Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rent recovery from unemployed tenant on benefit

Got another question

I have no excuses now, as i couldn't find this written anywhere.
    If a tenant refuses to pay the rent, after the s21 is served, how can the landlord recover the money if he is unemployed ?
    can he appeal to the fact that the tenant is currently on benefits and job seekers allowance . What if the tenant works for cash without a payslip ?

I guess his benefits cannot be touched ?

Didn't look too far

Go to this link: http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...=7990#post7990

and go to the bottom post. The options are thoroughly explained by davidjohnbutton.
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

As mentioned, attachment of earnings is a waste of time if they're unemployed, as will Garnishee if they have no money in a bank account. You can still sue them for the money and get it taken out of their benefit, but its something like £280 per week, which will take forever to pay you back and it's not enough to make any difference to you each time you receive it.

Comment

Got it Mr Shed
        Will try to look harder next time

thanks richie too, yes £280 + job seekers allowance, not a big amount but still less than he owed before and less for me to recover, if i can get it . It's a pain anyway i know .

Comment

No storex its fine....you probably would not have found that as the original thread didnt have too much to do with your question....I just remembered it off a few days ago is all!
          Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

For avoidance of doubt, you cannot and will not until the law is changed attach Social Security Benefit and if you do a garnishee/third party debt order against a bank account and the only funds in it came from Social Security, you cannot touch that either.

The DWP will under certain closely defined circumstances deduct a small amount of money to pay certain debt, but these are generally related to fuel debts including water charges and council tax. A landlord sueing and then asking the DWP to make deductions does not work - I know, I have tried it.

Housing Benefit/Local Housing Allowance is defined as a social security benefit, but there are separate regulations which provide for payment to the landlord of his/her tenants benefit when the tenant is more than 8 weeks in arrears and for less than 8 weeks, the tenant has to be "vulnerable" in some way.

Comment

As someone who may be in this boat very soon (provided we get possession at our hearing and the tenants are rehoused by the council) does that mean (unless the ex tenant gets a job which pays into bank account providing he has one) that we have to write off all the debt forever? We are owed over £2000 - can he just walk away????
              Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Reply to Islandgirl - sorry - the answer is yes.

If you have one of the enforcment means that will work with your tenant then use it - otherwise write the debt off against your tax bill.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant Issues - New Landlord Requesting Advice
                  TWMLandlord
                  For the past year I have let my family home (work commitments meant I've had to live elsewhere), using a fully managed service provided by a local letting agent. I let the property on the understanding that it was a single tenant with her young son and no pets (although I advertised the property as...
                  19-08-2017, 16:01 PM
                • Reply to Tenant Issues - New Landlord Requesting Advice
                  Darth Wookie
                  Not entirely. A landlord is responsible to their tenants, but a tenant is responsible for any visitors or occupants they may have during their tenancy.
                  Is it really possible to dictate to a person who they should, or should not, have in the privacy of their own home. Can we, as a society, really...
                  21-08-2017, 10:15 AM
                • Mice in the flat - what to do?
                  JP23
                  We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month...
                  26-07-2017, 06:02 AM
                • Reply to Mice in the flat - what to do?
                  HantsAgent
                  Great, but you've entirely missed the point I was making.

If someone walked across my front garden and allowed their dog to take a massive dump I'd have more than reasonable grounds to hold them responsible for cleaning it up.

But if they refused or claimed that it wasn't down...
                  21-08-2017, 10:01 AM
                • NTQ during fixed term?
                  vpltd
                  Hi,
                  Can a LL issue a valid NTQ during the six-month fixed term of an AST agreement?
                  (A residential let in England.)
                  VPL.
                  11-08-2017, 14:53 PM
                • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
                  jpkeates
                  Notice to quit is pretty well defined, "surrender" is not, so while that list looks complete, it is in fact not.

For a tenant to surrender a tenancy, there should be an offer of surrender and the landlord has to accept that offer.

If s21 notice is served and a tenant...
                  21-08-2017, 09:50 AM
                • End of student tenancy
                  mkgirl
                  Hi

my Daughter shared a house last year with 4 strangers as she didn't get in to halls. It's been a bit of a nightmare as the 2 lads were very disrespectful with regards to cleanliness, having people over and paying towards bills. She came home a lot and i may came home for the summer as...
                  20-08-2017, 17:29 PM
                • Reply to End of student tenancy
                  jpkeates
                  There's only (legally) one tenant in a joint tenancy ("who" is made up of the five occupants all of whom are liable for all of the obligations of the tenant), so yes, the badly maintaining students will be subsidised by the better behaved students.

The "Lead Tenant"...
                  21-08-2017, 09:17 AM
                • Tenants reporting damp issues in flat
                  james99
                  Hi,

I rent out a modern / purpose built ground floor flat which I've owned for c15 years and lived in it myself up until the last few years when I have rented it out. Never had any issues with damp when I was living there or with past tenants, however, the current tenants have reported...
                  16-08-2017, 16:53 PM
                • Reply to Tenants reporting damp issues in flat
                  leaseholder64
                  Most head leases for flats forbid drying within the grounds but outside the flat, so requiring drying outside the property means an extended dry in the laundrette, so you if you want to impose such a rule, you should probably ban washing machines as well.

(Where I live, a common breach...
                  21-08-2017, 09:16 AM
                Working...
                X