Must landlord provide telephone line/service to tenant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by oryosha View Post
    SEB, as I mentioned, we know that they are not required to supply the phone line. What we want to know is whether they were required to TELL us that it wasn't supplied before we payed the admin fee to apply to let. This information would have likely impacted our decision to take this property, or at least would have prompted us to try to negotiate.
    No. L must tell truth if asked, but need not volunteer information unless there is a legal duty to do so.

Leave a comment:

• oryosha
    replied
    Originally posted by SEB View Post
    There is no obligation for the LL to provide a telephone line, working or not.
    A telephone line is not specified as one of the services requried by the LL to provide.
    If you check the LTA, you will see the extent of the LL's obligations.

If a previous occupant had a line installed in a property and a potential tenant sees a phone socket or enquires about a phone line during a viewing etc., then the LL or agent can enlghten them as to the situation.
    Otherwise, treat a phone line like cable/satellite TV service.
    SEB, as I mentioned, we know that they are not required to supply the phone line. What we want to know is whether they were required to TELL us that it wasn't supplied before we payed the admin fee to apply to let. This information would have likely impacted our decision to take this property, or at least would have prompted us to try to negotiate.

Leave a comment:

• ah84
    replied
    Yes I would have thought that unless the lease specifies that landlord will provide a telephone line then they dont have to.

Leave a comment:

• SEB
    replied
    Originally posted by oryosha View Post
    I have a related question:

Yesterday, we agreed to rent a property and paid the non-refundable fee to the agent. Today, we called BT to arrange transfer of our telephone service, and were told that there is no BT line in our new house and so we'd have to pay £124.95 to have the line installed. We called the agent, who said it's nothing to do with them, but obliged us by calling the landlady; she confirmed that there had been a BT line up until a year ago when a previous tenant switched to another company.

We know that the landlady is not obliged to provide a BT line, but was she and/or the agent legally obliged to tell us that there wasn't one so that we could reasonably plan for the expense? Also, if we proceed to pay this fee (I don't see how we can't), can we expect at least partial compensation since it really is an improvement to the property?

Thanks so much for any advice.

There is no obligation for the LL to provide a telephone line, working or not.
    A telephone line is not specified as one of the services requried by the LL to provide.
    If you check the LTA, you will see the extent of the LL's obligations.

If a previous occupant had a line installed in a property and a potential tenant sees a phone socket or enquires about a phone line during a viewing etc., then the LL or agent can enlghten them as to the situation.
    Otherwise, treat a phone line like cable/satellite TV service.

Leave a comment:

• oryosha
    replied
    I have a related question:

Yesterday, we agreed to rent a property and paid the non-refundable fee to the agent. Today, we called BT to arrange transfer of our telephone service, and were told that there is no BT line in our new house and so we'd have to pay £124.95 to have the line installed. We called the agent, who said it's nothing to do with them, but obliged us by calling the landlady; she confirmed that there had been a BT line up until a year ago when a previous tenant switched to another company.

We know that the landlady is not obliged to provide a BT line, but was she and/or the agent legally obliged to tell us that there wasn't one so that we could reasonably plan for the expense? Also, if we proceed to pay this fee (I don't see how we can't), can we expect at least partial compensation since it really is an improvement to the property?

Thanks so much for any advice.

Leave a comment:

• P.Pilcher
    replied
    It is because of that. BT are well known to have difficulty in transferring contracts between landlord and tenant at the start of a tenancy and then back to the landlord at its end - unlike the utility companies. I always ensure that my tenants end their contract with BT or any other telephone provider when they terminate their tenancies for this reason. The new tenant can then carry out his own negociations with BT or whoever for the restoration of the services they want from the telephone line.

P.P.

Leave a comment:

• Loki117
    replied
    Jeffry how is this true that the landlord doesnt have to provide a working telephone line?

In my AST it states the telephone as a utility and as such I am responsible for paying any outstanding debts on that line from my tenancy start date to my tenancy end date regardless of the fact if my name is on the bill or not. I was really surprised to find that out from my agent but is it only because it is in my contract?

Tom

Leave a comment:

• Pelican eats pigeon
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
    Yes. BT at least reconnects free if there is an existing line previously disconnected (as long as no arrears b/f!)
    I actually think they try to charge for it now in some circumstances (since last year), but we had a very strange situation with crossed wires somewhere as well. It's a long story, but in the end we persuaded them to sort it out for free.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Pelican eats pigeon View Post
    If the telephone line is just switched off at the exchange (don't know the technical term), she may be able to persuade them to reconnect it for free.
    Yes. BT at least reconnects free if there is an existing line previously disconnected (as long as no arrears b/f!)

Leave a comment:

• P.Pilcher
    replied
    I beg to differ slightly from Jeffrey: If, on viewing, the potential tenant saw a telephone socket on the wall, he could have assumed that a telephone line was connected to it and negociated on that basis. It would have been reasonable for him to pay a "reconnection fee" but IMHO the original (humungous) charge to initially install the line should be the responsibility of the landlord. This should of course be a "one off" charge which is normally paid on new houses. Of course, if you wish to srictly stick to the letter of the law, Jeffrey is perfectly correct, but there may be a little more to it.

P.P.

Leave a comment:

• Pelican eats pigeon
    replied
    If the telephone line is just switched off at the exchange (don't know the technical term), she may be able to persuade them to reconnect it for free - it takes a lot of arguing though.

If there is no line at all in the property, that's her problem as well.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by TenantsLuvMe View Post
    There is no way that a landlord is obliged to provide a telephone line, internet, sky TV etc.

As a landlord, I think you are limited to providing gas/electricity/oil for heating/cooking/water heating and a water supply.
    I agree. See s.11 of LTA 1985.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by milliesdad View Post
    We have recently moved house and transferred our telephone account to our new house. We have kept the old house and are renting it out (our first step in to Landlord and Tenant) and the tenant is claiming we are obliged to provide a working telephone line for her.......she has been quoted £106 to connect and set up a new account.

Is she right ?

Many thanks
    Is a working telephone line specified in the inventory?

Leave a comment:

• TenantsLuvMe
    replied
    Originally posted by milliesdad View Post
    We have recently moved house and transferred our telephone account to our new house. We have kept the old house and are renting it out (our first step in to Landlord and Tenant) and the tenant is claiming we are obliged to provide a working telephone line for her.......she has been quoted £106 to connect and set up a new account.

Is she right ?

Many thanks
    There is no way that a landlord is obliged to provide a telephone line, internet, sky TV etc.

As a landlord, I think you are limited to providing gas/electricity/oil for heating/cooking/water heating and a water supply.

Leave a comment:

• Must landlord provide telephone line/service to tenant?

Is she right ?

Many thanks

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X