Must landlord forward ex-tenant's post?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must landlord forward ex-tenant's post?

Am I right in thinking that a landlord is under no legal obligation whatsoever to forward or, for that matter, deal in any way with mail still arriving for a former tenant?

My instinctive reaction is to bin it or to advise the current tenant to do likewise.

Write 'Not At This Address' and put it back in the post box. However if you have a forwarding address why not forward it - unless it's clearly junk?

Comment

Originally posted by Kathryn View Post
      Write 'Not At This Address' and put it back in the post box. However if you have a forwarding address why not forward it - unless it's clearly junk?
      Because it's a palaver. And s/he might not owe the previous tenant any favours!
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

The Postal Services Act 2000 S84 makes it an offence to interfer with the mail - by delaying it, opening it (if you know or reasonably suspect it has been incorrectly delivered), dumping it or stealing it.

The penalty upon summary conviction is a fine not exceeding £5000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both.

I print a load of labels "Please return to sender. Addressee no longer at this address / new address unknown" and pop it all back in the post.

Comment

Originally posted by sam_ldn View Post
          The Postal Services Act 2000 S84 makes it an offence to interfer with the mail - by delaying it, opening it (if you know or reasonably suspect it has been incorrectly delivered), dumping it or stealing it.
          The penalty upon summary conviction is a fine not exceeding £5000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both.
          I was told that only applied to mail BEFORE it had been delivered, it while it was still in the possession of Royal Mail.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

S83 concerns interfering with the mail by postal operators; while S84 deals with interference by others.

-----------------

On another site (http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=369352), The Citizens Advice Bureau dealt with a similar question (all the following is a cut & paste, nothing added / nothing taken away):

When someone leaves a house, what is the law about passing on correspondence to them? Are you allowed to open it to find out what it is? Or do you have to pass it on?

Answer
            The law on this issue is clear, as it has recently been confirmed in the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000.

Quite simply, it is an offence to open, destroy, hide or delay any post that is addressed to someone else. Post cannot be opened if it is to the addressee's detriment and without reasonable excuse. Reasonable excuse is not defined by the Act. This means your explanation for withholding post may not stand up in court.

An example of a potential conflict is if a landlord opens a previous tenant's post in order to trace them. Post cannot be opened if someone knows or reasonably suspects the post has been incorrectly delivered. In addition, any post or post bag that is found in a public place must be returned to a post office without being opened.

It is also an offence to divert someone's post in order to intentionally delay them from receiving it. An example of this could be where a person re-posts documents or cheques to delay the addressee from acting upon them.

In addition to this, if you receive someone else's post by mistake, you should contact Royal Mail's customer services department. The mistake can be reported to the appropriate delivery office. The post itself can be delivered by hand to the correct address, re-posted in a post box or handed to a postal worker.

Question answered by CAB

Comment

Crikey. They seem to have got it all sewn up, then.

(But they still end up with shedloads of undelivered mail!)

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                Because it's a palaver. And s/he might not owe the previous tenant any favours!
                Yep... and from my experience I'm sure that very often the outgoing tenant doesn't care about mail from a particular source, and take no action when it gets kindly forwarded by the new tenant or ex landlord. So it just keeps on coming unless it's posted back as 'return to sender'.

Comment

Originally posted by Jolanta Nowak View Post
                  Am I right in thinking that a landlord is under no legal obligation whatsoever to forward or, for that matter, deal in any way with mail still arriving for a former tenant?

My instinctive reaction is to bin it or to advise the current tenant to do likewise.
                  Depends on your relationship with your past tenant.
                  If it was a nice, one, you can speak to them before they leave and ask them what to do if any mail comes through that looks like mail they may want, i.e. not junk mail.

If your relationship was not a good one, you haven't discussed the question of mail with them and the tenant clearly hasn't arranged for any redirection with the Royal Mail, I would do as others have suggested;

Print up a load of sticky labels saying "Not at this address" and "Return to Sender" and pop it in the mail box.
                  You could (as I have done) also inform your local sorting office manager of the situation and who may be able to intercept mail coming to the property address as its a waste of time for them sorting out the departing tenants mail only for it to make a round trip back to them.

Although you can do this also for junk mail too, sadly the problem takes a lot longer to resolve and I still get junk mail arriving for tenants who left years ago.

Comment

(But they still end up with shedloads of undelivered mail!)
                    AND the whole of the UK's return-to-sender (or other undeliverable) psotage shedload is sent to Belfast for sorting and re-direction.
                    There's time-and-motion efficiency for you.
                    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                      AND the whole of the UK's return-to-sender (or other undeliverable) psotage shedload is sent to Belfast for sorting and re-direction.
                      Yep. And some of them will never get delivered, because the addresses are only comprehensible if read aloud. Like this one:

The Abbamaster,
                      Arijaba,
                      England.

(The Harbourmaster, Harwich Harbour, England).

Comment

Yes, rather like the mailbags the offender will no doubt become acquainted with in the prison workshop.....
                        Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

Originally posted by toorisky
                          Nah .... if you had a bad time with them, you've all got it wrong (AND being far too nice in the process). Open the mail and see what the bastards have been up to. What if it's from debt collectors? Open it, take the necessary action ( put the hounds on them ), deny all knowledge of it and if needed, say that the mail was addressed to "The Occupier". Stop piss farting around and making un-necessary trips to the postbox for those who don't deserve it.
                          The ethical approach - at last!

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman
                            Have you ever tried calling your local sorting office? Good luck!
                            Most are not accessible by direct telephone, just as with Bank branches. One is shunted to a central call-handling operation in who-knows-where, from which it is difficult (but surely not impossible) to contact the sorting office itself.
                            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                              Did you mean postage here? I know its pretty obvious you did but I just thought I'd leap at the chance to correct a spelling mistake like is so often done to me

That is of course unless your referring to the imperfection on the 1956 Dutch 'Liberia' stamp which did say psotage instead of postage. Interestingly enough up for sale on ebay for $414, if you like that kind of thing.
                              My views and posts are based on my opinion and any advice given is just that, advice. If you decide to act on any advice given it is with the full knowledge that I am not perfect and anything I say could be wrong!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to My legal rights about an Inspection
                                by doobrey
                                I think the main cause of the problem here is whoever is insisting that tenant cannot be in the property at the same time as the surveyor (or indeed "surveyor").

I have used various tradesmen during the pandemic and nobody has suggested that residents of the property should vacate....
                                04-12-2021, 17:21 PM
                              • My legal rights about an Inspection
                                by thegypsyking
                                Hi all, I am a tenant who s on a Assured Shorthold Tenancy. The agreement is for 6 months, i have already made an upfront payment for 6 months. Its been couple of months since i moved. My landlord wants to inspect to the flat next week by surveyors, but without me being involved. He wrote me that due...
                                03-12-2021, 23:53 PM
                                by bobthebuilder2
                                your landlord wants to "inspect", but its actually an estate agent surveyor who will be there for 3 hours ? careful, sounds like the landlord might be gearing up to sell it.
                                usually an inspection is a 10min walk around checking on how you are keeping it, if smoke alarms work and if anything...
                                04-12-2021, 17:16 PM
                              • Reply to Advice request: T claiming for broken door
                                by DPT57
                                I should think that this has been resolved now as it was over 7 months ago....
                                04-12-2021, 17:11 PM
                              • Advice request: T claiming for broken door
                                by Jdhanna6
                                Morning All
                                Would appreciate your wisdom on an issue with a tenant. He is generally a good T but has just asked me to cover the costs of an emergency locksmith he called on a Sunday evening. The charge is ridiculous (nearly 300 quid). A door handle on a bedroom broke, trapping him inside (there...
                                26-04-2021, 08:48 AM
                              • Reply to help please...
                                by DPT57
                                You might also ask for a copy of their original references unless you have the report already....
                                04-12-2021, 17:06 PM
                              • help please...
                                by john19
                                Hi all,

I have an estate agent collecting rent for me on a few properties (there not doing anything else, the tenants call me direct with any issues) and i am about to take this on myself to save the fees, the estate agents have agreed to this and have agreed to redo the tenancy agreement...
                                04-12-2021, 09:58 AM
                              • Reply to Advice request: T claiming for broken door
                                by alice123
                                A locksmith wont get out of bed for less than 100 pounds and if it was a Sunday evening even higher,

As this tenant has been a good tenant I would just pay up but make sure you get the receipt from the locksmith, as it may cause some friction between your good tenant and yourself , i assume...
                                04-12-2021, 17:04 PM
                                by DPT57
                                My point really is that approaching this from a rightsist standpoint is likely to escalate the tension. I agree that 3 hours would be unreasonable, but its not going to take that. I'd be amazed if it was more than about 20 minutes. The landlord sounds like a bit of an arse, but it also sounds like he's...
                                04-12-2021, 17:00 PM
                                by theartfullodger
                                Exactly, quite. Impasse, sounds like both parties won't agree.

I merely ask... will you ever need a reference from landlord?

Good luck
                                04-12-2021, 16:49 PM
                              Working...
                              X