Rent increase by s.13 never took effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent increase by s.13 never took effect

I rented out my former home to a young woman and her son in Sept 05 at a rent (£350 pcm) below the local market rate as I wanted to get the property let quickly. She applied for and received full housing benefit covering this amount to be paid directly to me.
    I served a Section 13 notice on her in November 2006 with a rent increase to £425pcm (this was still below the rate for other similar properties in the area). She submitted this to the council, to be told that rent increases are only considered on the anniversary of the start of the tenancy. I agreed not to charge the tenant the increase until it was reviewed by the Rent Service, but in Sept 07 the decision came back that £350 was the appropriate rent. I was ill at the time and did not pursue the issue. The rent therefore has remained the same.
    The LHA for two bedroomed houses in my area is £475.02 per month, but I would be satisfied with £425. Should I do another Section 13 notice for my tenant to submit to the council? A new tenancy agreement is another option, but there would no doubt be a delay before the new housing benefit claim was paid and I would have to arrange for deposit protection.
    Sorry this is so long-winded, hope it makes sense.

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X