T's boyfriend paid deposit- can he recover it from L?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T's boyfriend paid deposit- can he recover it from L?

I need some information on how i am covered legally getting my deposit back from the landlord.

I recently agreed to move in with my girlfriend and we found a one bedroom flat and put down a deposit. My share was about £500. However she is the only one named on the Tenancy agreement.

I have had a change of heart and decided i no longer want to live with her, she was obviously did not take this news too well and is now being a bit nasty saying she will not give me my deposit back etc.

I called the landlord and explained what has happend, he phoned my ex girlfriend to verify the story, not sure exactly what they said to each other, but he told me i can only receive back around £350 since he has had to re advertise the flat!!!

It is through a private landlord not an agent. I do not currently have a copy of any of the paperwork.

Could someone please let me know my legal rights as to obtaining my full deposit back either from the landlord or the ex girlfriend.

I would ideally like to write a letter stating the legislation and applicable Act if i am covered by law.

I am more than happy to take either one of them to small claims court if i can as i desperately need this deposit for a new place and to live!

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Legally, L does not have to pay anything back to you. You're not T.
    The dispute is therefore between you and GF. She is T; she paid the combined deposit.
    Why did you not have anything formal drawn up to protect yourself and your £££? It's a bit late now.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X