Personal Property Stored in Garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal Property Stored in Garage

My brother, who is mentally challenged, let a lady store a lot of her belongings in his house. Actually, the house is in the name of 5 siblings, but he is the only one living there. I am moving in with him and told her she had to get her stuff out. She moved it into the garage and will not move it out of the garage. I need the space in the garage. She has never lived in the house. She just has her belongings there. She does not pay any storage fees. Can I get rid of her belongings?

Thank you

Barbara

Write to her by recorded delivery explaining that it is no longer convenient for her belongings to be in your property and that you would like her to remove them by x date (14 days is reasonable), or you will assume she no longer wants the items and will dispose of them.

If she doesn't, I think you are within your rights to get rid. What sort of stuff is it, by the way?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I am not sure what she has in there. It is a lot of stuff. Boxes upon boxes that are sealed, lots of books. suitcases with stuff in them. A lot. I do not know where she resides and neither does my brother. She just comes over to the garage every so often. Her boyfriend has a large boat parked in the driveway to the garage so that if and when the garage is cleared out I cannot park my car in there because the boat is in the way.

Barbara

Comment

Good grief! It sounds as if they have really been exploiting your brother's goodwill. Presumably the boyfriend does not pay rent to park his boat there? Perhaps one of the lawyers on this forum could clarify whether you can also have the boat removed (depending on its type and condition, there are educational trusts/charities which could use it in programmes for young people, etc).

Someone abandoned their clapped out car on my dad's drive once and he towed it to the scrapyard himself where he got £50 for it. But I don't know whether the stuff on your property can be described as 'abandoned'.

Ask the police?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Well in an ideal world and one that wasnt scrutinised by legal people on this forum I would advise you (not that I am) to change the lock on the garage. That would then force her to make contact with you and then you can give her some form of notice about getting the stuff shifted.

Of course there may be legal ramifications to this and would never dream of advising you to do it but it would make it hard for her to ignore.
          My views and posts are based on my opinion and any advice given is just that, advice. If you decide to act on any advice given it is with the full knowledge that I am not perfect and anything I say could be wrong!

Comment

I agree with Sorrel about the locks on the garage door, but it still doesn't solve the problem of the boat.

There have been replies on this forum to similar questions (e.g. about ex-tenants leaving stuff after they've been evicted, or ex-partners moving out of conjugal home) but I can't remember what they said!

Perhaps I will trawl through a few.

Comment

I would write to the person informing tham that you are giving formal notice under the Torts (interference with goods) Act 1977 that you intend to sell the goods if they are not removed within 14 days (this includes the boat). You can then deduct your costs and offer them the remainder. This usually works for me! I'll bet the boat won't be there on the 27th day....
              Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                I would write to the person informing tham that you are giving formal notice under the Torts (interference with goods) Act 1977 that you intend to sell the goods if they are not removed within 14 days (this includes the boat). You can then deduct your costs and offer them the remainder. This usually works for me! I'll bet the boat won't be there on the 27th day....
                Yes but she doesn't know where the person lives, therefore has no way of serving this notice.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                  There have been replies on this forum to similar questions (e.g. about ex-tenants leaving stuff after they've been evicted, or ex-partners moving out of conjugal home) but I can't remember what they said!

Perhaps I will trawl through a few.
                  Please see thread entitled 'Disposal of uncollected goods' which I've just dug up and revived.
                  Last edited by mind the gap; 17-07-2008, 21:43 PM. Reason: wrong word

Comment

Thank you all very, very much. I will let you know how we make out. You have been very helpful.

Barbara

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                      Please see thread entitled 'Disposal of uncollected goods' which I've just dug up and revived.
                      It's http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=11789.
                      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Mind the gap - doesn't matter really - i would pin it on the garage and on the boat if necessary and photograph it!
                        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

OP how are you with boats? If its on your drive you might as well take it out for a sail...

A Life on the Ocean Wave, a home on the rolling deep, where the scattered waters rave and the winds their revels keep
                          Last edited by Sorrel; 19-07-2008, 08:24 AM. Reason: forgot a letter
                          My views and posts are based on my opinion and any advice given is just that, advice. If you decide to act on any advice given it is with the full knowledge that I am not perfect and anything I say could be wrong!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X