Help with lodger problem

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Help with lodger problem

    I currently have a lodger, who is a friend, hes has been with me for about 2 years, but i finally want the house to myself.
    I have asked him to move out on several occasions.

    The problem is, he can't afford to move anywhere, even though he doesn't pay me rent, just helps pay bills and buys household products. I don't really want to kick him out.

    He wrote a letter to the council about 6 months ago, saying i needed the room he's staying in, but they cannot help him with council housing.

    How can i go about approaching the council telling them he has to go, or is it my problem?, and do i have to tell him to leave.

    Recently a post has revelled that you may have to give notice despite him being a lodger. In your position I would give him formal notice in writing that he is out, this should be a period equal to the period of rent, i.e. a week or a month. You can then change the locks and give him opportunity to collect his stuff. He could use this notice to gain housing, but to be honest its not your problem, apart from booting out a mate, but business is business.


      problem is he doesn't reallt pay me me rent. is there something i can do with the council to help speed up his process, with obtaing council accommodation, otherwise i could end up jeapordising my friendship.


        If you give him notice to leave then this is making him unintentionally homeless, which automatically means that he is boosted higher up the council waiting list. How do you mean he is not really paying rent?
        Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.


          he doesn't give me a weekly rent, i ask him for money for bills, and he buys products around the house (toilet rolls, washing up liquid etc.)


            Has he never given you weekly rent? If he has never given you rent, then I would say he isn't even a lodger, he is a guest, and as such can chuck him out at any time. However, even so I would suggest that you write him a letter of notice, giving 2 weeks or so. Then he can show this to the council as proof that he will be unintentionally homeless. However, you must follow this up with action if he does not leave by this time.
            Last edited by MrShed; 13-11-2005, 12:28 PM.
            Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.


            Latest Activity


            • Part Admission of Debt MCOL Help!
              Hi, hoping someone can help.

              First claim on mcol, so I’m finding my feet.

              I have just received forms n9a and n9b from the court, regarding the defendants part admission to my claim started in mcol.

              However that was all I have received, I received no other forms...
              24-01-2018, 06:15 AM
            • Erroneous Change Of Occupancy Fee
              Hi There,

              I am planning to move out of a shared rental property in March. Foxtons, the agency managing the property want to charge me a £300 "Change of Occupancy" administration fee as we have not reached the full term of the tenancy. I realise that the fee covers both me leaving...
              23-01-2018, 13:16 PM
            • Reply to Erroneous Change Of Occupancy Fee
              Your information is severely deficient,
              Of course a move out inspection can be chargedeven with no move in report.
              You accepted LA fees by proceeding with Application.
              Deposit ADR cannot be used to contest Agency fees.
              24-01-2018, 02:53 AM
            • Attending Court - Advice Please
              Hi there

              I posted recently about our tenant leaving and giving her ex the keys to our house, we have a court date of 4th January for which Im flying back to the UK to attend (no contact or rent received from the persons she has left in there still). I feel hes staying in there as long...
              12-12-2017, 18:03 PM
            • Reply to Attending Court - Advice Please
              Thank you, Ill take a look!
              24-01-2018, 02:31 AM
            • Broken Boiler
              HI - our boiler broke yesterday - our landlord is currently waiting for a quote for a new boiler - however one of the problems we have is that she lives abroad. It consequently means she's able to speak to people in the uk about any sort of business matter for 3 hours in the afternoon. I'm wondering...
              23-01-2018, 13:55 PM
            • Reply to Broken Boiler
              I live in the US at the moment, 7 hours behind the UK, yes its difficult BUT when my boiler broke I had someone out within 2 days, one thing she should have in place is a boiler cover or she should have tradesmen lined up who she trusts so if something goes wrong she can get in touch with them immediately,...
              24-01-2018, 02:29 AM
            • Section 8 notice served, what next
              Hi section 8 notice was served for rent arrears last wk, it doesn’t look like the tenant is going to pay , my question is what should I do next to prepare me for the court as I never been.

              I ve seen the post before abt the tenant may defend for disrepair, the house in fairly good condition...
              22-01-2018, 21:46 PM
            • Reply to Section 8 notice served, what next
              Hi - I attended court a few weeks ago, we used several grounds in the section 8, the mandatory one being the rent arrears, they didnt put a defence in, show up or pay so the judge just asked for proof I had served the section 8 (proof of postage receipts from the PO) and an up to date rent statement...
              24-01-2018, 02:24 AM
            • Leak into downstairs flat - advice

              I'm new the forum and the UK and wonder if you can advise…
              I’ve recently moved to the UK from Canada and so I’m not sure of rights and liabilities... I moved into my flat a few months ago and caused a leak into the apartment below me by leaving the tap running in the bathroom...
              23-01-2018, 08:50 AM