Moved out, No deposit back & LL wants more money!!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Moved out, No deposit back & LL wants more money!!

    Well... after many problems with a landlord who I have rented from since 2004 I decided to move out. I replaced items in the flat that were broken, had it cleaned etc. The deposit of £600 is due to be returned less 2 weeks rent, which had not been paid. Our deposit was paid prior to April 2007 so is not in the TDS.
    Just had a letter requesting an additional £100 as the deposit does not cover redecorating the bathroom due to condensation and a broken pane of glass. Neither of these items are true and the check out happened after I moved out!
    Can I take them to the small claims court? Any ideas greatly appreciated! I did take pictures when I moved out which show both items to be OK.


    Is there an inventory and schedule of condition that you signed when you moved in?


      Did you agree to the contents of and sign an inventory when you moved in? If not then your landlord hasn't a leg to stand on.

      Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.


        I did have a inventory carried it. Which said that the bathroom was newly painted and there was no mention of a broken window.

        The window is not broken and the bathroom was fine. I even replaced the shower hose and toilet seat. I also took photographs. My concern is as the check out happened after I moved out (and not in my presence) they have just made this up.

        Is this grounds to take them to the small claims court?

        Thanks for all your help!


          The Landlord will have to prove the damage exists/existed if he wants to keep your money. Write a polite letter saying that you disagree, that the damage was not there when you moved out, that you have photographic evidence to prove it, and request the return of your (remaining) deposit within seven days.


          Latest Activity