Tenant leaving due to harrassment from neighbour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant leaving due to harrassment from neighbour

My tenant has decided to leave due to harrassment from a neighbour. My concern is that if I manage to relet, the same will happen again. Apparently my tenant is making noise when not even at home! How should I handle this?

Originally posted by moi View Post
    My tenant has decided to leave due to harrassment from a neighbour. My concern is that if I manage to relet, the same will happen again. Apparently my tenant is making noise when not even at home! How should I handle this?
    1. Are these properties flats or houses?
    2. If flats, you are probably a long-leaseholder; and neighbouring flat (owned by the noisy neighbour or- if it's sublet- then owned by his landlord) is leasehold too.
    3. Check your lease. Does lessor [party who granted it] give a covenant to enforce covenants against an offending lessee at the request/cost of a complaining lessee? If so, complain!
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Yes they are flats.

My tenant only been there for a few months and other tenant who is harrassing has been there 20 years or so. Both are long leasehold but the complaining tenant lives in her flat herself. She is complaining about everyday noise which cannot be avoided, e.g. lawn mowers, television. The sound proofing is excellent! My tenant feels so harrassed she is leaving. I am concerned this harrassment may continue with any new tenant I get. It appears that she is complaining for complaining sake!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X