X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TenantsLuvMe
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul_f View Post
    Not so! You would need to check if the tenant were to contribute towards the preparation fo inventory costs.
    True, as always check what documents say, preferably before signing them.

However, it is not usual practice for the tenant to contribute to the costs of an inventory, which is the landlord's record of his property's condition and its contents.

Leave a comment:

• PaulF
    replied
    Originally posted by TenantsLuvMe View Post
    Just to be clear, you should not be paying anything for the creation of the inventory - that is the LL's responsibility.
    Not so! You would need to check if the tenant were to contribute towards the preparation fo inventory costs.

Leave a comment:

• TenantsLuvMe
    replied
    Originally posted by Warrior06 View Post
    Many thanks. I have got one last point then, I have paid 150 pounds to the agency when I moved into the flat a year ago as "inventory fee".

If the inventory is not conducted, can I claim this back then? FYI they did do the inventory check when I moved in a year ago so that would only be on the basis that they have not done the end-of-tenancy-agreement inventory.

Thank you

Your tenancy agreement should specify what you are responsible for regarding inventory fees/charges. A good contract should tell you the limit of your costs (i.e. the check-out will not be more than x pounds).

It is quite common for the inventory check-ins & check-outs to be shared between landlord and tenant, with the LL usually paying for the check-in and the tenant paying for the check-out, which is usually taken from the tenant's deposit (if funds allow).
    However, 150 pounds for a check-in seems a bit high unless it is a large and/or heavily furnished property or the property and the inventory clerk or letting agent is based in the centre of London.

Just to be clear, you should not be paying anything for the creation of the inventory - that is the LL's responsibility.

Leave a comment:

• Warrior06
    replied
    Many thanks. I have got one last point then, I have paid 150 pounds to the agency when I moved into the flat a year ago as "inventory fee".

If the inventory is not conducted, can I claim this back then? FYI they did do the inventory check when I moved in a year ago so that would only be on the basis that they have not done the end-of-tenancy-agreement inventory.

Thank you

Leave a comment:

• TenantsLuvMe
    replied
    For timing, I would ask the Association of Independent Inventory Clerks (AIIC) http://www.theaiic.co.uk

but it would seem to me that if the check out is not conducted on your vacating the premises, then each day that this is not carried out makes it less likely that the agent can refer to any checkout as a valid assessment of the property.

In addition, if this were to go to arbitration or court, the question would arise as to why the letting agent did not conduct a check out when you left.
    Letting agents, like many pseudo professions, rely on "front" and tenant inertia/fear to behave the way they do and they don't count on tenants pursuing their rights.

Don't let this shabby agent get away with such antics and demand, in writing, your full deposit back within 5 working days, or else you will take all and any legal steps to recover what is due to you.
    Inform them that as they did not conduct a check out on your departure (and that they had the opportunity to do so) and that builders have since entered the property, the condition of the property when you left cannot be properly assessed.

I sincerely doubt that the agent will be able to withhold any money from your deposit or provide any valid reason for doing so.

Leave a comment:

• Warrior06
    replied
    OK, what about from a timing point of view?

Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• PaulF
    replied
    The inventory check-out should have been conducted before any builders went in so you would be entitled to ask for your deposit back on that basis.

Leave a comment:

• Warrior06
    started a topic Inventory: Timing

Inventory: Timing

Hi,

I have left a flat on Tuesday last week and I requested the inventory to be processed on the day I leave. However, I have been asked to leave the keys in the flat and the agency told me that the inventory would be done shortly.

First of all, this is not normal right? To me, the inventory should have been done when I left the flat?

Now, not only I heard that some builders came on Wednesday last week to start working on fixing some problems with the walls (implying dust etc) but a week after the inventory has still not happened although I have been chasing the agency (which is not responding).

So, does it still make sense to do the inventory or shall I request my deposit back to me now? From a legal point of view, what are my rights?

Thank you very much

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X