Assessing prospective tenant's ability to afford rent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assessing prospective tenant's ability to afford rent?

I've just shown a prospective tenant round a property, and she's keen; from my point of view she seems a good bet except that I'm wondering whether she will be able to afford the rent bearing in mind she has what I know must be a fairly low-paid job.

I need to get back to her in the next couple of days; obviously if I invite her to apply for the tenancy I'll get full details of her income. But I just wondered whether other LLs work using an income threshold (eg income multiples, like the mortgage companies?) below which they won't consider a potential tenant?

Obviously income isn't the only financial yardstick - eg a high-earning prospect may have massive outgoings which they wouldn't own up about; nevertheless it's a good starting point.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Originally posted by Ericthelobster
    Obviously income isn't the only financial yardstick - eg a high-earning prospect may have massive outgoings which they wouldn't own up about; nevertheless it's a good starting point.
    Equally, as has happened to me, a low earning prospect turned out to have a partner in the wings who paid the full rent direct from his account.

Comment

Tell her you're not sure, but could be swayed if she provides a guarantor.

Comment

If you want it in terms of cold hard cash, I would say it would be difficult to sustain a tenancy off your own back if you earn below around £13000 gross. Of course, this entirely depends what your rent is! I'm kind of loosly(sic) basing it on £550-600 pcm. For every £1000 debt they are in, I would increase this by around £250 - but again this depends upon the type of debt.

This is PURELY my opinion, and based upon not living totally on the breadline....kind of figures I've been working with when considering whether I can rent again
        Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

The answer!

Thanks for the above replies.

In fact I've just spent some time googling, and come up with the following link which contains some useful stuff - it's actually a letting agent's FAQ - which might be useful for others who are in this situation:

http://www.gps-online.co.uk/webpage.asp?id=60

According to their criteria, a tenant needs to be earning 1.5x the annual rent to be considered at all; 2.5x the annual rent to be considered without a guarantor; and any guarantor should be earning 3x the rent.

The 2.5x is not far off MrShed's criteria, as it happens.

(The PS is that I contacted this prospect 6 hours after viewing to offer her the property, during which time she's signed up for somewhere else and I've missed the deadline for re-advertising in this week's local rag... )

Comment

Just to follow on from bayoo's point....while I agree it is important to look at these things, do not let them be the be all and end all, ask the reasons. In particular look to see if they are going further into the red each month, or staying about the same. I personally am constantly in the red at the moment, due to not long being out of university, however I always pay my bills in full each month, and my red amount is decreasing slowly but surely. This is just one example of where a circumstance can cause a permanant negative bank balance.
            Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord dictating minimum temperature for property
              by haystack1979
              Our landlord wants to insert a clause in our tenancy agreement to require us to maintain a temperature of 20 degrees in the house in order to mitigate a damp problem, is this legal? It's a very old place with a kitchen with thick stone walls which is poorly ventilated. The previous owner had the damp...
              30-07-2021, 11:33 AM
            • Reply to Help - evicted tenant leaves a nasty surprise behind
              by jpkeates
              Try and change suppliers.
              The outgoing supplier will do everything that they can to prevent this (the automated routes won't work), but they'll have to do it eventually.
              30-07-2021, 11:12 AM
            • Help - evicted tenant leaves a nasty surprise behind
              by nreid
              My tenant was evicted back in April of this year after a lengthy period.
              Besides this trauma, the problems continue.

My new agent has emptied the letterbox and found a number of concerning items. One is the matter of a court summons for unpaid council tax. I have since taken over...
              29-07-2021, 20:21 PM
            • Reply to solicitors fees
              by doobrey
              It sounds like it. But as above ask for a breakdown of fees first and take it from there.

There is a Solicitors Regulation Authority. It has a Code of Conduct....
              30-07-2021, 11:10 AM
            • solicitors fees
              by rob1648
              Hi all , finally managed to get my tenant evicted after 18 months of hell using high court bailiffs , house now sold so happy days, we tried initially to do the section 21ourselves but made mistakes which citizens advice happily pointed out to our tenant so we decided to use a solicitor to act for us...
              29-07-2021, 15:19 PM
            • Reply to Help! Sub tenant with no contract eviction rights
              by jpkeates
              Assuming that you are a tenant (there's a good checker on the Shelter website - which might be useful to point your landlord at)..

There are a number of ways a tenancy can be brought to an end, but for a landlord to end the tenancy, there are only two options (other than by agreement with...
              30-07-2021, 11:10 AM
            • Help! Sub tenant with no contract eviction rights
              by Yasmenaax
              Hi there,

I moved into a property 2-3 months ago which was subletted to me by a girl named on the main tenancy contract of the property. I handed over a deposit (which is currently unprotected) and have paid rent on time. She today decided to give me notice to leave, giving me only 2 weeks...
              29-07-2021, 02:19 AM
              by Piffy
              We had a very high solicitors charge but my partner noticed in their terms & conditions that they had put that if their charges were going to go over £5000 they would contact us first, which they had not done, so the bill was reduced to £5000 plus Vat at £1000.
              And I believe that there...
              30-07-2021, 11:06 AM
              by Hudson01
              We all understand that they are not known for their charitable nature...... but 9k !!!! As has been said, ask for a detailed breakdown of exactly how they have spent a weeks worth of time (avrg 48hr week) to deal with this simple (non contested) S21....... Wow
              30-07-2021, 11:00 AM
              by Section20z
              It's not just the hours don't forget, it takes six years training to learn how to inflate fees like that...
              30-07-2021, 10:45 AM
            Working...
            X