Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ambiguous break clause?

Hello all,

We have a break clause in a rental agreement that is possibly ambiguous, so I'm after a few opinions on how it reads. Having now read up on break clauses, I can see that it's poorly worded, but for the time being this is what we have:

"It is hereby agreed and understood that the Landlord may bring this agreement to an end by giving the tenant not less than TWO MONTHS written notice, subject to a minimum term of SIX MONTHS. After this minimum term, notice may be given at anytime."

It also contains the same clause for tenant notice and ONE MONTH.

Does this mean notice can be served such that the minimum rental term is 6 months [eg. tenant gives notice after 5 months, landlord after 4 months] or that neither party can give notice until after the 6 months.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by surkey View Post
    Hello all,

We have a break clause in a rental agreement that is possibly ambiguous, so I'm after a few opinions on how it reads. Having now read up on break clauses, I can see that it's poorly worded, but for the time being this is what we have:

"It is hereby agreed and understood that the Landlord may bring this agreement to an end by giving the tenant not less than TWO MONTHS written notice, subject to a minimum term of SIX MONTHS. After this minimum term, notice may be given at anytime."

Does this mean notice can be served such that the minimum rental term is 6 months [eg. tenant gives notice after 5 months, landlord after 4 months] or that neither party can give notice until after the 6 months.

Thanks in advance!
    I have always understood it to mean LL can give two months notice in the 4th month and tenant one month notice in the 5th month - taking note of the expiry date of the 6mo break clause.
    ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Comment

Originally posted by surkey View Post

I read it as follows:
      1. Tenancy must run for at least six months.
      2. L can give two months' Notice to T at any point after first four months of term.
      3. T can give one month's Notice to L at any point after first five months of term.

Paragon's take is that Notices can be given only in a defined month- but that misses the effect of the 'anytime'.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

What (in effect) is the difference between this and a standard six month AST?
        Now signature free.

Comment

Originally posted by lorenzo View Post
          What (in effect) is the difference between this and a standard six month AST?
          Not a lot, except that its provisions will apply [unchanged] for twelve months unless it's terminated early.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Boiler repair - tenant checked into hotel
            by tatemono
            I think you've done all you can in the situation including what many would not in offering your own facilities. I think, given the T's circumstances she would have been in her right to argue for some reduction in rent due to the inconvenience of not having all that she paid for. Perhaps you could negotiate...
            01-10-2020, 07:51 AM
          • Boiler repair - tenant checked into hotel
            by tedcbe
            Hi I have a tenant who has checked into a hotel due to the fact that the boiler broke down and says she will reduce the amount in the next month’s rent.
            I have never agreed for her to check into a hotel in the first place.
            She reported there is an issue with the heating on Sunday night...
            30-09-2020, 22:30 PM
          • Reply to Tenant moves his girlfriend in
            by tatemono
            That's the only thing we've ever done when partners move in... based on advice on these forums I should add!...
            01-10-2020, 07:46 AM
          • Tenant moves his girlfriend in
            by Hollywood
            Hi all, I've searched for similar thread but didn't succeed.
            My Tenant of 14 months, now on a SPT, has moved his girlfriend in. I'm ok with arrangement, it was mentioned by him when he first moved in but they split and nothing happened until now. He has been a good tenant so far & kindly...
            30-09-2020, 14:12 PM
          • Reply to Deposit Protection Rules?
            by jase222
            There was a case in Bristol similar where the judge rule that the landlord was right to give the original tenant the pi only and didn't need to for a later tenant but I know there was other info about the case, worth no win no fee tho
            01-10-2020, 07:12 AM
          • Deposit Protection Rules?
            by Nips
            Hi all ex tenant here, hoping someone can help as I can't find a lot of concrete advice online. Basically, I ended a very stressful tenancy in Aug 2019. There was a lot of back and forth, unclear info, and formal complaints, plus at the end of the tenancy they scalped us with deposit deductions. Just...
            30-09-2020, 17:43 PM
            by MW1985
            It is worth seeking with a no win no fee firm in this scenario. I would offer my opinion to say that the LA were remiss in not providing you with the deposit information. How were you to know the details contained within the Prescribed Info?
            It sounds as if some short cuts were taken by the...
            01-10-2020, 06:05 AM
          • Reply to Rent arrears recovery from mentally disabled ex-tenant
            by nukecad
            LOL, do you not read the news (or do you skip over anything disability/benefit related)?.

"Everyones a scrounger" is endemic in the benefits system, from government ministers to jobcentre staff.

Here's a particular telling case from last year. - If the DWP employee...
            01-10-2020, 05:14 AM
          • Rent arrears recovery from mentally disabled ex-tenant
            by OstridB
            Does anyone have experience of recovering rent arrears from my former ex-tenant? Tenant left owing £14,000 with £2,000 of damage. Hasn't been to Court. Tenant abandoned property.
            Tenant's representative says Tenant is receiving DWP social security benefits - sent me a rude email saying he...
            29-09-2020, 12:18 PM
            by gnvqsos
            Very unusual case.
            01-10-2020, 04:54 AM
          Working...
          X