Tenancy created by Deed (no rent)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy created by Deed (no rent)

Am I correct in thinking that if an AST is created by way of an executed 'deed', then it becomes legally enforceable even without any consideration?

If so, what are the requirements to effectively execute such a deed?

Yes. See my CONV. FORUM post re contract law basics- http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ead.php?t=5470
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks Jeffrey.

What steps down I need to take to ensure that that 'Deed' is executed correctly? My research so far has suggested the following:

1) Should be signed by both parties and an independent witness.
      2) Top copy and counter copy should be exchanged
      3) The front page of the agreement should state that it is a deed.

Anything else?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by totalproperty View Post
        Thanks Jeffrey.

What steps down I need to take to ensure that that 'Deed' is executed correctly? My research so far has suggested the following:

1) Should be signed by both parties and an independent witness.
        2) Top copy and counter copy should be exchanged
        3) The front page of the agreement should state that it is a deed.

Anything else?

Thanks
        Yes, although:
        a. point 2 applies in all letting cases (even where not a Deed); and
        b. the fact that it's a Deed can appear anywhere. Best is that attestations should be worded like this:

SIGNED as a Deed by [party' s name] in the presence of:
        Party signs to right of this wording.
        Witness signs below ths wording, then inserts own name/address in capitals.
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

What do you mean by "without any consideration"'? If no rent is payable it cannot be an AST.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
            What do you mean by "without any consideration"'? If no rent is payable it cannot be an AST.
            Yes, but a rent-free tenancy [who grants such things anyway?] could still be a binding common-law tenancy if by Deed. As you say, it could not be an AST as such [para. 3 of Schedule 1 to Housing Act 1988].

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Housing First - what are your thoughts?
              by jpucng62
              Much as I have sympathy for your clients and would like to support your work, I like jpkeates, would be unlikely to accept this kind of tenant. There is just too much risk for a private LL.

I did once rent a property to a similar organisation and the problem was not the tenant but her boyfriend...
              18-09-2020, 14:49 PM
            • Housing First - what are your thoughts?
              by LandlordLiaisonOfficer
              Hello,

I work for a homeless charity and I am hoping you don't mind me bending your ear and gaining some landlord insight on a model we are imminently implementing for some of our service users.

Traditional housing models within the homeless sector require the service user...
              18-09-2020, 12:32 PM
            • Reply to Part furnished
              by jpucng62
              Hope you held on to the deposit
              18-09-2020, 14:45 PM
            • Part furnished
              by Chester Perry
              Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
              18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
              by Chester Perry
              I posted elsewhere on here and feedback was a mix of its not worth it as nothing will happen (plus police will treat as a tenancy issue) and its worth doing to get a crime number.

Not going to claim on insurance given excess etc. The fridge freezers value second hand / age considered probably...
              18-09-2020, 14:22 PM
            • Reply to Landlord refuses to sign inventory
              by jpkeates
              A 15 year old washing machine has almost zero value (and will have less when you move out).
              The landlord can only legitimately claim for their loss if you bin it.

A mid range washing machine is about £350 (and they haven't changed much in price recently), and imagining one would...
              18-09-2020, 14:14 PM
            • Landlord refuses to sign inventory
              by Bumblebee3000
              We've recently rented a house that from the very start seemed badly taken care of - there were various problems like a mouldy washing machine/curtains, broken curtain rails, etc. When we arrived to meet the inventory clerk, we signed a 2-page document of handwritten inventory notes (we broadly agreed...
              17-09-2020, 20:13 PM
              by theartfullodger
              Trust you've reported the thefts to police
              18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
            • Reply to Landlord refuses to sign inventory
              by Bumblebee3000
              This is very helpful, MdeB, thank you. I will try to relax about the inventory now. In regards to the mould - the landlord has a letter from the curtain cleaning company stating that the mould has been "killed" during the cleaning. I actually spoke with the curtain cleaner when he was here...
              18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
            • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
              by jpkeates
              The process seems to have changed recently.
              The landlord claims from the deposit and that claim should have a summary of what they are claiming and why.
              You dispute that and then you both have one chance to explain your side of the story.
              But you do that with only access to what the...
              18-09-2020, 13:57 PM
            Working...
            X