    Any help apppreciated


    Read my post.. Who's responsible, me or the landlord?

    We have had trouble getting our repairs done with our landlord, 4 months we waited for the shower to be fixed!
    Anyway, i rang the local council and spoke to the "housing conditions" dept, i think they are the same as Enviromental health, they told me that certain jobs that need doing are the rsponsiblity of the landlord, and they have i think, 28 days in which to get them done, if you write to your landlord outlining the repairs that need doing, and he doesn't respond, phone your local council, and tell them (keep a copy of the letter!) they should look into it, and in certain cases they can deem the porperty "unhabital" to live in, and they will give your landlord so many hours/days to get the work done, or they will fine them.
    Maybe someone on here with more expertise will give you more info, but i am only posting this to let you know what my local council told me, it is part of the "housing act" conditions, which landlords have to comply with.
    Hope this helps! Jane.


      No real template letter, just basically write asking/telling (depending the mood you are in ) them to fix by such and such date. I have to say though, I do not think you will have much luck, at least not with "forcing" a repair. Sounds to me that the property has been like this since you arrived, and as such I am not sure that the landlord has any obligation to repair. If the landlord does nothing, you could contact environmental health at your local council, but from the brief details I have heard, I do not believe they would do anything.

      A better approach would be to simply lay your cards on the table, and tell the landlord what you have told us. That due to the newborn the coldness etc is becoming an issue, and is it possible to do something about it. Point out that many councils will give grants now to get cavity wall insulation and other energy saving measures installed.

      Good luck.
      Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.


        saw this


          It is true that you have the right of offset(as described when saying deduct costs from your rent in that link). However, I do not believe that these issues justify it to be totally honest, especially as you basically moved into the property knowing about them. You could have to pay it back potentially if a landlord takes you to small claims.
          Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.


            Some misapprehensions exposed:
            1. If you take a property that's cold merely because of the way the property was built, or because of its age, then you are on thin ice ('scuse the pun!).
            2. The Landlord only has to keep the property in a good state of repair, not decoration, nor does he have to improve it.
            3. A landlord has no obligaiton to keep a property warm or to seal a draughty room.
            4. Only if the premises are defective (very subjective) would he have to rectify the matter and if he isn't aware of the cause then he cannot be cited under the Defective Premises Act 1972.
            The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


              Paul is right
              At the moment under the current legislation the landlord is under no obligation to improve the heating or thermal insulation of a property - however you may (if you are on various benefits) be entitled to a grant under the following scheme - yes even if you are a tenant.

              see link below:

              Talk to your landlord - they have to agree!! but the scheme can provide real improvements to your landlords property for free!!! (well subject to a few - not too onerous- conditions)

              Landlords who subscribe to this forum may be interested!! and encourage their tenants to apply!!!
              Whilst I hope you find the contents of this posting interesting and informative, the contents are without prejudice or liability and are for general information purposes only


              Latest Activity