Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• justaboutsane
    replied
    Was there an inventory at the start? Fair wear and tear has to be taken into consideration if there was and if not he will struggle to make deductions, especially as the place is being demolished so does not really matter what it looks like now!

Re the satellite dish.. did he give you permission to have one? But again if its about to be demolished whats the point!

Just sounds like he is trying to keep your money.

Leave a comment:

• CarlineQuandry
    started a topic Landlord being difficult over deposit

Landlord being difficult over deposit

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me...

For the last 5 years I have lived in rented accommodation - the Landlord decided to sell last year to a Development company who are going to knock down the house and add new ones. This is fine as we were ready to move on but now the Landlord is becoming difficult with refunding our deposit.

We had nearly finished clearing everything out of the house when he stopped by the other day to check and he became very picky about the most ridiculous things! For instance, we had a satelitte dish put up and he says it now has to come down as it wasn't there when we took it. He also wants the house cleaned from top to bottom and has said it isn't good enough, even though it is to the same standard as when we moved in.

The house goes into the contractors hands by the end of next month so there will not be anyone else moving into the house.

I looked into the Tenancy Deposit Scheme and Act but unfortunately our deposit was given in 2003 and as far as I am aware if we get into anymore difficulty that is one avenue we cannot go down as our contract has already ended and began before 2007.

I am pretty certain that when he arrives for an inspection for the second time things will not be up to his standard once again.

We have been more than fair tenants, putting up with a small gas leak that cost us a fortune in the gas bill, a cooker not being replaced for two months and rising damp in one of the bedrooms.

Is there anything that you can suggest for this problem?

Thank you

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent arrears
    by jpkeates
    A tenant who doesn't communicate well about arrears wouldn't be unusual.

In normal times I would suggest serving notice and use MCOL for the arrears.
    But with six month's notice and a huge court backlog, that's less appropriate.
    The risk of the tenant either stopping paying...
    23-09-2020, 10:01 AM
  • Rent arrears
    by MP31
    Hi

I have a tenant who got in arrears in the end of 2019 by 1.5 months because of work then continued to pay full rent until Covid. He couldn't work and was unfortunate to not get furlough or any government scheme other that UC so we arranged a reduced for 4 months. Now he is behind further...
    22-09-2020, 19:58 PM
  • Reply to Direct Debit vs Standing Order
    by boletus
    It's just one of many, many things that come up during a natural conversation with a prospective tenant. E.g "How are you paying the rent?"

DD & SO are often used interchangeably. I've lost count of the amount of times I've explained it. A tenant knowing the difference wouldn't...
    23-09-2020, 10:00 AM
  • Direct Debit vs Standing Order
    by danwestgarth
    Has anyone any experience in collecting rent from tenants using Direct Debit opposed to Standing Order? From what i understand, with Direct Debit the payee (landlord) is in control, rather than the payor (tenant). JCould be a good way to minimize missed payments during covid-19. Does anyone know of...
    22-09-2020, 15:44 PM
  • Reply to Rent arrears
    by Perce
    Those who are not paying anything are doing it deliberately or cannot be bothered to make arrangements. Where do they get money to eat, pay bills, pay council tax, pay for mobile phones, pay for petrol like my tenant ? The government provides a lot of support with rent. I have just looked in my area...
    23-09-2020, 09:59 AM
  • Reply to Rent arrears
    by Hudson01
    This speaks volumes in my opinion....... he could simply be playing for time, get rid asap....
    23-09-2020, 09:31 AM
  • Reply to Rent arrears
    by jpkeates
    Assuming the tenant really doesn't have any money, suing them for it is unlikely to do any good.

If you serve notice, the tenant may simply stop paying rent - as they might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb, and you've already shown that you intend to evict them.

I would...
    23-09-2020, 09:02 AM
  • Reply to Direct Debit vs Standing Order
    by ChrisDennison
    I still don’t understand how he would be arguing about it if he accepts you wanting to set rent payments up by direct debit rather than by standing order...? Or if he accepts you wanting to set up a standing order rather than a direct debit? ​​​​​​

Or how there is a red flag...
    23-09-2020, 08:53 AM
  • Reply to Do you regularly (or at all) increase rent for existing tenants?
    by tatemono
    the philosophy of being nice is not posited on it being reciprocated. In fact, historically some have argued cogently that it would cease to be such a philosophy if that were the case.

But I digress.

I disagree that the "Christmas bonus" idea is a better policy. In...
    23-09-2020, 08:48 AM
  • Do you regularly (or at all) increase rent for existing tenants?
    by ChrisDennison
    I would like to gauge your experience on this - in all my properties I have never increased rent in an existing tenancy, regardless of how long the tenant stays. Am I stupid or normal or somewhere in between?

I’m of course happy to adjust to market rent whenever a tenant moves out and...
    19-09-2020, 19:00 PM
Working...
X