Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant's done a bunk and trashed the place

Hey,

Need some advice, bit of a tricky one! T AST due to expire on 24/8. They contacted us and told us that they were moving out on 19/7. We told them that the fixed-term AST didnt expire until the 24/8 and that they were legally bound to the AST until this time but they went mad and seem to think that they only need to give us 30 days notice and then they are free....they did a bunk over the weekend!!

They have not paid the rent for 2 months - the deposit only partially covers the total amount.

They have not returned the keys.

...And on initial 'peeking through the windows' they seem to have considerable damage (smashed glass in internal kitchen door, drilled through the outside wall into the hallway leaving loose wires hanging, drilled through the hallway wall into the lounge leaving loose wires hanging and the garden hasnt been touched in goodness knows how long, grass is waist height, they've also left so much rubbish behind it's spread all down the side of house and its all over the garden).

But they made a mistake - moved to small area! They've moved next to friends of ours! So we have their new address but also T were only named occupiers...HIS place of work actually took up the AST and were guarantors.

What is the first thing I do? Serve notice to T on a property that I know T has moved out of? Or contact the guarantors advising of situation and chase money for arrears and damages?

Any advice will be welcomed

Thx

Originally posted by bennetka View Post
    AST due to expire on 24/8. They contacted us and told us that they were moving out on 19/7. We told them that the fixed-term AST didnt expire until the 24/8 and that they were legally bound to the AST until this time but they went mad and seem to think that they only need to give us 30 days notice and then they are free.
    Well, you're right and they're wrong of course. T is bound by AST until its fixed term expires, at least.
    I suggest that you do both: serve T with Notice unser s.8 of Housing Act 1988 (citing grounds 8, 10, and 11 [all re rent] and grounds 12-15 too [all re condition of property or T's conduct]); and serve Guarantor with the same + demand for rent arrears payment.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X