Rent off a relative - get housing benefit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent off a relative - get housing benefit

I don't know if this is the right forum but hopefully someone can help. I have been getting help from a relative to rent privately as I am on a low income. So far, because the tenancy agreement was in my relatives name I haven't been claiming housing benefit.

However, I have to move in the next couple of months. My relative cannot keep supporting my rent, but will consider buying a property and installing me as a tenant hoping I can get housing benefit. According to the guidelines, you cannot claim benefit if you rent from a relative who lives with you.

My relative does not live with me, I live with my 3 children only.

My main concerns are:
    1) If I rented off a new landlord, I would either have to ask them to accept me as a housing benefit tenant which is hard to do
    2) I would have to have my relative as guarantor which might make it hard to claim benefit as they might consider that the lease is not in my name.
    3) As my relative has been paying my rent for over a year I am worried they might assume that the arrangement should continue.
    4) That if my relative buys a flat / house, the council will refuse to pay the HB. He can only do this if the rent is paid or significantly contributed to.

There are lots of circumstances which I prefer not to go into about why I am in this situation so if you need to know more to answer me properly please ask.

Originally posted by sylvester
    My relative cannot keep supporting my rent, but will consider buying a property and installing me as a tenant hoping I can get housing benefit. According to the guidelines, you cannot claim benefit if you rent from a relative who lives with you.
    Check with your local Housing Benefit office, mine ask whether you are related to the landlord but I don't know the relevance of the question.

1) If I rented off a new landlord, I would either have to ask them to accept me as a housing benefit tenant which is hard to do.
    No it isn't but there are a lot of landlords who won't do this because of the potential hassle.

2) I would have to have my relative as guarantor which might make it hard to claim benefit as they might consider that the lease is not in my name.
    No, you don't need a guarantor but you may need a deposit. If you can't arrange this then you may be able to get a deposit guarantee from the housing office.

3) As my relative has been paying my rent for over a year I am worried they might assume that the arrangement should continue.
    Irrelevant.

4) That if my relative buys a flat / house, the council will refuse to pay the HB. He can only do this if the rent is paid or significantly contributed to.
    See first reply.

Comment

I was asked by a mortgage advisor a couple of years ago if I would consider buying a house to let to his mother as if he bought it, she would not be able to get any housing benefit.

Dont know how true that is bu t you may want to ask the council.

Comment

Contact Council

My advise would be to contact the council and find out where you stand in this one. My parents rent from my uncle... My Mums Brother in Law and they claim HB. All they do is monitor it and ensure it is all above board... ie you claiming to rent it when in fact you do not and the HB is paying the mortgage. A couple in Bristol have just been taken to court and convicted oif scamming the council by the wife saying she was renting the property from the husband and he lived elsewhere.. turned out the HB was paying for the mortgage!

In relation to the guarantor question, this would not affect HB applications. The Tenancy agreement would be in your name you just have someone sign an agreement to say if you do not pay your rent they will. It gives the landlord a back up. I don't think I have ever seen a housing benefit form ask if you have a guarantor for your rent.

You can find alot of information on your local government website, some even include calculators to find out how much HB you could be eligible for. If you need help finding the webpage let me know where you are in a private message and I will locate it for you and reply accordingly.
        GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Part Admission of Debt MCOL Help!
          nessa
          Hi, hoping someone can help.

First claim on mcol, so I’m finding my feet.

I have just received forms n9a and n9b from the court, regarding the defendants part admission to my claim started in mcol.

However that was all I have received, I received no other forms...
          24-01-2018, 06:15 AM
        • Erroneous Change Of Occupancy Fee
          Sonofahod
          Hi There,

I am planning to move out of a shared rental property in March. Foxtons, the agency managing the property want to charge me a £300 "Change of Occupancy" administration fee as we have not reached the full term of the tenancy. I realise that the fee covers both me leaving...
          23-01-2018, 13:16 PM
        • Reply to Erroneous Change Of Occupancy Fee
          mariner
          Your information is severely deficient,
          Of course a move out inspection can be chargedeven with no move in report.
          You accepted LA fees by proceeding with Application.
          Deposit ADR cannot be used to contest Agency fees.
          24-01-2018, 02:53 AM
        • Attending Court - Advice Please
          Muzza
          Hi there

I posted recently about our tenant leaving and giving her ex the keys to our house, we have a court date of 4th January for which Im flying back to the UK to attend (no contact or rent received from the persons she has left in there still). I feel hes staying in there as long...
          12-12-2017, 18:03 PM
        • Reply to Attending Court - Advice Please
          Muzza
          Thank you, Ill take a look!
          24-01-2018, 02:31 AM
        • Broken Boiler
          andy967
          HI - our boiler broke yesterday - our landlord is currently waiting for a quote for a new boiler - however one of the problems we have is that she lives abroad. It consequently means she's able to speak to people in the uk about any sort of business matter for 3 hours in the afternoon. I'm wondering...
          23-01-2018, 13:55 PM
        • Reply to Broken Boiler
          Muzza
          I live in the US at the moment, 7 hours behind the UK, yes its difficult BUT when my boiler broke I had someone out within 2 days, one thing she should have in place is a boiler cover or she should have tradesmen lined up who she trusts so if something goes wrong she can get in touch with them immediately,...
          24-01-2018, 02:29 AM
        • Section 8 notice served, what next
          lakemk
          Hi section 8 notice was served for rent arrears last wk, it doesn’t look like the tenant is going to pay , my question is what should I do next to prepare me for the court as I never been.

I ve seen the post before abt the tenant may defend for disrepair, the house in fairly good condition...
          22-01-2018, 21:46 PM
        • Reply to Section 8 notice served, what next
          Muzza
          Hi - I attended court a few weeks ago, we used several grounds in the section 8, the mandatory one being the rent arrears, they didnt put a defence in, show up or pay so the judge just asked for proof I had served the section 8 (proof of postage receipts from the PO) and an up to date rent statement...
          24-01-2018, 02:24 AM
        • Leak into downstairs flat - advice
          Dberry
          Hi,

I'm new the forum and the UK and wonder if you can advise…
          I’ve recently moved to the UK from Canada and so I’m not sure of rights and liabilities... I moved into my flat a few months ago and caused a leak into the apartment below me by leaving the tap running in the bathroom...
          23-01-2018, 08:50 AM
        Working...
        X