X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
    ..or the unapostrophed "doesnt" and uncapitalised i in post #18!
    Yeah, there's an internet rule, the name of which escapes me - but it's closely related to Murphy's Law - which states that anyone who makes a forum post criticising somebody else's spelling or grammar will themselves commit a similar error within their own post.

Oops, stand by to be booted out to "Take a Break" ------->

Leave a comment:

• TenantsLuvMe
    replied
    ..and what is "ach" ??

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
    What, you mean like using "its" rather than "it's"?

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Originally posted by Sorrel View Post
    Did you mean postage here? I know its pretty obvious you did but I just thought I'd leap at the chance to correct a spelling mistake like is so often done to me
    What, you mean like using "its" rather than "it's"?

Leave a comment:

• SEB
    replied
    Originally posted by Wickerman
    Have you ever tried calling your local sorting office? Good luck!
    I was able to find my local sorting manager's direct number and found him to be both approachable and keen to deal with problems or issues affecting the post to us and previous tenants.

It was in a London location.
    I suppose it's a hit and miss affair (much like the post office in general)!

Leave a comment:

• Sorrel
    replied
    Guilty as charged, your Honour. This is why I'm not a secretary!
    That doesnt actually feel as good as i thought it would...ach well back to mispelling all my own posts in happy ignorance

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Guilty as charged, your Honour. This is why I'm not a secretary!

Leave a comment:

• Sorrel
    replied
    AND the whole of the UK's return-to-sender (or other undeliverable) psotage shedload is sent to Belfast for sorting and re-direction.
    There's time-and-motion efficiency for you.
    Did you mean postage here? I know its pretty obvious you did but I just thought I'd leap at the chance to correct a spelling mistake like is so often done to me

That is of course unless your referring to the imperfection on the 1956 Dutch 'Liberia' stamp which did say psotage instead of postage. Interestingly enough up for sale on ebay for $414, if you like that kind of thing.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Wickerman
    Have you ever tried calling your local sorting office? Good luck!
    Most are not accessible by direct telephone, just as with Bank branches. One is shunted to a central call-handling operation in who-knows-where, from which it is difficult (but surely not impossible) to contact the sorting office itself.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by toorisky
    Nah .... if you had a bad time with them, you've all got it wrong (AND being far too nice in the process). Open the mail and see what the bastards have been up to. What if it's from debt collectors? Open it, take the necessary action ( put the hounds on them ), deny all knowledge of it and if needed, say that the mail was addressed to "The Occupier". Stop piss farting around and making un-necessary trips to the postbox for those who don't deserve it.
    The ethical approach - at last!

Leave a comment:

• agent46
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    Crikey. They seem to have got it all sewn up, then.
    Yes, rather like the mailbags the offender will no doubt become acquainted with in the prison workshop.....

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    AND the whole of the UK's return-to-sender (or other undeliverable) psotage shedload is sent to Belfast for sorting and re-direction.
    Yep. And some of them will never get delivered, because the addresses are only comprehensible if read aloud. Like this one:

The Abbamaster,
    Arijaba,
    England.

(The Harbourmaster, Harwich Harbour, England).

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Crikey. They seem to have got it all sewn up, then.

(But they still end up with shedloads of undelivered mail!)

Leave a comment:

• SEB
    replied
    Originally posted by Jolanta Nowak View Post
    Am I right in thinking that a landlord is under no legal obligation whatsoever to forward or, for that matter, deal in any way with mail still arriving for a former tenant?

My instinctive reaction is to bin it or to advise the current tenant to do likewise.
    Depends on your relationship with your past tenant.
    If it was a nice, one, you can speak to them before they leave and ask them what to do if any mail comes through that looks like mail they may want, i.e. not junk mail.

If your relationship was not a good one, you haven't discussed the question of mail with them and the tenant clearly hasn't arranged for any redirection with the Royal Mail, I would do as others have suggested;

Print up a load of sticky labels saying "Not at this address" and "Return to Sender" and pop it in the mail box.
    You could (as I have done) also inform your local sorting office manager of the situation and who may be able to intercept mail coming to the property address as its a waste of time for them sorting out the departing tenants mail only for it to make a round trip back to them.

Although you can do this also for junk mail too, sadly the problem takes a lot longer to resolve and I still get junk mail arriving for tenants who left years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Because it's a palaver. And s/he might not owe the previous tenant any favours!
    Yep... and from my experience I'm sure that very often the outgoing tenant doesn't care about mail from a particular source, and take no action when it gets kindly forwarded by the new tenant or ex landlord. So it just keeps on coming unless it's posted back as 'return to sender'.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X