Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unlicensed HMO; building work inconvenience to tenants

Hi all,

I'm enquiring here as to the rights of myself and my other tennents in our house. We are coming to the end of our term in the house, and we are looking for compensation for several months of building works in the house, which resulted in the loss of amenities, and for one, the loss of a room. We are also looking for a finders fee, which has been promised to us, as we have located the next group of tennants to live there the day after we move out. - This gets extra complicated below).

The six of us live in an HMO, however our landlord doesn't have a licence, and consequently there are only four signitures on our lease - a lease which ran out over a year ago with no stipulation that it continues the following year. One of these signitures also represents a person who moved out of the house after the first year.

As far as the finders fee goes - we've done some research at agencies and found the average finders fee to be worth around 8% of the yearly rent - the reason we went out and found people was at their asking - with the promise of a finders fee agreed, however no specifics were given as to the amount. However - our landlord could not go to an agency as they lack the HMO licence, so the fact that we have found tennants without any loss of rent surely must be worth rewarding.

The reason all of this is an issue is because the building work took place in our house in 2007 and our landlord, despite our enquieries, has only pushed back on any specifics involved with the finders fee and the refunds in rent from the building period. This put on top of the fact that they clearly want to cut corners in order to save money as left us with a large doubt that if left to their own devices - we wouldn't see any of that money which we feel we deserve.

Is there anything we can do in order to get what we want - are we legally allowed to without money from the last rent (which is covered by our deposit - a deposit which the lease stipulates covers rent issues, on a lease that stipulates that it ran out a year ago) in order to gain leverage for our money? What's your advice about how best to proceed.

Thanks for your help

Originally posted by Tennant404 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm enquiring here as to the rights of myself and my other tennents in our house. We are coming to the end of our term in the house, and we are looking for compensation for several months of building works in the house, which resulted in the loss of amenities, and for one, the loss of a room. We are also looking for a finders fee, which has been promised to us, as we have located the next group of tennants to live there the day after we move out. - This gets extra complicated below).

The six of us live in an HMO, however our landlord doesn't have a licence, and consequently there are only four signitures on our lease - a lease which ran out over a year ago with no stipulation that it continues the following year. One of these signitures also represents a person who moved out of the house after the first year.

As far as the finders fee goes - we've done some research at agencies and found the average finders fee to be worth around 8% of the yearly rent - the reason we went out and found people was at their asking - with the promise of a finders fee agreed, however no specifics were given as to the amount. However - our landlord could not go to an agency as they lack the HMO licence, so the fact that we have found tennants without any loss of rent surely must be worth rewarding.

The reason all of this is an issue is because the building work took place in our house in 2007 and our landlord, despite our enquieries, has only pushed back on any specifics involved with the finders fee and the refunds in rent from the building period. This put on top of the fact that they clearly want to cut corners in order to save money as left us with a large doubt that if left to their own devices - we wouldn't see any of that money which we feel we deserve.

Is there anything we can do in order to get what we want - are we legally allowed to without money from the last rent (which is covered by our deposit - a deposit which the lease stipulates covers rent issues, on a lease that stipulates that it ran out a year ago) in order to gain leverage for our money? What's your advice about how best to proceed.

Thanks for your help
    If landlord required a HMO licence(i.e. he had more than five tennants) he is obliged to display in the house where everybody can see it. If he does not have one then you can claim all rents paid. But make sure he doesn't have a licence. He is also supposed to give copies of Electricity and Gas Certificates to each and every tennant.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X