End of AST - new AST or periodic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of AST - new AST or periodic

I appear to have been more successful with my second tenant and the original 6 month AST is expiring shortly. Is it best to have a new 6 month AST or just to accept rent on a monthly basis ?

Thanks

Have you asked the tenant whether he/she would like another six months? This would seem to be the logical first step.

Comment

Also, L needs to decide whether it's better to have:
      a. the flexibility of a periodic tenancy, terminable sooner than a fixed term; or
      b. the security of a fixed term and (all being well) a reasonably probable rent flow during it.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Are all Landlord (and tenant) rights, like access to the property etc that were in the AST still valid through the periodic tenancy ?

In addition does this change of tenancy have any effect on the tenant deposit which remains with the DPS ?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Hertford23 View Post
          Are all Landlord (and tenant) rights, like access to the property etc that were in the AST still valid through the periodic tenancy ?
          Yes

In addition does this change of tenancy have any effect on the tenant deposit which remains with the DPS ?
          No

It's certainly the 'simple' option just to let it go periodic. Personally, assuming I have tenants I want to keep, I tend to explain the two options (periodic vs new 6-month AST) and let them decide which they prefer.

Comment

I appear to have been more successful with my second tenant and the original 6 month AST is expiring shortly. Is it best to have a new 6 month AST or just to accept rent on a monthly basis ?

Thanks
            If the tenant is someone you would like to keep and the open market in your area may not secure you any more worthwhile rent, a new 6-month AST and not having to deal/worry about the property/income for 4-5 more months would be my preference.

If the tenant is amenable, why not go for 1 year?

I doubt rents will change much over a year and even if they do rise a bit, you always have to balance receiving a slightly lower rent with the security of having a regular income stream without voids for 1 year/6 months.

Comment

Thanks for all your advice - it was very useful. I will speak to the tenant.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X