Break Clause - 6 or 8 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are either calling your bluff or they have simply not understood the wording of the contract they have prepared.

Comment

Handing the keys back can often be part of a surrender (or not if the landlord hasn't accepted the offer of surrender) but this is entirely different to giving a notice to quit.

Now I generally hate break clauses but it appears that your tenancy agreement allows you to give a 2 month notice to quit should you wish to end your fixed term early. This means that if you give your notice in month 4 then your tenancy will come to an end when your notice expires which for you would be the last day of month 6.

Therefore in my opinion your tenancy would not end within 6 months of the fixed term and your letting agent can go swivel on their misinformed bottoms.

If you are unsure about what to do seek professional Legal advice.

Comment

Thanks House

It seems like they have let the landlord down. If they were 100% confident that they were correct why would they re advertise the flat.

So in your opinion I have nothing to worry about if the landlord goes to seek legal advice.

And that the offer / cover letter means nothing as it was subject to contract.

I dont want to wind the letting agency up any more but I am not going to be taken for a ride.

Comment

As my disclaimer says if you are unsure seek professional legal advice

I believe you are fine in giving notice as you have done but then I haven't seen you, or your tenancy agreement, I'm not being paid to provide this advice and I'm watching tv.

Comment

Thanks House, Pelican & Lawbreaker.

Your advice has been extremely valuable. I desperately want to get back to my g/f.

House - enjoy the tv

Comment

no problem i shall expect my million pound cheque shortly

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X