Evicting a lodger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evicting a lodger

Hey, wonder if you can help the advice on the net is really confusing and does not give a definitive answer.

We rented out a room and living room in our house just over four months ago. We have have consistant problems with the lodger not paying rent and coming up with fantastical excuses when she does eventually turn up with the rent. We have been more than fair to her let her move in without the first months rent in advance (stupid i know - will never do that again) and only two weeks rent as deposit.

We gave her a letter on the 28th of October asking her to leave the premises by the 28th of November since we gave her the notice she has not been back to the house, and to be prefectly honest i think shes avoiding the issue and expects me to back down as per usual when she decided to come sauntering back in - no doubt after the 28th November.

I'd really like to know what i can do in that situation can i phone her and tell her i'm packing up her stuff on the 28th and leave it outside and change the locks? or do i have to go through the court? The property is based in Scotland.

Should i warn her that i'm willing to take it to the court in order to get her out or just leave it til the 28th depending what your reply to the above is.

Many Thanks in advance,

Kirsteen

I agree that some of the information on this is confusing, recently this forum has had the idea of notice to lodgers put in question. However, and I accept that you are sure that this person is classed as a lodger, and therefore I would say you have given adequate notice to the lodger, you can now change the locks and inform the lodger that her possessions can be picked up from you within a reasonable timeframe, no further court action is required.

Comment

I dont know anything about Scottish landlord-tenant law but I found this.

From the Scotland Shelter website;

What tenancy status does a lodger have?

If you share facilities such as the kitchen and bathroom with your lodger, they will be a common law tenant. Common law tenants don't have many rights, but you will still need a court order to evict them if you ask them to leave and they don't want to go. Check out the page on sharing with your landlord to find out what your lodger's rights are and what you would need to do if you wanted them to leave.

Comment

I suspect that that IS different from English law, as otherwise I'm sure something like that will have been mentioned! However still
        Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Answer to Lodger question regarding notice and liability

Hi guys,

Just to let you know I spoke to citizens advice and they gave me a website address regarding getting rid of an unwanted lodger who is staying beyond the notice. It does seem as if the law in england and Scotland are similar.

The web address is:http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotla...nd_sub-tenants

The answer is under 'facing evicition'

Many thanks for your help.

Kirsteen

Comment

We may be all but submerged into the E flaming U but its still England with a capital 'E'.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Mice in the flat - what to do?
              JP23
              We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month...
              26-07-2017, 06:02 AM
            • Reply to Mice in the flat - what to do?
              HantsAgent
              Great, but you've entirely missed the point I was making.

If someone walked across my front garden and allowed their dog to take a massive dump I'd have more than reasonable grounds to hold them responsible for cleaning it up.

But if they refused or claimed that it wasn't down...
              21-08-2017, 10:01 AM
            • NTQ during fixed term?
              vpltd
              Hi,
              Can a LL issue a valid NTQ during the six-month fixed term of an AST agreement?
              (A residential let in England.)
              VPL.
              11-08-2017, 14:53 PM
            • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
              jpkeates
              Notice to quit is pretty well defined, "surrender" is not, so while that list looks complete, it is in fact not.

For a tenant to surrender a tenancy, there should be an offer of surrender and the landlord has to accept that offer.

If s21 notice is served and a tenant...
              21-08-2017, 09:50 AM
            • End of student tenancy
              mkgirl
              Hi

my Daughter shared a house last year with 4 strangers as she didn't get in to halls. It's been a bit of a nightmare as the 2 lads were very disrespectful with regards to cleanliness, having people over and paying towards bills. She came home a lot and i may came home for the summer as...
              20-08-2017, 17:29 PM
            • Reply to End of student tenancy
              jpkeates
              There's only (legally) one tenant in a joint tenancy ("who" is made up of the five occupants all of whom are liable for all of the obligations of the tenant), so yes, the badly maintaining students will be subsidised by the better behaved students.

The "Lead Tenant"...
              21-08-2017, 09:17 AM
            • Tenants reporting damp issues in flat
              james99
              Hi,

I rent out a modern / purpose built ground floor flat which I've owned for c15 years and lived in it myself up until the last few years when I have rented it out. Never had any issues with damp when I was living there or with past tenants, however, the current tenants have reported...
              16-08-2017, 16:53 PM
            • Reply to Tenants reporting damp issues in flat
              leaseholder64
              Most head leases for flats forbid drying within the grounds but outside the flat, so requiring drying outside the property means an extended dry in the laundrette, so you if you want to impose such a rule, you should probably ban washing machines as well.

(Where I live, a common breach...
              21-08-2017, 09:16 AM
            • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
              jjlandlord
              The Act clearly states what a s.21 notice does, which is nothing apart from allowing the landlord to go to court.

I have just done so.

If a s.21 does nothing then the tenant may only end the tenancy by surrender or notice to quit. Both of which are very well documented...
              21-08-2017, 09:08 AM
            • Reply to End of student tenancy
              mkgirl
              Sadly all on one joint tenancy. We've learnt the hard way never to do this again! To be fair the lead tenant process was never explained, they just said someone had to be lead tenant!...
              21-08-2017, 09:05 AM
            Working...
            X