Shared water meter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shared water meter?

Guys I have a fairly straight forward question. Is it legal for a landlord to have a shared water meter split across 11 flats that he then splits the bill each month equally? I would think not but just in case I thought I would ask.

Is that really much different to not having a water meter and splitting the bill?
    I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Why would I be splitting the bill? It's 11 seperate apartments each of which should have there own meter meaning I only pay for what I use so if I go away for a month my bill is alot less.... am I not getting how this works?

Comment

Pay again

Originally posted by Loki117 View Post
        Is it legal for a landlord to have a shared water meter split across 11 flats that he then splits the bill each month equally?
        It seems that are you are not getting the answers that you want, so you have started another thead on the same item.

I refer you to your same quesation at :-
        http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=12892 and my reply is there.

It is not illegal to have one water pipe going into a building, and dividing the cost between flats.

It MAY be bad practice according to the water board, that they are supplying what they think of as one residence and only giving one standard charge, when they could increase their revenue by 11. They are not getting 11 times the revenue, so do you want to risk of paying the full amount possibly your rates going up 12 times what it is now ( Less with a water meter ).

Are you going to dispute the garden maitenence charges saying you don't use the garden. or you don't want to pay for the hallway / outside lights because you have your own torch ?

You say "am I not getting how this works" --- It's easy, one water pipe, one bill, divided by 12. ---- which is probably 50% cheaper ( divided by 12 ) than having 12 water pipes and 12 standard charges ( less for a meter ):
        Service charge is all costs, insurance, repairs to building etc - divided by 12.

You dont say how much a 12 month water bill is ! so how can we all assertain if it's too dear.

You are leaving the country in 89 days ...... just pay the bill and leave ( refer to my answer at http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...6352#post86352

R-a-M

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
          It seems that are you are not getting the answers that you want, so you have started another thead on the same item.

It is not illegal to have one water pipe going into a building, and dividing the cost between flats.

It MAY be bad practice according to the water board, that they are supplying what they think of as one residence and only giving one standard charge, when they could increase their revenue by 11. They are not getting 11 times the revenue, so do you want to risk of paying the full amount possibly your rates going up 12 times what it is now ( Less with a water meter ).

Are you going to dispute the garden maitenence charges saying you don't use the garden. or you don't want to pay for the hallway / outside lights because you have your own torch ?

You say "am I not getting how this works" --- It's easy, one water pipe, one bill, divided by 12. ---- which is probably 50% cheaper ( divided by 12 ) than having 12 water pipes and 12 standard charges ( less for a meter ):
          Service charge is all costs, insurance, repairs to building etc - divided by 12.

You dont say how much a 12 month water bill is ! so how can we all assertain if it's too dear.

You are leaving the country in 89 days ...... just pay the bill and leave ( refer to my answer at http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...6352#post86352

R-a-M
          Sorry Ram it was not intentional to double post I didnt see any reply on yesterdays question so thought I would strip the important part out and ask that instead as the rest of the info may have been confusing things! Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post

R-a-M
            Ram I just read your response why would it be "easy" one METERED water bill so I am concientious about my water usage but next door take 3 baths a day the water meeter does a loop around the clock and I still have to pay half of it because it is split across two addresses? How can that be fair?

"You are leaving the country in 89 days ...... just pay the bill and leave " - Why would I continue to fund an unscrupulos landlord? I read the small print it says I am liable for water charges to my residence it did not however say that I would be paying other peoples usage which a 12 way split is!

I didnt have a garden and the maintenance fee is paid by the landlord I sorted that out before moving in.

Why would I tell you how much the bill is? I am not looking to find out if it is a fair bill I am looking to find out if the practice of splitting a metered bill between 12 apartments is legal.

Comment

This looks to me like a classic case of looking the gift horse in the mouth!!!

The landlord has taken the obviously easiest and potentially fairest method of taking the whole bill and dividing it equally among the tenants.

The point has been made that ifyou have your own separate water meter, you would have your own standing charge to pay. Also, logistically it might not be possible to put 12 water meters in the premises.

As long as someone is not wantonly wasting water, then the landlords method would seem to be the most practical way of apportioning the bill between the 12 tenants - how else would you do it????

There are lots of premises where the electric meter or the gas meter covers more than one tenant and the cost is shared!!!

The HMO regulations are silent on the legality and unless having one meter for 12 ocupancies is specifically disaloowed somewhere in legislation, then its legal!

Comment

Originally posted by davidjohnbutton View Post
                This looks to me like a classic case of looking the gift horse in the mouth!!!

The landlord has taken the obviously easiest and potentially fairest method of taking the whole bill and dividing it equally among the tenants.

The point has been made that ifyou have your own separate water meter, you would have your own standing charge to pay. Also, logistically it might not be possible to put 12 water meters in the premises.

As long as someone is not wantonly wasting water, then the landlords method would seem to be the most practical way of apportioning the bill between the 12 tenants - how else would you do it????

There are lots of premises where the electric meter or the gas meter covers more than one tenant and the cost is shared!!!

The HMO regulations are silent on the legality and unless having one meter for 12 ocupancies is specifically disaloowed somewhere in legislation, then its legal!
                Guys why do you seem to angry about this? I

am trying to assertain what is legal and what is not I now know it is legal to do what has been done... thats fine. My concern was a ligitimate one that people could end up paying for more than they use so a meter per apartment would have been the fair option but if having one meter for 12 apartment is legal then I have no argument with it I shall pay the bill.

A bill stradling more than one tenant is fairer than a bill stradling more than one apartment because as a shared tenant you chose to "share" your living quaters and to some extent have an eye to what is being used by your fellow tenant. I had a seperate apartment and so could safely assume my utilities and bills where for me. What woukd have happened if someone ran the water all day and all night all the month? Hardly seems like a fair solution but by the sounds of one it's a legal solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Loki117 View Post
                  Guys why do you seem to angry about this?
                  So now we all see the need to give as much info, in as small a space as possible when asking questions, then the replies can be more accurate.

The reasons why some of us may seem angry, is far too many "Tenants" want --everything, and your posts were looking that way, and apologies for us thinking that way, but at least --I-- tried to throw in some scenarios to help you decide whether to persue the water issue, or let it go due to your time limit to resolve a court case / cost to you.

But in your case, i would probably have done the same, but detailed more info, which we now know you left out, so as not to make your questions too long.

Years ago I would be paying the same rates as a family of 6 next door, unfair, but some things are unfair. I have to road tax my 3 cars, but i can only drive one at any one time, one i may not use for 28 days, but that's life.

All you can do, is say "In your opinion" the landlord does x y z and you can only come to one conclusion "In your opinion", is to cut the Landlords cost to rock bottom, for his own gain. ( Keep it short and sweet, as it is only a "Oh by the way, Judge", he does this and this to save costs, as the judge is concerned only with the rights and wrongs in law )

If it is "In your opinion" in writing, then you are safe to say it.
                  In a court room, you can accuse the Landlord of anything you want, and you wont be sued for it afterwards....

R-a-M

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X