Fraudulent behaviour & Gross Misconduct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fraudulent behaviour & Gross Misconduct

I have a tenant who has tried to decieve me out of a portion of rent. She deposited a lesser amount into my bank account than the amount she typed into the deposit machine. She later admitted to the bank about this but continued to state to me via email that the correct amount was placed in attaching the deposit slip with the email. The bank wrote to me about it.

Can I evict her on gross misconduct for this?

If this is fraudulent behaviour I am wondering if I would have to infrom the Police and the bank.

Originally posted by rich hand View Post
    Can I evict her on gross misconduct for this?

If this is fraudulent behaviour I am wondering if I would have to infrom the Police and the bank.
    I've never heard the term "gross misconduct" used in connection with a tenancy agreement - it normally refers to (eg)contract of employment as far as I know.

I think you'd be on thin ice relying on this in court. The attempt at underpaying you in this manner is so blatantly stupid that I doubt it could even count as attempted fraud... if she'd posted £200 cash through your letter box along with a letter stating "please find enclosed £400" then at least it would be a her-word-against-yours scenario, but to try to do it via a bank? Duh.

I agree I would want to lose ASAP any tenant who tried to pull a stunt like that, but personally I doubt you have anything to use against her other than the arrears of however much the discrepancy was.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
      I've never heard the term "gross misconduct" used in connection with a tenancy agreement - it normally refers to (eg)contract of employment as far as I know.

I think you'd be on thin ice relying on this in court. The attempt at underpaying you in this manner is so blatantly stupid that I doubt it could even count as attempted fraud... if she'd posted £200 cash through your letter box along with a letter stating "please find enclosed £400" then at least it would be a her-word-against-yours scenario, but to try to do it via a bank? Duh.

I agree I would want to lose ASAP any tenant who tried to pull a stunt like that, but personally I doubt you have anything to use against her other than the arrears of however much the discrepancy was.
      Yes there probably isnt a case for gross misconduct in tenancy, I may have been getting mixed up. Thanks for you reply.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Evacuation of Tenant
        by nukecad
        Just to note that you should only deduct their usual rent for the period they were in the alternative accommodation, even if it cost you more than that. (If it cost you less then you win a bit).

ie. They should only pay their normal rent, you or your insurance should cover any extra. (That's...
        20-04-2021, 05:45 AM
      • Evacuation of Tenant
        by berrahri
        There was a landslide and my Tenant had to be evacuated. They cannot return because access to the property is not safe.
        They had been reasonably okay Tenants, but as soon as this event occured they have treated me like the enemy! Everything I have advised appears to have been treated with suspicion...
        19-04-2021, 00:23 AM
      • Reply to Tenancymtenant not vacate, offers 1/3rd rent for 3 months then leave
        by Jon66
        Jeremy you need to go and take some landlord training. You will find it most helpful because you clearly don't understand the statutory framework around which you are doing business and that's not a good idea.

The tenant is perfectly entitled to remain in the property after the fixed term...
        20-04-2021, 01:28 AM
      • Tenancymtenant not vacate, offers 1/3rd rent for 3 months then leave
        by Jeremyst
        AST tenant has completed tenancy but has refused to move out. Today he proposed to pay 1/3rd of most recent rent per month for 3 months then leave.
        If I were to agree what paperwork (contract?) do I have to have in place? If I agreed to his proposal what rights would he have as a tenant during...
        19-04-2021, 21:49 PM
      • Reply to How best to serve a section 21 (6a) document?
        by Jon66
        Service is governed by the CPR and practice directions. Easy to look up if you Google CPR rules. I think its 6. It is perfectly ok to hand deliver making a note of date and time and confirming this in a sworn witness statement, although I also get a photo too where possible. Otherwise through the post...
        20-04-2021, 01:20 AM
      • How best to serve a section 21 (6a) document?
        by Madmax86
        Hi all

First time serving a section 21 notice.

Been reading online and seems to be mixed responses about the best way to serve it.

I initially thought recorded or special delivery would be the best as it is tracked however if it's not received it can be deemed...
        19-04-2021, 17:42 PM
        by berrahri
        Thank you for your response, we have already settled the Deposit and I will now propose as you suggest with the rent return, deducting the alt accommodation cost. Hopefully they will accept and we can move on.
        19-04-2021, 23:36 PM
        by Jon66
        It's a civil matter. If your tenants were unable to remain in the property the usual position, unless the TA says you will provide alternative accommodation, is that the contract is frustrated and void from that point. The right thing to do is to refund the monies either from the date at which they...
        19-04-2021, 23:15 PM
        by theartfullodger
        HOW has tenancy ended? Notice from tenant or court order?

A fixed term tenancy is always, if tenant remains, followed by an ongoing, rolling, periodic tenancy. Thatcher's 1988 Housing Act says so.

Or have I misunderstood (again) ?
        19-04-2021, 22:21 PM
        by TTTT
        Don’t do it. It’s like paying a blackmailer who keeps spare copies of the incriminating evidence and will ask you for more money or discount later on. You might as well tell him if he is week late with the rent, you will get a CCj on him but if he moves out in a month, you will give him say...
        19-04-2021, 22:08 PM
      Working...
      X